Airfix SAM-2 reissue

LeeS

Hey!

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask a simple question:  Would anyone be interested in a reissue of the old Airfix SAM-2 kit?  It wouldn’t be in an Airfix box, but it would be from the original tooling.  It’s not been issued since the mid 70s due to one of the molds being damaged.  With today’s tech, recreating that mold is certainly possible.

• Like 5

Very interesting, besides the thought of either repairing the tool or recreating it the picture of the old box top is enough to make me dribble :) 

Might be worth getting hold of one of the mods about putting this thread into the manufacturer news section, may get some more eyes on it then if it's appropriate 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, Toe said:

Thanks!  Once this moves to the next stage I'll ask about that more. :-) 

I've been wanting, somehow, for many years to get this reissued.  Mostly as I never got to build one as a kid, and they are so expensive now I wouldn't dare!

I enquired about the condition of the remaining molds, and the cost of the replacement.  Now it's just a matter of ensuring enough can be sold to cover that :-)
Lee

On 11/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, Toe said:

Very interesting, besides the thought of either repairing the tool or recreating it the picture of the old box top is enough to make me dribble :) 

Might be worth getting hold of one of the mods about putting this thread into the manufacturer news section, may get some more eyes on it then if it's appropriate 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, LeeS said:

Hey!

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask a simple question:  Would anyone be interested in a reissue of the old Airfix SAM-2 kit?  It wouldn’t be in an Airfix box, but it would be from the original tooling.  It’s not been issued since the mid 70s due to one of the molds being damaged.  With today’s tech, recreating that mold is certainly possible.

This had me scampering to find my box. Why? For reasons not known, the tool for this kit was not delivered to Humbrol's Trun factory when Airfix was bought from General Mills in 1986. The Airfix Mould Register officially listed it as missing in 1999. The runners in my box appear to be from one mould (why would Airfix split a small kit between two tools - think of the resulting production problems). So it begs the questions: If you have the original tool, how did you come by it? And then, with today's tech, why would you wish to recreate a dated model in 1/76 that would be better served by an accurate one in 1/72?

i have the gran models sa2, not easy to assemble and in 1/72, the truck however is available from trumpeter, but a gs version.

it would not take much to convert it into a 5th wheel tractor though.

i recently saw a complete unmade model for £30!

i doubt i would get one unless it was cheap enough

I think its rarity has caused this kit to be bathed in the rosy light of nostalgia.  It wasn't that good when it first came out: I remember being disappointed by the quality of the one I bought on sight when it first appeared..  At the very least the wheels need to be replaced by ones that look a bit more ZIL-like (ISTR Scammell tank transporter ones being suggested).

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:06, LeeS said:

Hey!

Copyright issues?

Tommo.

On 7 December 2018 at 11:27, sandsmodels said:

i have the gran models sa2, not easy to assemble and in 1/72, the truck however is available from trumpeter, but a gs version.

it would not take much to convert it into a 5th wheel tractor though.

i recently saw a complete unmade model for £30!

i doubt i would get one unless it was cheap enough

The ICM zil 157 would be a better start, certainly more refined than the Trumpeter kit (although I only have an early one) it is quite an undertaking to turn it into a tow vehicle, lots of changes are needed, I started one years ago, was going to use the airfix model as a guide for the trailer but gave up on that idea as there were too many faults and ended up using the Trumpeter 1/35th as a better guide (and lots of photos) I will have to pick it up again someday and finish it off. Have the Gran models SA 2 that also requires a bit of work but is better than either the Airfix or Planet models version.

I think just the nostalgia factor and the lack of availability for nearly 4 decades would sell a lot of the Airfix kits. I'd certainly get a few so I wouldn't have to build the original Airfix issues I have.