Another RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, let's get into gear with this launch before I lose or break something.

20190817-173946-1.jpg

Vickers painted up. I know they look different but I forgot to buy enough at the time of purchase , 2/3 of the turret MG's will be hidden in the turrets, so...

20190817-172826-1.jpg

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the gun mounts were over size so I knocked up a pair of smaller ones which look a lot better.

20190817-172702-1.jpg

And before I turn my attention back to the Oerlikon gun mount, I thought I'd better start masking these b***dy turrets, I hate masking turrets.

Eyes hurt, getting frustrated, better put the other three down 'till tomorrow.

As I move ever closer towards painting, can you guys suggest how I go about doing some weathering on this launch as I've never weathered a boat before.

Chow for now.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I hate masking turrets.

I hate masking full stop! I suppose it's just a tedious necessity. First one looks pretty good. I think it was @CedB who shared a video some time ago (but this year) which showed how to mask using metal foil and a sharp blade. It was very convincing, and works well on multiple curves. I'll try and find the clip.

As for weathering, I'm not an expert but subtle oil washes work ok aircraft and AFV's, then also pastels to add wear and various streaks. Never weathered a boat/ship/vessel myself though but will watch how you get on for when I do the Vosper! 😁

Terry

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Coming along nicely Stuart, have you tried liquid mask

Cheers Richard. I know of liquid mask like Humbrol's Maskol but never thought about slapping on and when dry, cut the frames out. :hmmm:

Stuart

Nice work on the stands Stuart.

As to weathering - the truth is that nearly every pic I've seen of these craft shows them in pretty good nick - clean and tidy.

If you are going to the easiest and most reliable method IMHO  is to use  oils and for convenience, it's hard to beat the Mig "Oilbrushers".  I'd only buy 2 - "Starship Filth" and a lighter one to replicate salt and then use the "dab-on", "oil dot rendering" etc technique (lots of names).  I dab very small amounts of oil onto some cardboard which helps soak up the oil and then with a brush or a  cocktail stick - I dab on very small amounts to the model.  Using a flat dry brush I either scrub in dry or moisten with some white spirit for a lighter layer.  The trick is to work the oil in to build up tonal variation.  If you don't like it - you can remove it with a brush or cotton bud moistened in white spirit (and start again) It's very flexible and the oil takes up to 24 hrs to dry so you can go back if needs.  I deposit dirt (Starship filth) around the bases of vents, superstructure gun mounts etc which blends them in and replicates that you find on boats (Certainly sailing cruising boats!)  I'll let our retired professional folk comment on larger vessels

The single most important point about the above is the relaxed time you have to work

If you want a master class on weathering - certainly in 1/35 - check out Andy Moore @AndyRM101 either here on the site or on The Modelling News.  He recently built a Copper Models Lanchester armour car that's up in Armour RFI with a build log on the Modelling News that is a masterclass.

I know what you mean about masking - the ASR I built I hand painted the framing and probably will again - it's just too fiddly for me to mask.

Keep it coming

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice work on the stands Stuart.

As to weathering

Cheers Rob and thanks for the weathering ideas. As you say, these ASRL's tended to be looked after and kept relatively clean, so I'll be trying a subtle look.

Small update...

20190819-191402-1.jpg

The subject of the build in cir. 1944 so wouldn't be fitted withe the early mount supplied in Coastal Craft's 20mm Oerlikon kit. So we have the 20mm and shield being mounted on the kit option as it's later mount seen in most photos.

I also have masked up another half of a turret, did I say that I hate masking turrets...

At the moment the only thing left to make are the scramble nets, masking the other turret and think about the base. Not to far before primer and paint.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

How's 'Borderer' coming along?

Slowly!

I've relocated the 3 Perkasa model's prop shafts & added a third rudder (the Perkasa kit has 2), plus a lot of filling & sanding on the hull.  I should have a photo update soon.

John

• Like 1

Well here is another enthralling update for you guys.

