Correct Spray mask for Tamiya Primer

Dee1234

Hi,

I am new to modelling and are in the process of building a Zvedva Star Destroyer. I have been using the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer & Insignia White outside. I have put on some Safety Goggles and the following 3M face mask - https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4251-maintenance-free-organic-vapour-particulate-respirator-ffa1p2rd/13038

when I am spraying as well and some Nitrile gloves. Is this enough protection? I thought it would be but its just my chest feels a bit funny after spraying so was wondering if maybe I had the wrong filters? I could not smell the paint though and had a a further plastic liner over my head and the filter just in case.

Thanks for reading and any replies.

Dee

I used to use the same mask myself and never had any problems with a funny feeling chest. In fact it was a very decent mask. I've since swopped for a different one which is also very good. 

This one from Screwfix:

DRAEGER X-PLORE 3300+ PAINTERS & AGRICULTURAL HALF MASK WITH FILTERS A2-P3 (73127)

Edited by Steve Noble

59 minutes ago, Dee1234 said:

I thought it would be but its just my chest feels a bit funny after spraying so was wondering if maybe I had the wrong filters? I could not smell the paint though and had a a further plastic liner over my head and the filter just in case.

Um, you had a plastic liner over your head? Maybe the chest problem was you were struggling to breathe rather than inhaling any fumes! :)

Personally (and I am an asthmatic) I've never had any problems with the fumes from Tamiya primer - the pretty colours I see immediately after spraying always amuse me  :)

In all seriousness, the main reason I wear a mask is to avoid the paint dust rather than the fumes. I also have a very powerful spray booth that while it was more expensive than others, has been worth every penny! The volume of air it displaces is quite impressive.

• Haha 1

Hi, Dee. 

As a rough rule-of-thumb, if you can smell what you're spraying, then the mask is not doing its job properly (or is not doing it with 100% effectiveness). The fact that you were not aware of the smell when you used the primer suggests to me that the mask was working well. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

Um, you had a plastic liner over your head? Maybe the chest problem was you were struggling to breathe rather than inhaling any fumes! :)

I only thought it!..............Kallisti, ARE you my long lost Brother??????????

• Haha 1

Thanks for all replies, thought I would get a few comments about the plastic liner but I only had it on as I was advised the Tamiya spray was quite bad and chemicals vapor could possibly get through the skin (ie on face) and I dont have a full face mask.

Hi Dee,

sorry about the micky take, but you must admit it sounds slightly strange to be wearing a double filter mask and then donning a plastic bag!

To put your mind at rest, the 3M mask you have can take both the particulate filter and the vapour filter. As long as both are not past their 'sell by' your covered.

While many of us on here can be a little slapdash with regards health and safety, I've never had a problem with Tamiya acrylic paints, nor their aerosol cans.

My suggestion, ditch the plastic bag, try a short spell spraying and see how you feel.

Paul

• Like 1

As someone has already stated the best way to spray any paints is to have a decent extractor fan. All the smell and dust is extracted away. They're really not cheap, if you buy something decent, but you'll wonder how you ever sprayed without one once you've used one. The environment is just so nice and pleasant, once the extractor pulls away all the nasties..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

But you can spray them inside without leaving the work bench. It's better, especially in the colder months 😀

I have a extractor, but not sure I want to use a spray can inside even with that, their either off or full on when spraying 😉

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

Doesn't really need a mask either if spraying outside. Most of the fumes will simply blow away in the wind, so very little chance of exposure..

Not sure with that, you still can get a lung full with a spray can even when outside

9 hours ago, colin said:

I have a extractor, but not sure I want to use a spray can inside even with that, their either off or full on when spraying 😉

Not sure with that, you still can get a lung full with a spray can even when outside

Which makes the point that spraying outside is unpredictable and difficult to control. A good extractor fan will reduce the spread of aerosol waste down to next to nothing, I know this because I've got one and it is fantastic. Its the dust from the aerosol that concerns me not the fumes as much because the ventilation will deal with that. The paint dust is heavier and that concerns me more which is why I bought the neavy duty extractor fan earlier this year when I moved into my new house and shed.

