Air Anglia DC-3

Spad

Hi again Mark,

Well, you have an interesting choice of liveries for that period. Air Atlantique acquired several airframes from other operators which were operated in their previous colours schemes with the addition of Air Atlantique titles notably G-AMSV ex Skyways (Green cheatline), G-AMPO and MRA both Ex Eastern Airways (Red White and Blue livery) and G-APML Ex Martin Baker(Blue cheatline).

All except the latter eventually appeared in the company livery of overall white with wrap around bands of varying shades. Other members of the fleet notably G-AMPY, MCA and NAF had been operating in those colours for a while.

26 decals certainly did the wrap around schemes as well as Skyways. One of the Esci DC 3 boxings included Eastern livery but I think you may be hard pressed to find one with useable decals.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So I now have the 26Decals on their way in readiness for the off with the GB later this month.

Anybody got any good ideas on how to replicate those Transair style gear doors? Or even any decent photos up close so that I can at least work out how they are shaped? That and the eight window arrangement would seem to be the most challenging aspect of this build.

ATB
Rick

14 minutes ago, Spad said:

So I now have the 26Decals on their way in readiness for the off with the GB later this month.

Anybody got any good ideas on how to replicate those Transair style gear doors? Or even any decent photos up close so that I can at least work out how they are shaped? That and the eight window arrangement would seem to be the most challenging aspect of this build.

ATB
Rick

Well about those doors i have some vacformed ones and made the master for it myself, still not have finished those distinctive wheels as i need a little more time to finish the master....

They fit the Airfix kit but they are also very thin so if you are interested please feel free to contact me!

Cheers, Jan

On 12/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, jyguy said:

Hi again Mark,

Well, you have an interesting choice of liveries for that period. Air Atlantique acquired several airframes from other operators which were operated in their previous colours schemes with the addition of Air Atlantique titles notably G-AMSV ex Skyways (Green cheatline), G-AMPO and MRA both Ex Eastern Airways (Red White and Blue livery) and G-APML Ex Martin Baker(Blue cheatline).

All except the latter eventually appeared in the company livery of overall white with wrap around bands of varying shades. Other members of the fleet notably G-AMPY, MCA and NAF had been operating in those colours for a while.

26 decals certainly did the wrap around schemes as well as Skyways. One of the Esci DC 3 boxings included Eastern livery but I think you may be hard pressed to find one with useable decals.

Well, that’s interesting!

I remember way back in the 1970s (possibly, my memory isn’t what it was), I went to an air show at RAF Wattishsm.  Someone - not sure who - was offering flights in a DC3 / Dakota.  I paid my money and away we went.  What sticks in my memory is the unusual trek upwards from the entry door to my seat, and the rivets I could see on the wing.  A lovely trundle around my home county of Suffolk before all too soon recovering at Wattishsm.  The registration was, I’m sure, G-AMPO.

Happy memories.  A bit later I was a fairly regular Air UK passenger from Norwich to Amsterdam flying in F27 friendships.  A lovely airline, lovely aeroplane.  I have an Airfix 1/72 F27 kit and some Air Anglia decals it suit.  I must get round to building it one day soon.

Thankyou for stirring a good memory!

Jonny

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

YI remember, years ago, going to an airshow at (i’m sure) RAF Wattisham, and paying what I think were almost pennies for a ‘round the airfield’ trip in a DC3. I recall the aircraft registration as G.AMPO and it was was operated by Air Atlantique.

I *think* I read somewhere that the aeroplane might have been scrapped ... BUT does anyone have any idea if any 1/72 decals might be available for G.AMPO, in 1/72 scale?

Nostalgia creeping in here!   

This is is a problem (for me, anyway) with  Britmodeller ... see something in a thread, decide to emulate it, then sometimes almost as a few as minutes later, seeing something else!  But please, don’t change - I’ve enough planned projects to last my. Remaining lifetime and well into my next life! 

10 hours ago, Jonny said:

YI remember, years ago, going to an airshow at (i’m sure) RAF Wattisham, and paying what I think were almost pennies for a ‘round the airfield’ trip in a DC3. I recall the aircraft registration as G.AMPO and it was was operated by Air Atlantique.

I *think* I read somewhere that the aeroplane might have been scrapped ... BUT does anyone have any idea if any 1/72 decals might be available for G.AMPO, in 1/72 scale?

Nostalgia creeping in here!   

This is is a problem (for me, anyway) with  Britmodeller ... see something in a thread, decide to emulate it, then sometimes almost as a few as minutes later, seeing something else!  But please, don’t change - I’ve enough planned projects to last my. Remaining lifetime and well into my next life! 

I do have a set of decals with the esci dc3 "Eastern Airways" they cover both g-ampo & g-amra  if you're interested

2 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

I do have a set of decals with the esci dc3 "Eastern Airways" they cover both g-ampo & g-amra  if you're interested

That's very kind of you but frankly my stash has grown (almost) out of control and in the cold light of day I daren't add to it! 

Thanks for responding to my diatribe written late last night!

Jonny