Badger 200 NH problems

beetcleaner

I use a Badger 200 NH single action airbrush. It has started to "pulse" when I'm using it ie I depress the trigger and although paint comes it out it is uneven with a regular amount of paint being sprayed quickly followed by hardly any paint at all.   This happens even with neat white spirit  in the jar.

Sometimes when I press the trigger nothing will happen for a couple of seconds then paint will be sprayed then the pulsing starts again. The compressor water trap is clear and Im       spraying at 20psi. The pulsing does not happen when the paint jar has been removed and Im spraying air only

The airbrush is stripped and cleaned every time I use it and I only ever spray Humbrol enamels thinned with white spirit. The needle is not bent or scratched and when I push it through the handle of the airbrush it is tight when it goes through the teflon seal prior to seating in the head of the airbrush.

I have even soaked the nozzle tip and head assembly in cellulose thinners overnight in case there is some hardened paint inside somewhere but that hasnt helped. I might add that I have not sprayed any cellulose thinners through the actual airbrush at any time and the nozzle tip  and head assembly is always  cleaned with white spirit before attaching to the airbrush

Can anyone offer any advice please as Ive never had this problem before and I  cant think of anything else to try. Thankyou

I’ve got the same airbrush and I find where the air line connects to the brush, you unscrew it and it shows the point that gives you resistance to the trigger. Make sure this is clean and where it screws into is clean. Is the air hole on the glass jar unblocked. 

Steve.

Steve

Thankyou for the reply. Yes the part  you mention is clean and tight to the body. I frequently remove this part and oil  the assembly with very fine watch oil to  make sure nothing is jammed. Hole in paint jar is also clean. Im wondering if its the teflon needle bearing thats gone. Does Badger have a UK service centre as I understand the bearing would be replaced under the lifetime warranty?

Had the same problem with my 200NH, I only airbrush enamels usually thinned with Xtracolor thinner, and I too clean my airbrush out every time I use it. I found that the air valve was sticking so I had to remove it and clean it every time, this was a pain. So I started to use aerosol Badger cleaner on mine and in no time at all the problem went away and it hasn't come back. I just blow out all the paint, put some thinners in (white spirit) clear the airbrush of paint, then remove the needle and give it a blast right through with the Badger cleaner, remove the side cup and do the same to the front end.

Cheers

Dennis

Had the same problem myself many years ago with the Badger 200. The most common cause is the small teflon head washer that fits on the threaded section behind the head assembly. If that washer is flattened or missing the brush will pulse like you describe. Check this part first as it's a very easy and cheap fix. Other causes could be a split tip or worse still the needle bearing. I sent mine to Badger thinking they would replace it under their lifetime warranty, but they actually charged me for the replacement part and labour to fit it..

• Like 1

Don’t forget that the 200 series and the 150 series need a bit of bees wax on the thread of the main head assembly to seal it properly. With good cleaning of the brush you would of removed it so it’s one of the first things that I would look at tbh.

Badger sell little tubs of wax just for maintaining the head assembly so if the Teflon seal is okay and the needle looks fine then I’d deffo get some. It’s cheap and easy to use and it won’t do you any harm in the long run. 

• Like 1