Wivern spinner : red or maroon ?

bertopinal

I'm finishing my Trumpeter 1/48 Wivern in the colours of the 830 Sqdn during the Suez campaign.  A terrible doubt : the spinner and the finlets where red as indicated in the instruction or maroon as indicated in a old SAM article ?

TIA

Roberto from Italy

I used Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red which is kind of maroonish

EDIT: the diagonal strip on the finlet wasn't added during the campaign. Rockets weren't used until the end of the campaign but the rails were still on the wings and no RATOG. Aircraft at the start of the conflict had call signs painted out

Edited by fubar57

30 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

I used Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red which is kind of maroonish

EDIT: the diagonal strip on the finlet wasn't added during the campaign. Rockets weren't used but the rails were still on the wings and no RATOG. Some aircraft at the start of the conflict didn't have nose numbers applied yet

Many thanks. No idea of Humbrol equivalent of XF-9 ?

Amended Post #2 to mention that call signs as well as the yellow finlet stripe weren't used during the campaign. In a photo one aircraft, #371 didn't have campaign stripes added yet

blackadder57-170218-58a794d0dda69.jpg

This is the aircraft of Lt. Cdr. “Smokey” Cowling moments before bailing out on Day 5 of the campaign, note lack of finlet stripe and numbers. I received a letter from his nephew after I posted the model on line and in it he mentioned what was happening in the photo. Unknown to me, most Wyvern pilots were killed or seriously wounded during ejection and no one knew why. "Smokey" radioed his wingman to take a photo of him bailing out to possibly record what may have occured to the other pilots. His nephew said "Smokey" regretted the photo mis-timing of the bailout without finding an answer

Edited by fubar57
freakin' negative typos man and made the closing sentence a little clearer
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Amended Post #2 to mention that call signs as well as the yellow finlet stripe weren't used during the campaign.

In 'Wyvern from the cockpit' by Michael J Doust there is a picture taken in November 1956 (another source says December) on HMS Eagle,of 830 Sqn's Wyverns,370,371,373 and 378 with the Suez stripes. They do not have the stripe on the fillet.

A slightly later picture shows the aircraft with tanks,empty rocket rails and a 1000lb bomb on the centre line pylon.Full Suez stripes,nose codes painted out (but 'J' still on tail) No fillet stripe.

The Squadron colour was actually 'Royal Purple' ( Source above book/Commander John Dunphy)

The only reference to the fillet stripes is that they were there for 'most of their service'

CO had three 'Golden Yellow' stripes on the finlet (WN328/371J) Senior Pilot two stripes (WN326/375J)  and the rest,one.

The fact that the above two aircraft have their codes on the rear fuselage indicates pre-Suez (Codes on nose by that time) so at a guess the finlet stripes were removed around that time.

• Thanks 1

EDIT:  IGNORE THIS.See next post by @Graham Boak                                                                                                                                                                                    I had that nagging feeling that I had seen a photo of the Wyverns of 830 Sqn with no Suez stripes,no code numbers and with the fillet stripe.

I dug through my collection and found it.

Sorry to add to the confusion but at least you now have a variety so you don't have to have the model finished the same as everybody else!

a6102182-53e2-4c9e-8ad0-878e7b0c2345.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Looks like a number aft of the roundel

You are correct,I never saw that. :dunce:

I cannot remember the source of the photo but I had it filed under 'Suez' but with your observation that now appears wrong.

It only has the one stripe (much clearer on original)

@bertopinal

Ignore my last post! Just treat it like a nice Wyvern photo :)

1 hour ago, Tony C said:

I went with maroon and after a search, used Railmatch Authentic Colour306 BR Maroon

28202414812_97825b4800_o.jpg

28228019781_c1379cccce_o.jpg

Fabulous Wyvern Tony C - one of Trumpeters successful kits  - I had a look back at your original post of it as well as your Gannet but unfortunately Photobucket has done its deletion of the photos - would love to see photo some of your older models on BM

CJP

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graham T said:

Blimey, what model is THAT?  Beautiful.

21 hours ago, CJP said:

Fabulous Wyvern Tony C - one of Trumpeters successful kits  - I had a look back at your original post of it as well as your Gannet but unfortunately Photobucket has done its deletion of the photos - would love to see photo some of your older models on BM

CJP

Thanks both, yes its the 1:48 Trumpeter Wyvern and as you say, one of their better kits!

Wasn't aware that I'd used Photobucket, thought I'd migrated to Flikr by then but will certainly look into replacing them as time allows!

As for the Railmatch paints, if you can locate them, they are a useful source for the odd colours that occasionally pop up and also used them on the Classic Airframes Seahawk, that I finished in a Green/White Admiral's scheme!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:38, fubar57 said:

blackadder57-170218-58a794d0dda69.jpg

This is the aircraft of Lt. Cdr. “Smokey” Cowling moments before bailing out on Day 5 of the campaign, note lack of finlet stripe and numbers. I received a letter from his nephew after I posted the model on line and in it he mentioned what was happening in the photo. Unknown to me, most Wyvern pilots were killed or seriously wounded during ejection and no one knew why. "Smokey" radioed his wingman to take a photo of him bailing out to possibly record what may have occured to the other pilots. His nephew said "Smokey" regretted the photo mis-timing of the bailout without finding an answer

Sorry, I have to ask: what happened to Lt. Cdr. Cowling?  Did he survive?

Neil

• Like 1