Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III

With all the decals applied and sealed in with a coat of Quick shine gloss, today I turned my attention to weathering the aircraft. I started by mixing up some black and light grey to make a wash for the underside, this was thinned down and brushed over the underside.

IMG_20190203_110631

When it was almost dry I rubbed it down (in direction of airflow), and it has highlighted the panel lines as well as creating some shading varient's on the black. Then I created a dirt wash for the top /camo sections of the aircraft using black and brown. I then repeated the exercise brushing it over the top of the aircraft, and rubbing off when nearly dry. I also mixed a small amount of black and rust to highlight sections of the build. Once dry I added a little chipping, using Vallejo silver and a cocktail stick. Finally I turned my attention to smoke stains on the wings. Firstly blasting a little black from the airbrush, before adding some Curtiss grey. I'm really happy with how the stains have come out.

IMG_20190203_142448

IMG_20190203_143932

I do have a question however, would there be smoke staining under the wings? I have looked online but can't find any photos, and would be greatful for a little help here. Now onto the stand.

• Like 10

I'm not an epert, but the exhausts sit very high and hot air goes upwards. It wouldn't also be good for the uc , I think and as a night bomber the flame dampers shouldn't go downwards, otherwise the flak would be very interested in. So maybe minmal stains there, I guess. Cheers

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

I do have a question however, would there be smoke staining under the wings? I have looked online but can't find any photos, and would be greatful for a little help here. Now onto the stand.

Lancaster exhausts patterns seem to go over the wings mostly, except for the outer exhausts on each outer nacelle. So the left outer nacelle's left exhausts will go below the wing, and so will the right outer nacelles's right exhaust. Some photos:

yxgsrXn.jpg

uC7mD2X.jpg

4QNGuMU.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:36 AM, Shelliecool said:

I do have a question however, would there be smoke staining under the wings? I have looked online but can't find any photos, and would be greatful for a little help here.

Mostly over the top and outboard of #1 and #4 under. However, if you have a very weathered aircraft, I've seen photos where you can plainly seem white streaking underneath all the engines. Given the exhausts are almost in line with the leading edge, it makes sense the air would flow over and under the wings at that point.

• Thanks 1

I have begun work on the stand for the Lancaster. I am using a wooden lid from a tea caddy, and a fishing float. First I sanded the wooden lid down, before filling the ring where the rubber seal once sat. Once the filler was dry I sanded it all down and masked it up.

IMG_20190205_220806

I plan to airbrush a faint roundel on the top, and have begun with a coat of white.

• Like 2

Great work going on here - love the exhaust staining on the wings - I think you've nailed it there. Looks just right. I think if you tried to reproduce the staining seen in elger's photos exactly, it would probably look unrealistic somehow even if it was more accurate. 

The base looks good also - it going to be a great model. :)

• Thanks 1

colour always helps I think, and in my best Blue Peter fashion...  

On 10/02/2014 at 22:03, Troy Smith said:

Hi Erik

Try looking through Etienne du Plessis flickr files, he has been posting up colour photos, he's also a member here

right, 50 Sq, 1942.

Note the mix of colours, and that the most outboard exhaust trails goes mostly under the wing, note outside of nacelle, and stain on tailplane

7809630994_a590554d7f_o.jpg

Perhaps clearer here, the light colour of internal framework or rear turret is also of note.

9422391637_7e0e686a79_o.jpg

101 Sq on the ground. Note stains on tailplane as well, also the plane in the background.

8685606534_766f0c3c25_o.jpg

Ground crews did clean this gunk off, the pale grey-brown is really soft an rubs off very easily.

I can only find this lo-res pic, it's famous, and really shows the exhaust pattern very well

p002989_m_Mikes_books_009.jpg

It's probably on the IWM site, found this though

large.jpg

and this

large.jpg

There are more, have a search, i tried 'Lancaster over target'

HTH

T

• Like 2

Once the blue had dried on the stand I masked it up again and gave it a blast if red, I then put it to one side and began the finishing touches on the aircraft.

IMG_20190210_100602

Firstly carefully attaching the bombs using tweezers, in the best arrangement to suit the stand it will fit too. I then added the props and spinners, as well as pitot tubes and the like. Once the glue was dry I masked up the clear sections, and gave the build several light coats of Vallejo satin varnish. 

IMG_20190210_121923

I then unmasked the stand, sanded the roundel down to weather it and gave it a coat of Quick shine gloss. Then the time came to secure the aircraft to the stand, I took time to build some Lego jack's to keep it level while the glue set.......and finally, she's finished. I have really enjoyed this build, the Lancaster is such an iconic aircraft and one I feel I know a little better for building. The kit went together well, caused little drama, and the Vallejo acrylics sprayed and settled very well. Thank you for joining me on this build, I hope I have done the aircraft justice.

IMG_20190210_153411IMG_20190210_153435IMG_20190210_153502IMG_20190210_153520

I will post more photos in the ready for inspection forum, thanks again.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 14

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

What they ALL said!

You have certainly done this one proud - what's next?

Roger

Thanks Roger😀, my next builds are Italeri's FW 189 A-1 and an Airfix Douglas Dauntless, both have had a splash of primer to the cockpit sections and are waiting for me to start. Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Thanks Roger😀, my next builds are Italeri's FW 189 A-1 and an Airfix Douglas Dauntless, both have had a splash of primer to the cockpit sections and are waiting for me to start. Thanks again,

Michelle.

I see much canopy masking in your future...

Lanc looks great.

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...