Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III

With the preshading dry, tonight I set up my airbrush in preparation for spraying the fuselage and wings Dark earth. I am using Vallejo model air acrylics for this build (purely because I like their consistency), and mixed up my paint 5 drops of acrylic to 1 drop of thinner. The paint sprayed nice and even, and has settled well. I am thinking she will need at least one more coat, as the paint is very transparent the preshading is too visible. All in all though she's taking shape.

2019-01-02_10-30-19

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

The underside is primed in light grey, I think the lighting has made it look white. Would you give it a coat of white before the black?

Thanks Shellie. As far as pre-shading goes you're way ahead of me on that technique and I'll watch with interest how the grey-under-black turns out. The DE's certainly looking good. :) 

• Thanks 1

How did I miss the start of this! I love it when a Lancaster comes together :pilot: (I looked for a people emoji with a mohawk but couldn't find one).

Seriously I am watching for techniques that I might use on one of my lancs when I start them. Maybe next month once MrsTheBear, MissTheBearJunior, and I settle into our new home.

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

Tonight I have airbrushed the second coat of Vallejo dark earth, again enjoying the ease with which it sprays. I'm going to leave the dark earth there, the preshading is still visible in places which was my aim. Once dry, I will mask her up ready for the first coat of Vallejo dark green.

2019-01-03_10-27-18

• Like 8

First coat of Vallejo Dark Green down, and although it sprayer well (as I'd expect) it's very transparent. The Dark Earth is still extremely visible, still it's only the first coat.

IMG_20190106_142619

The lighting makes it look pretty green, however to the naked eye it's still brown.

• Like 7

Yesterday I carefully removed the masking, and began masking the wings ready to paint the yellow wing tips. This evening I airbrushed a light coat of Vallejo yellow, this will need several coats especially on the darker primer on the underside of the wings, but I'm pleased with the way it has sprayed.

IMG_20190108_223555

IMG_20190108_223558

• Like 5

This evening I carefully masked up the camo and yellow sections of the aircraft, using Tamyia tape and tracing paper. This time I was careful to burnish the tape, and run some quick shine over the edge to hopefully eliminate any bleeding. Then I set to work airbrushing the black underside and fuselage. I have had a bad experience in the past, while building a Stirling, where the black wouldn't dry. In that instance I was using Tamyia black, and today I am using Vallejo so hopefully (fingers crossed) all will be ok. Anyway, the Vallejo sprayed nice and even, and it is now drying in the cupboard. One light coat down I am pretty happy with the result.

IMG_20190111_215419

IMG_20190111_215425

• Like 8

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:22, Shelliecool said:

Tape, scissors, lager,

What could possibly go wrong? Looking nice Michelle.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I have mixed up some more Vallejo black (this time 6 drops of black to 1 thinner) and airbrushed lightly over the black from last night (which I am relieved to say had dried). I decided to spray some areas more than others, hopefully giving it a worn and weathered look, and she is now drying in the cupboard.

IMG_20190112_220544

IMG_20190112_220546

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post I have unmasked the canopy and windows, and begun fitting the turrets. Firstly the upper turret on the fuselage, then the front turret on the nose.

IMG_20190121_224657

I then secured the rear turret in place, and in the process split the plastic seam in the small section of tail that holds it in.

IMG_20190121_224742

I have now done a quick fix, gluing the pieces back together, but this will need addressing once the glue is dry. I have also begun priming the props ready for a splash of colour.

IMG_20190121_223447

• Like 7

With a little extra glue, a sand, a spot of Mr.Surfacer, another sand and a top coat of Dark green, and I have managed to fix the problem with the seam of the rear turret housing. With that little problem sorted, I have begun airbrushing the bombs, first with a coat of Vallejo olive, then some Dark green, and finally a little Dark brown highlight.

IMG_20190124_225512

With the props drying also, it's all starting to come together.

• Like 8

Work has continued on the Lancaster, firstly I gave the aircraft a coat of Quick shine gloss varnish and once dry started looking at the decals. I say look at because decals are not my favourite job, so armed with Micro sol, warm water and cotton buds I set to work. Firstly on the top side of the aircraft.

IMG_20190130_175450

The decals went on well, no rips, and positioned nicely. I decided to cut the black lines that were in pairs to eliminate silvering on the clear parts in-between.

IMG_20190130_175502

I then began work on the underside, these are minimal and as luck would have it went on well. The aircraft is beginning to get it's personality.

• Like 10