German A4/V2 Rocket 03309 - 1:72 Revell

Paul A H

German A4/V2 Rocket

1:72 Revell (03309)

v2_01.jpg

The Vergeltungswaffe 2, commonly known as the V-2, was the first ballistic missile to be used in combat anywhere in the world. Although relatively simple by modern standards, it laid the foundations for the space programmes of the USA and the Soviet Union in the postwar period. The V-2 was a liquid-fuelled, single-stage rocket, steered by rudders placed on the tail fins and graphite vanes at the exhaust nozzle. Guidance was provided by two gyroscopes (one for horizontal and one for vertical) and an accelerometer providing inputs to an analogue computer.

From September 1944, over 3,000 V-2 rockets were launched against targets such as London, causing an estimated 9,000 civilian and military casualties. The British Government initially sought to suppress public information about the V-2 rockets, blaming the damage caused on gas main explosions. The public were not fooled however, and the V-2s acquired the sardonic nickname of "flying gas pipes". The missiles proved almost impossible to intercept, and the most effective countermeasure proved to be the disinformation system operated by MI5, whereby double agents fed false reports about the impact points and damage caused by V-2 attacks.

v2_02.jpg

v2_03.jpg

This model is a re-release of a kit released five years ago by Special Armour, the small scale AFV imprint of CMK. Inside the end-opening box are two sprues of grey and a small decal sheet. Even a cursory glance at the sprues indicates that this is as far from a limited run kit. The mouldings are pin sharp and there is a wealth of fine detail. The overall effect is reminiscent of a modern Eduard kit, which is quite a compliment. The kit is made up of almost fifty parts. This is pretty impressive for a rocket, but most of the parts are for the launch structure. The rocket itself is made up of two halves, split vertically, plus the four fins and the rocket exhaust. The latter part is nicely detailed but is made up of two halves and will require careful assembly in order to remove the join. 

v2_04.jpg

The rest of the parts are used for the launch platform, which can be finished in either launch position or stowed position. The platform is made up of well over twenty parts and is superbly detailed. It features accurately represented components such as the stabilising feet and the controls. A wheeled trolley is also provided, but this isn't used if you want to build the rocket in the launch position. The painting scheme shows four differnet rockets, from a black-and-white prototype through camouflaged in-service rockets and finishing with the emergency rockets used in 1945.

Conclusion

If you are expecting this to be a relatively simple kit with few parts, then you're in for a surprise. The rocket itself is superb, with fine surface details and precise engineering. The launch pad and transportation section are superbly complex, and I'll be paying close attention to the instructions when I finally get round to building mine. Highly recommended.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/12/2018 at 11:34, Smudger2 said:

I think i will have to buy this kit.

Me too - light years ahead of the condor one I have in the stash.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for dragging up this Zombie thread, but please be aware that while this kit is very accurate in many ways, there are also some issues with the instructions, as well as some missing key pieces, especially if you choose to display it in a "ready to go" launch configuration. I'm working on this very kit right now is the reason I know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, colin said:

Which is why I try to search for reviews where the kit is being made/been made as well as just the sprue reviews

I looked all over for reviews, but found very little. I also searched for Dragon, Takom and Revell 1:35 information, as well as some AFV Club stuff, found some, but just enough to somewhat ironically illustrate that the small kit is actually more accurate in several ways that its 1:35 brothers. There's also a 1:24 kit which looks OK (just OK), but it comes without a launch table, which seems sort of odd to me. I may snatch one anyway though, just to see what's what.