20190824-165131-1.jpg

The hull has been painted a while but need a little touch after being moved around the cave a few times. The paint call-out as per instructions was Humbrol 27 but didn't have any and a trip round 'www' placed EDSG as a best match, so that's what it got; Colourcoats EDSG (ACRN02). You wouldn't think so by looking at the pic but it is.

20190824-164857-1.jpg

This being a first time in weathering boats, I was a little apprehensive about doing this because it being an RAF boat, it would've been kept pretty clean. So, after the main coat of EDSG had dried, selected parts were washed with 'Nuln Oil', a Citadel shade. I left that to dry while having a coffee break, then dry-brushed DSG over the top. Also demasked the turret glazing and built the tops with their guns.

20190824-165903-1.jpg

Front end view. Nothing glued down but I needed to place the see what the effect is and to make sure that weathering of these few parts wasn't too contrasty.

20190824-165926-1.jpg

Mid view.

20190824-165935-1.jpg

And the back end.

Not 100% about how I will weather the deck, we'll see but before I do that I need to get the decals on.

What do you guys think, more...less?

Stuart

• Like 10

On 8/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Terry1954 said:

That's come out really good Stuart, and I like the subtle weathering.

Cheers Terry but I'm not looking forward to doing the deck.

20190827-181837-1.jpg

Decals on and settling down with some 'Sol', particularly over the 'deadlights', is that what those oval things are?

Stuart

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

... Decals on and settling down with some 'Sol', particularly over the 'deadlights', is that what those oval things are?

Yes, you are correct.  I'm not sure how effective those things were at letting light in below decks.

John

• Like 1

Cheers John, at least I had remembered something what others have said.

I've watching a bit of For Those In Peril (1943), at about 1:50 onwards, I noticed an addition to the main mast that I hadn't noticed before. 

20190827-190122-1.jpg

And added this sticky-outy bit to the mast at what looks the right height. It's from this 'stick' that the RAF flag was flown. What is the proper name for said stick? What size is the flag flown from this position? The flag in the kit is way to thick and is designed to fly from the ensign mast, is that what it's called? So I'm going to have purchase or make this flag, ideas?

Stuart

• Like 2

Stuart - I Like the Grey shade you've gone for.  I suspect these boats used RAF paint (no surprise there !) and Dark Sea grey Or EDSG seem eminently reasonable, though I suspect there were differing colours between boats and times.

Stuart - you owe me a beer - I'v'e just spent 45mins digging this out as it didn't "store" in my bookmarks originally!!!!

East Anglican FilmArchive: Raydon Airfield

The first bit is P51's (ignore them).  The second bit is RAF Whaleback launches in colour!  Washed out wartime film but fascinating.  The colour looks much lighter on the superstructure - much closer to "Spitfire" Ocean Grey.  See what you think!

And I stand to be corrected but my lot of yachties would call that a flagstaff.

Well done for the decal over the deadlights - I've shaved my deadlights off previously.  it was only from John's PT blog that I found out what they were (Duhhh)

Enjoy the video!!

Regards

Rob (Triumphant at having found it again!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That 'sticky-outy bit' :D would be called the 'Gaff'.

From what I remember, the flag size would vary based on the length of the ship.  I could be corrected (I'm going by memory :crosseyed:), but it seems smaller craft, e.g. MTB's, could fly an ensign as small 90 X 180 cm (3' X 6').  The length to width ratio of most flags is 2:1.

John

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

you owe me a beer

Cheers mate, an interesting bit of film footage. It highlights to me that when it comes to maritime subjects like these launches, that no matter who operates/ owns them, no two look the same.

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

would be called the 'Gaff'.

Cheers John, gaff it is. Thanks for the flag size. I think that when comes to it, I'll print it as a decal and put it onto some foil.

Stuart 

Hi Stuart.

Watching Rob's linked video, it looks like the flags on the boats were smaller than 90 X 180.  They might even be 61 X 122 cm (2' X 4') or smaller.

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

I think that when comes to it, I'll print it as a decal and put it onto some foil.

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup2:

John

• Like 2