Another RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch

8 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice knitting Stuart would the nets have been tied down to the deck when not in use. :book:

You're right, can't you see the tie-downs :rofl: . You didn't notice the lack of tie-downs on the first ASRL...tough crowd.:rofl: 

9 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Can I place an order for 3 sets please?

I wish I could oblige but the spiders :spider:have gone on holiday ⛷️

Stuart

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

You're right, can't you see the tie-downs :rofl: . You didn't notice the lack of tie-downs on the first ASRL...tough crowd.:rofl: 

I wish I could oblige but the spiders :spider:have gone on holiday ⛷️

Stuart

:whistle:;):rofl:

:goodjob:  Looking Fab

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Those nets look great, Stuart. :worthy:  Nice additions to your Rescue Launch.

Cheers John, not quite up to your standards.

1 hour ago, Murdo said:

Those are really nice looking lifebelts too.

Thanks Murdo. For such a grey subject, a little colour goes a long way.

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Looking Fab

Cheers Rob.

13 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Great nets Stuart. Will you be giving knitting display's at Telford?

Thanks Terry but no to knitting display, I'll be too busy buying stuff...better start thinking of my shopping list.

Stuart 

• Like 1

Can't put it off any longer...aerials.

20191026-155829-1.jpg

The black circles are the insulators that were stamp out from 0.5mm plasticard. Firstly, 2mm holes stamped out, then centred within the 3mm and stamped them out and painted black. Four lengths of Uschi line are readied for the ordeal ahead.

Stuart

• Like 3

20191026-165336.jpg

Just in case anybody is interested in how I do it...

1. Hold an end insulator with reversible tweezers and CA your four lengths of line, 90 degrees apart, to the insulator. Make sure that you leave enough line, say 50 mm, over-hanging.
  2. Twist the over-hanging line to produce a cone about 10 mm form insulator and CA the twisted section. This will be used as your attachment point when fixing it to your model.
  3. Using a second set of tweezers, hold the other end insulator at a distance to suit your build. In may case, the model fixing points were 95 mm apart, insulators will be about 75 mm apart, then allowing for the line stretch, I set my tweezers at 65 mm.
  4. With very little tension in your lines, carefully CA your lines onto the insulator as in step 1, ensuring that you have no line cross-overs.
  5. Repeat step 2.
  6. Fit additional insulators as required at the correct distances. In may case, it was midpoint, about 32.5 mm.

Next job is to fit this to the launch.

Stuart

• Like 12

Gidday Stuart, thanks for the technique on the rigging. I haven't rigged any of my models yet but I still wish to give it a go one day. I'm also impressed with your knitting and the life-rings.

7 hours ago, longshanks said:

Now that was easy, don't know what all the fuss was about . .

Kev, there's probably more in your statement here than you realize. I've found the same with my small AA guns I make. The idea of doing them can put me off initially, but I sometimes experiment with a few methods. When I find one that works the fear goes (well, a little bit 😁) and the enjoyment returns. So I guess there's truth in the statement "It's all in the technique."

And back to your build Stuart, she's looking really sleek. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

And back to your build Stuart, she's looking really sleek. Regards to all, Jeff.

Cheers Jeff. I know rigging can be a faff but it's all in the detail, it does finish the model off.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, Courageous said:

Cheers Jeff. I know rigging can be a faff but it's all in the detail, it does finish the model off.

Stuart

Quite so ;)

Good job Stuart, though I always feel the same trepidation   :wacko:

Rob

• Like 1

:book: Great guide for making the Aerials, shamelessly bookmarking that.

She's coming together now, and looking like a showstopper Stuart, really like the nets as well, they add a spot of colour.

Great stuff!

Geoff 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, Bugle07 said:

looking like a showstopper

I don't know about that but it's an improvement over my previous ASRL.

Anyhoo. eventually had the mindset to get on with the final bits on this ASRL.

20191105-200143-1.jpg

With the forward aerial made and fitted, that's the rigging done. Had a :doh: moment, I had forgotten to fit the screen and searchlight before the rigging, so the these were very carefully fitted. Moving outboard of the wheelhouse, the MG's with mounts are fitted. Printed a scale 4' RAF flag and fitted this to the gaff on the main mast.

20191105-200126-1.jpg

Oerlikon and mount fitted, followed by the stern outboard vents.

JOB DONE.

Stuart

• Like 11

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

did you replace the Oerlikon barrel (This is the CC offering - right?)

Maybe I could have described it better Rob. Photos I have used showed that the kit offering basically correct, just needed a little refining, so I used the pedestal, crank and swivel head  from the kit and used the mount, gun, ammo drum and PE from the CC offering. HTH

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Great job you've done there Stuart

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Excellent work, Stuart.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Stuart