Air Anglia DC-3

Spad

Many years ago my Primary School organised a day-trip out to Norwich where we boarded an Air Anglia DC-3 (G-AMPZ I believe) and went for an hour around Norfolk, including overflying home at Marham.

I have always harboured an ambition to build this machine in 1/72 scale (ideally but open to 1/144. Can anybody point me to a set of decals for one of these aircraft - doesn't have to be "our" aircraft but even better if they are.

Thanks
Rick

Wow! That was quick even by BM standards - Thank you so much Ian!

I'll be sure to post pics as and when I get around to the build

Cheers again

Rick

• Like 1

Ahh, I knew SJV rang a bell. At the risk of thread drift, I remember it wearing a smart Dark Blue and White colour scheme and later in warpaint being displayed to great effect by Ray and Mark Hanna.

IIRC Both G-AMPZ and G-AGJV had Eight cabin windows each side and both had Transair style half gear doors so would make interesting subjects compared to the Olive drab invasion striped examples.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2018 at 5:54 PM, Spad said:

Many years ago my Primary School organised a day-trip out to Norwich where we boarded an Air Anglia DC-3 (G-AMPZ I believe) and went for an hour around Norfolk, including overflying home at Marham.

I have always harboured an ambition to build this machine in 1/72 scale (ideally but open to 1/144. Can anybody point me to a set of decals for one of these aircraft - doesn't have to be "our" aircraft but even better if they are.

Thanks
Rick

S&M decals do Air Anglia's G-AOBN in 1/72 available from AJ Aviation at West Drayton here:

http://ajaviation.co.uk/s-m-decals/

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, Paul821 said:

@Spad if you can wait until Feb's next year, why not join the DC3 GB? It is in my calendar and I intend to build two East Anglian DC3's one military and one civilian.

That works for me - all being equal I'm in for that! Thanks!

Here's a pic I took with a Kodak Instamatic (remember those!?!) of what I believe to be the old girl - though it could be G-ANTD which was also present that day. The presence of those wheel doors makes me think it's 'MPZ though. Anybody?

46130164142_5300ae51ba_k.jpg

I made sure I was sat on the left, one or two seats in front of the door so that I was behind the wing and, so, was able to snap this as we flew over Marham.

46130219292_50f1289826_k.jpg

57 Sqn pan with a Victor Mk.1a (don't believe 57 had any Mk.1 tankers!) - note the lovely yellow fuel bowser and the shadow of the Dak!

Our house was about 100 yards off the top of the shot.

Happy days!

ATB
Rick

• Like 9

Hi Rick,

I remember the Instamatic well I used to carry One in the car in case of a prang.

The Dakota Pictured is definitely G-AMPZ, it was the only One to have that Ariel configuration.

DC-3 G-AMPZ (Air Anglia)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 26Decals said:

Decal is now finished and on my website :)

Might have to have a go with this one. I also flew in GJV at Greenham. My very first DC-3 flight.  It looks though , it needs thos odd looking undercarriage doors.

• Like 1

I think those pleasure flying trips for Air Anglia at Greenham were quite lucrative and as well as providing publicity made use of the aircraft over the weekends when their utilization was low.

For those building  One of the Air Anglia Dakota fleet I hope the following notes may be of help.

G-ANTD

Astrodome replaced with a flat circular piece of flat perspex. Two small windows in the top halves of each rear door.Eight cabin windows.Blank tail.

G-AOBN

Astrodome faired over. Black walkways at wing root outboard of fuel filler caps. Seven windows on each side.Rotating beacon on top of the fin. Tail Fairing fitted

G-AGJV

Black wing walkways. Small windows in doors, later changed to solid doors by 1975 when the aircraft carried Cargo titles in addition to the AA script. Eight cabin windows. Tail Fairing fitted

G-AMPZ

Astrodome faired in. Wing walkways present.Eight cabin windows each side. Tail fairing fitted.

The location and type of aerials fitted varied on individual airframes, but all had de-icing boots on wing tailplane and fin as well as the short carburettor air intakes. All Four were fitted with Transair style Gear doors, however, GJV had had them removed by the time she was sporting Cargo titles in 1975.

Guy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Apologies for the thread hijack, but a tenuously related question: I grew up in St Neots, Cambridgeshire and during the early-mid 1980s, a DC-3 would fly over every evening at around 9pm. You could pretty much set your watch by it and I'd always listen out for the distinctive drone. I'd always wondered who the operator might have been but, as you might imagine, searches on Google haven't thrown anything up. I know it's a long shot, but any suggestions as to who the operator might have been would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh happy days! Had my first ever flight in 'JV' at Greenham Common in July 1974...Looking forward to the 26 decals too. Found this while looking on 'tinternet... Not my photo so credit to the original photographer. 👍

46164215162_330b58f567_b.jpg  

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 4

That is a super picture I particularly like the light.

Interesting point the Cowl flaps are usually open on the ground especially with engines running as in the picture.IIRC the only manufacturer to represent them in the open position was the original 1960  Airfix kit.

Here is one built over 30 years ago for me before the luxury of aftermarket decals.

46164523152_53f3351798_o_d.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, jyguy said:

Hi Mark

Almost certainly Air Atlantique operating One of their Night contracts for the Royal Mail.The most likely being Stansted to Glasgow.

Thank you so much! I've spent years pondering the question and now I have a good place to start. I've always wanted to do a model of that (or one of those) DC-3(s).

Cheers,

Mark.