Another RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch

Weathering Deck 

20190830-214314-1.jpg

Spent the evening weathering the deck and found it quite difficult to do because it's such a large area. Initially, I went with the idea of a pin wash around the 'obstacles' and then dry-brushing these obstacles but the deck looked to 'new'. I bit the bullet and 'washed' the deck with Nuln Oil Shade from Citadel and I was a bit anxious to say the least 'cos if this 'went south'... Once dry, I then dry brushed the whole deck, including the decals and waited before blasting it with a varnish.

20190830-212250-1.jpg

A close-up of the forward section with the deck markings. I would have liked it a little 'softer' but I'm happy for a first attempt.

Most of the 'sticky-on' bits are ready to go on but as I have a sea base to do, it'll be easier to handle it at this stage and stick the other stuff on when it is secured to its base.

To do:

• Sea base
  • Two DIY cargo nets as per my previous ASRL build (pita)
  • Aerials (pita)
  • RAF mast flags (17mm x 8.5mm)
  • Put it all together

Stuart

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Coming along brilliantly Stuart nice paint job

Cheers Richard.

19 hours ago, Murdo said:

I like Nuln Oil for the kind of grimy look it gives.

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice weathering - that Nuln oil has delivered

Cheers Murdo & Rob. The Nuln oil works great on smaller stuff like the guns and stuff, superstructure at a push but I think it needs to be weaker and dry slower for something like the deck. 

Stuart

On 8/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, robgizlu said:

East Anglican FilmArchive: Raydon Airfield

That is wonderful footage of the Rescue launch in there Rob, thanks for posting that. Was I the only one that thought the cheerful looking RAF type that speaks to camera a couple of times looked rather like P.O Prune? ;)

This is coming on nicely Stuart, I've book marked this thread against the day I dig mine out. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

his is coming on nicely Stuart, I've book marked this thread against the day I dig mine out.

Thanks Steve. Bookmark away, glad it may be of help.

Sea base

20190901-191059.jpg

This is what I displayed my first ASRL in and will use this again. If you're interested, you can get them off 'that' site for about £11.

20190901-185538-1.jpg

Stuck a slab of 25mm insulation board onto the base and here I'm in the process of tarting-up the sides with plasticard. The sides are about 26mm high to allow a 1mm layer of acrylic water.

20190901-185635-1.jpg

Sat the hull in its hole to see how it looks.

Next phase is to prime and paint.

Thanks for dropping by.

Stuart

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being sloth like on this build, mainly down to a holiday, then the catch-up of garden chores and now a bit of lethargy due to a cold. 

20190923-195813-1.jpg

The base was primed with my go-to Halfords grey primer. The base edges were then painted satin black to match the surrounding frame and then masked. The sea base was then painted with a dark blue/grey, another Halfords paint. When dry, the launch was secured in place on a bed of clear silicon sealant and allowed to dry. Next up was the 'water', an acrylic pouring medium by Liquitex, Next up will be to make it more dynamic.

Stuart

• Like 7

On 9/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, Murdo said:

Looking very nice

Thanks Murdo.

Not feeling 100% so nothing too taxing.

20190925-172011-1.jpg

Clear acrylic gel from Vallejo was stippled onto the base using palette knife, this will hopefully dry clear and if not, a little airbrush work will be needed. Once happy, I'll add some wake stuff to give a sense of movement.

Stuart 

• Like 9

On 9/25/2019 at 8:24 PM, robgizlu said:

Classey :coolio:

On 9/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, DJJunis said:

Really excellent Stuart!

Cheers Rob and Don.

Sorry, no update today as I've been to a regional model show. Had a great time and walked out with this...

20190929-181450-1.jpg

...now I know it's not a launch but for £15, I couldn't say know, it'll give me the chance to learn new skills or send me to the 'padded cell'. I'm not sure when I'll get round to starting this but I should think it'll be one of those slow burners...it will be going on a sea base though.

Stuart

• Like 7

Good bargain that, will be an interesting project.

Waters looking spot on, as of course is the launch. I like the method you used, may try it on Exeter (shameless stealing of methods) and thanks for the tip on the display case, will be going shopping in a mo for one or three!

Geoff 

33 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Good bargain that, will be an interesting project.

Waters looking spot on, as of course is the launch. I like the method you used, may try it on Exeter (shameless stealing of methods) and thanks for the tip on the display case, will be going shopping in a mo for one or three!

Cheers Geoff. Stealing methods and ideas is BM's signature. Hope those cases serve your purpose.

Stuart

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

Had a great time and walked out with this...

20190929-181450-1.jpg

Now that's different to a Sabre! I picked up a few nice bargains at the Bovington show, one of which was the Hobbyboss 1/350 Astute class submarine, and also an Academy 1/72 Sabre ........ my first Academy example  ..... so that's 3 Sabres down and 9 more to build! Nowhere close to your tally though.

Launch is coming on a treat.

Terry

• Like 1

A smashing little launch in the making there stuart a smart idea whith the insulation board too , a question though  if i may,the vallejo gel medium,

Has it dried clear , what are your thoughts on it over clear resin?

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Hewy. It's still early days with my water bases. Sorry, I can't comment on resin as I've only used acrylic pouring medium and Gel. The pouring medium does have its maximum thickness in one hit and I think that if you over do it, the thicker bits will remain milky, so you need to build it up in layers, no problems with the gel though.

Once I've got to a certain point on my floatplane, I'll be back on here and any milky areas will be sorted.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Thanks stuart, nice to know the vallejo gel clears  well ( your sea surface looks great)  ,the lms has it in stock,  and i have to pick up a  certain couple of royal navy 70s jets saturday so I'll round some up for my project 👍

• Like 1

Had a little time after a quick tea to apply myself to this base.

20191002-180426-1.jpg

By no means finished but here I've laid some quilt filling onto a bed of Vallejo acrylic gel medium and will allow to dry before titivating. Still got to sort the stern wake as yet but I like it.

Stuart 

• Like 5