Canadair Sabre Mk2

franky boy

Hello chaps

Can someone please advise the easiest route to a Sabre Mk2 in 1/48 scale please.

As I understand it the Mk2 was equivalent to the F-86E but I can’t find an Academy or other kit for love nor money.

And also which would be the correct wings for this mark as Sabre wings always confuse me?

Thanks 

James

Hi Wez

Operated by Canada in West Germany.

Thanks 

James

44 minutes ago, Wez said:

Which operator James?  Canada, Greece, Turkey?  All flew Sabre 2's, that would also help determine what wings were fitted.

So that could be either a slat-wing or a hard wing Sabre depending on time-frame (that's if the Canadians got around to fitting hard wings to their Sabre 2's whilst they were in Europe).

The Academy kit has a hard wing, Hasegawa do a later F-40 series Sabre which whilst it has a slat wing it is also a long-span wing which would need to be shortened for a Sabre 2, quite what the chord is of the longer wing I'm not so sure @Sabrejet would know.  Revell did a boxing of the Hasegawa kit in Bundesluftwaffe markings which would be a cheaper option if you could find it.  It provides the wingtips to allow you to shorten the span.

A distinctive feature to my mind of the Sabre A through early E (which is effectively what a Sabre 2 is), is the Vee-shaped windscreen, it would be something I would look for in any model claiming to be a Sabre 2.

Both the Academy and Hasegawa kits being for later versions feature a few details which would need to be dealt with for accuracy such as various intakes etc, it depends upon how fussy you are.  I don't pretend to know all the details but others do.

HTH

Edited by Wez

Canadian Sabre 2s in Europe: narrow-chord wing with slats, vee-shaped windshield; larger side screens. Other minor differences but sadly no-one does this in 1/48. IIRC there is a 1/48 conversion set but the windshield is the wrong shape, so you still don't really get there. I have a long-term conversion project to do it with the Hasegawa fuselage, mated to the Revell/Monogram F-86D wings and with a scratch-built screen. 

I think I'm hoping that someone will do a 1/48 F-86A in fact (and not try anything daft like trying to pretend you can do an early F-86E from the same moulds). A Sabre 2 is a bit of a rare beast, but if a manufacturer was prepared to do a separate aft fuselage then the whole raft of F-86A/early F-86E/Canadair Sabre 1 thru 3 would be possible.

One day maybe!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Canadian Sabre 2s in Europe: narrow-chord wing with slats, vee-shaped windshield; larger side screens. Other minor differences but sadly no-one does this in 1/48. IIRC there is a 1/48 conversion set but the windshield is the wrong shape, so you still don't really get there. I have a long-term conversion project to do it with the Hasegawa fuselage, mated to the Revell/Monogram F-86D wings and with a scratch-built screen. 

I think I'm hoping that someone will do a 1/48 F-86A in fact (and not try anything daft like trying to pretend you can do an early F-86E from the same moulds). A Sabre 2 is a bit of a rare beast, but if a manufacturer was prepared to do a separate aft fuselage then the whole raft of F-86A/early F-86E/Canadair Sabre 1 thru 3 would be possible.

One day maybe!

SJ- Didn't Cutting Edge do a set of resin wing slats and v-windscreen for F-86A/E's in 1/48? I have two sets in 1/72. Never really examined my windscreen- it's not correct? Great- now that's another vacform master I need to make! Wish Falcon had done them in both scales! (Sabre 2 has the same all-flying stab as the  E's and F's?)

Mike

11 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

SJ- Didn't Cutting Edge do a set of resin wing slats and v-windscreen for F-86A/E's in 1/48? I have two sets in 1/72. Never really examined my windscreen- it's not correct? Great- now that's another vacform master I need to make! Wish Falcon had done them in both scales! (Sabre 2 has the same all-flying stab as the  E's and F's?)

Mike

Mike,

I recall Cutting Edge doing an F-86A conversion set in 1/48th, never saw one as it was out of my price range at the time.

You're correct, the Sabre 2 has the same all-flying stab as the E/F as a Sabre 2 equates to an early F-86E.

Pavla did the earlier canopy in 1/72nd, don't know if it's currently available, I haven't got one and I can't vouch for it.

Edited by Wez

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

Mike,

I recall Cutting Edge doing an F-86A conversion set in 1/48th, never saw one as it was out of my price range at the time.

You're correct, the Sabre 2 has the same all-flying stab as the E/F as a Sabre 2 equates to an early F-86E.

Pavla did the earlier canopy in 1/72nd, don't know if it's currently available, I haven't got one and I can't vouch for it.

