Eurofighter Typhoon - KUTA build No.2 #FINISHED#

nimrod54

This Eurofighter has sat around taped together for some time and is my second choice for this years KUTA. I started it during a lull between builds, but other things got in the way and little progress was made. I assembled the wings to the fuselage halves and did some minor work around the intake, but that was it. The plan back then was to finish it as ZK353/BQ as flown by Flt. Lt. Jonny Dowen of 29(F) Squadron RAF based at RAF Coningsby in 2015

So here is how things stand at present, along with the intended scheme.

45304478784_cb348e97c9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45304479354_c127d5e240_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And this shows the parts un-taped and the small amount of work done previously.

44212949990_b641cd6093_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I have pushed this along since the last update and have all of the main parts glued together. I am pleased with the way this kit has gone together, OK, there are a couple of small gaps around the nose, but nothing which can't be taken care of when I start cleaning up the joins.

46086399241_bb1fb56d04_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46086399581_011c30d6f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

Yesterday, (that could be a good song title :winkgrin:) I made a start on tidying up the joins and filling gaps. After filling it with some Liquid Gravity, I glued the nose is on and finished painting the cockpit sills ready for fitting the canopy.

45275897035_fe6ebba3db_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32316407278_027a4ffed5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

There's a little bit more filling and sanding work to do on the underside of the wing though before I can say that is finally finished.

32316406998_d3d7ffdf8b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

I have added the main colour to this over the past couple of days, just need to add the Flint Grey to the radome, leading edges, fin top etc, and the Xtracrylix Ruby Red to the fin. I hope to have it finished before the deadline.

32966993488_4ecd60211d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46117399764_30d95af425_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

This is looking great so far John and should be stunning with those decals.  It's really interesting to see the quality of 1/144 items nowadays.

Thanks Cliff. This Revell kit is a little gem which goes together really well, and there are some other nice schemes for Typhoons on the decal sheet along with a few for the Tornado. So plenty of scope for future builds.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot H. I painted some of the darker grey areas last night and the first coat of red went on fin this morning. It's a lot patchier than it looks in this photo, so when I have finished this mini update, tis off to add another coat, and possibly a third tomorrow.

As for the grey I decided that Flint Grey looked too light and in the end I chose to use Medium Sea Grey, which seemed a better match in this scale.

46137889394_a204c8db65_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 1

I have added the main decals to the port side of the fuselage. Unfortunately the Xtradecal sheet appears to be missing the correct size off centenary date decals for this scheme,, they should sit between the 'BQ' code and the white aircraft silhouettes on the fin. The instructions show that decal 85 should be used, but those are too long and seem to be for one of the Tornado schemes on the sheet.

Anyway, I will get on with the other side, then crack on with the stencils, and there are plenty of those. :shocked: 

33055243188_51e7bd3a4c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

With the main decals finished, I have made a start on the stencils. I have the wheels, canopy and under belly tank to paint and then I can add all of those details, but I am still hopeful of completing it for tomorrow.

46044291585_62991a24b0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

46044285555_f92d6eb2d7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Another little gem John :).

Nice shadows too!

Thanks  a lot Cliff, I can't say that the shadows were intentional.  We started off with a bright day up here in the North-West, but by late afternoon the rain had moved in. There was just about enough natural daylight coming through the conservatory for me to grab a few photos without any harsh shadows.

19 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks  a lot Cliff, I can't say that the shadows were intentional.  We started off with a bright day up here in the North-West, but by late afternoon the rain had moved in. There was just about enough natural daylight coming through the conservatory for me to grab a few photos without any harsh shadows.

I really thought they were some fancy Photoshop effect!  I'm doubly impressed now :winkgrin:

• Like 1