The main component of the solvent in Tamiya primers is Butanol (and several of its isomers) and while this is classified as toxic, brief, low level exposure is not harmful, hence why it is allowed to be used in everyday paint products. Just avoid spraying it in your face as it will irritate your eyes and skin and don't spray it up your nose! If you check the other components (they are listed on the back of the can) you will find that all are either low toxicity or non-toxic but flammable. Only prolonged exposure would cause any problems.

If you are unsure, look them up using your search engine of choice, its not difficult to find explanations of each one and what its safety regime is but more than anything DON'T PANIC! 

• Like 1

I sprayed again outside Tamiya Insigina White, lungs seem ok this time. But as its cold here in Birmingham UK. ie below 10C/50F as I bought the model inside quickly (last time I let it dry for a bit then bought it in) and put in the cellar as its the only room where i could put it where no one will be about, certainly has stinked the cellar a bit. I put a cardboard box over the model to see if that reduces the smell.

I dont think I will spray the Primer or any Tamiya spray next time unless temps are above 10C and leave outside to dry for an hr at least before bringing inside.

It's difficult at best spraying outside in these colder months here in the UK. I use the extractor and spray inside all year round. But I only use primer from an aerosol and use the airbrush for all colour coats and clear. I spray the parts and then I place them into a Mr Dry Booth that's next to my spray extractor. This seems to keep all smells to a minimum so I never have any smell in the house. It's a really pleasant and stress free way to work 🙂

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of with the 3m organic vapour cartridges, we use them at work, is the activated charcoal filter in them is working all the time they're exposed which reduces their working live so between uses, keep them in a sealed zip lock bag with as much air as possible squeezed out & always use them with a pre filter to catch dried paint spray. In some ways your bin liner hood has some merit as it is possible to ingest fumes through your tear ducts but some close fitting safety glasses or goggles will limit any air movement around them.

Steve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Little bit of overkill for half a dozen kits don't you think @tank152 or is it just me? :whistle:

Paul

You'd be forgiven for thinking that stuff is what you do need to spray a bit of paint with some of the scaremongering that goes on on this forum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its easy to scoff @PhoenixII & @tank152 but having seen the effects of years of paint drift using spray marker cans as well as exposure to cellulose thinners over years, I for one don't take anything for granted now in that respect, nor will I think less of those who wish to be prudent in the use of paint & solvents & care to ask for advice. All strength to them IMHO.

Steve.

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Its easy to scoff @PhoenixII & @tank152 but having seen the effects of years of paint drift using spray marker cans as well as exposure to cellulose thinners over years, I for one don't take anything for granted now in that respect, nor will I think less of those who wish to be prudent in the use of paint & solvents & care to ask for advice. All strength to them IMHO.

Steve.

Yes but the difference here is that the exposure you're talking about was maybe over a shift at work, which in England is a minimum of 8hrs, 5 days a week. A bit different to the odd hour to spray a model!

Tamiya paint isn't dangerous or it wouldn't be available to buy over the counter. You really don't need to dress for Armageddon to use it, just common sense.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

not scoffing, but blown air head gear seems to me overkill for spraying half a dozen kits. Personally, I'd stick with a hairy stick, it'd be a damn sight cheaper.

The body shop owners around here use a double filter mask, end of. Full body respray and working with asbestos, that's a whole different ball game.

While I may seem a little blasé, that may be because in my last job I was dealing with the petro-chemical, oil and nuclear environment.

When you're in close contact with a silo, that if it went BANG would put a bay from the mouth of the Tees to the mouth of both the Humber and Tyne,

approximatly 100 miles (160 kilometers) the effects of a spray seem to fade into the background.

But, as always, it's 'different strokes for different folks'.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

But, as always, it's 'different strokes for different folks'

Exactly so. i take yours & @tank152's point re degree of exposure & with the experience I've had too, can see how its easy to go toward overkill for hobby stuff but not everyone has that degree of experience & confidence & if being uber cautious works for them, then thats their strokes I guess.

Steve.

The time to start worrying is when they start to replace the exclamation mark in the red diamond symbol for a skull and crossbones one on your paint of choice!

Also I was lead  to believe, when on my IOSH (Institution Of Safety & Health) course from work, it was only substances such as fuels and oils that can pass through your skin?

• Like 1