Airfix Austin A35 Van Walace & Gromit 'Camelbert Trophy'

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Liking this a lot and wondering how easy it would be to do a standard van from this kit. 

Not sure of the van's accuracy but it may prove the ideal starting point with a good deal of scratch building to be added,especially to the suspension. There are a couple currently on eBay at reasonable prices.

15 hours ago, Marco F. said:

And again you're building a real special thing.... I love it.

But by the way... what happend to the the Volkswagen Van you started a while ago??

Cheers Marco F.

Thanks Marco, re the VW van I had issues with the paint so it has been put aside for a while. I may have new plans for the wheels on it though.

The front drivetrain and suspension are coming together from bits out of the spares box. A transfer box has been added too which the fore and aft driveshafts will connect to.

IMG-1657.jpg

And the front shocks too

IMG-1659.jpg

IMG-1658.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
extra photo added
  • Like 8

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:13, mbdesignart said:

But the tyres have no air in them, probably to save on shipping costs 😉

They would have been more expensive if they had the air in them, but that's due to inflation 😉

I'll get my coat, sorry

Looks like a fun build though, watching with interest :) 

Ian

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

They would have been more expensive if they had the air in them, but that's due to inflation 😉

There's not a response for 'groan'... :)

Alan.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

IMG-1659.jpg

How did you make the springs? I know that you could use ready made springs from various vendors, but I would like to have a go myself.

They look to be made from vinyl (or some other flexible plastic), I have tried to make springs before without a great deal of success.... :(

Cheers, Alan.

Alan, the springs are plastic coated wire, I think from EMA Model Supplies, wound around a tube. Probably not true to scale even in 1/12. I've used ordinary brass wire suitably painted for other projects with success, the beauty of metal is that the ends can be ground flat to sit on the spring mounts. Hope you have some success if you give it a go.

• Like 1

A little more progress to update the build. Suspension is almost complete just the front shocks to add. Tamiya Camel Yellow applied to the body, not easy to spray as this only just fit within my small spray booth.

IMG-1673.jpg  IMG-1674.jpg

• Like 6

I've applied some weathering to the chassis along with adding the exhaust and front shocks so the underside is done. I've also had a go at printing the decals using Mr Decal Paper [white] which at the 3rd attempt generated something that is acceptable for this 'bit of fun' build, there are more yet to be applied.

IMG-1679.jpg

IMG-1680.jpg

• Like 11

Progressing with the interior fit out, the dash is in along with some reading matter for Wallace. Gromit is studying a map of the Sahara as he's sure they took a wrong turn in Timbuktu. The seats are one of Wallace's specials the Stan'R' Eject-O-Matic, more on this will come to light when I fit the passenger seat, but you will note the ejection seat grab handle to the bases which were 'borrowed' from the local barber's shop. A lever for the transfer box is just visible forward of the gear stick. And I nearly forgot the wheels are on too, resplendent with the tyre labels. More soon, thanks for following.😁

IMG-1688.jpg

IMG-1689.jpg

• Like 11

On 1/5/2019 at 5:35 AM, mbdesignart said:

Some provisions for the expedition added to the roof rack. The drum of pickle is under construction using an offset of waste pipe and plastic rod.

IMG-1671.jpg

And the cheese? Is there an ice box in the cabin? :please:

9 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

You don't put cheese in the icebox! It's supposed to slowly sweat at room temperature (or desert temperature): I'd have a plate on the dashboard. :)

The Camelbert Trophy is also a gastro-tour hence Wallace & Gromit will be sampling local cheeses along the way [whey!]. They even grabbed a Stinking Bishop as they passed through Gloucestershire 😱

IMG-1693.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
photo added
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6