Oh wow- I think I might have a Pavla canopy- I'm off to the hobby/war room to check the stash! (I've got too d--- many resin, etched, and vacform bits to keep track of, it seems!) Thanks for the heads-up!

Mike

From what I've seen of the Cutting Edge conversion, the v-part is too pronounced (that is, too deep in section) and the side screens are the wrong shape. Not sure about the Pavla 1/72 but the Matchbox 'F-86A' is not even worth considering while we're talking about it.

49 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

From what I've seen of the Cutting Edge conversion, the v-part is too pronounced (that is, too deep in section) and the side screens are the wrong shape. Not sure about the Pavla 1/72 but the Matchbox 'F-86A' is not even worth considering while we're talking about it.

Yep- and I've had two of them on the shelf waiting to be grafted onto an F-86F to make an A.  Maybe if I start, we'll get a new-tool state-of-the-art kit! I have posted a link to the Pavla canopy- see what you think. I also posted a link to several views of an actual F-86A/early E canopy for all those interested. I still dream of a new-too F-86A with slates, proper speedbrakes, and canopy...it could even be in 1/48!

Mike

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-86A-Sabre-for-Airfix.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/f-86a-canopy-t189547-s10.html

Edited by 72modeler
added links

Interesting links: I see a couple of my photos on the Hyperscale 2012 site, even though I wasn't a member until recently!

Those F-86A conversion sets look like parts of other kits: slat sections in 1/48 look like Revell/Monogram F-86D and the wings on the 1/72 (as stated) Airfix. In all cases the speed brake detail is wrong for the F-86A.

In fairness however the Pavla canopy looks pretty good!

The 72nd Pavla canopy Mike (72modeler) shows in his post, is correct for the F-86A/Sabre 2  

Also in 72nd, not sure of availability, but Kiwi wings do/did a resin drop-in replacement wing for the Airfix kit that is the narrow-cord, slated wing … otherwise you have 2 other options (both applicable to all scales) and they are to take a 6-3 wing from an existing Sabre kit (hard-edge or slatted) and cut it down by removing a wedge the length of the wing, that is a scale 6" at the root and 3" at the tip, just behind the panel line marking the inboard edge of the slats or hard-edge … then glue the wing back together. When fitted to the fuselage, the narrow-cord wing doesn't interfere with the ammo-bay door/footstep, like the full 6-3 wing does.  The other way to get a narrow-cord wing in any scale is to fit the wings from a F-86D to the 'future'  Sabre 2 fuselage.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Interesting links: I see a couple of my photos on the Hyperscale 2012 site, even though I wasn't a member until recently!

Those F-86A conversion sets look like parts of other kits: slat sections in 1/48 look like Revell/Monogram F-86D and the wings on the 1/72 (as stated) Airfix. In all cases the speed brake detail is wrong for the F-86A.

In fairness however the Pavla canopy looks pretty good!

Uh oh- now I'm going to have to look at F-86A and F-86E/F speedbrake/well photos to see what you're talking about...and I always thought they were the same!

Mike

• Like 1

F-86A (LH)

F-86A

F-86F (LH):

F-86F

F-86A (RH):

F-86A 2

F-86F (RH):

F-86F 2

Differences mainly due to the extra hydraulics on F-86E/F etc. Brake wells on most F-86A + interior of the brake panels should be interior green. As ever, restored examples give best opportunity for clarity, though often the paint schemes are dodgy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As the OP was inquiring about the Canadair Sabre 2, in particular, I felt the need to point out that the speed break wells were decidedly more cluttered than the illustrated F-86A in Sabrejet's previous post.. 

If the admin allows feels it won't infringe any copyright issues … I could scan 3 photos of Sabre 2's  that show the interior of the speed break wells, from Larry Millberry's book on the Canadair Sabre (OOP??) and post them.  They clearly show that they were decidedly more cluttered than a F-86A - more like Sabrejet's photos of the F-86E/F.  For those that have copies of the book, the photos I'm referring to are on Pgs. 44, 67 and 113. Unlike the F-86A, the Canadair Sabre 2 had the same all-flying tailplanes of the later Sabres/F-86's, which may explain (I'm no airframe tech) the additional clutter compared to the F-86A.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

60 Canadair Sabre Mk2s were operated in Korea by the US as the  F-86E-6.   In 1/48 scale you need to convert or replace the wing and obtain a Vee shaped windscreen.    The RCAF ones operated in Germany all had the narrow chord slatted wing.   Once overhauled and given to Greece and Turkey, they were equipped with the 6-3 fenced wing but retained their Vee windscreen.

previous posts cover most of it all anyway

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1