1/48th Trumpeter Fairey Albacore!

tonyot

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony, 

Hope you are well. Any progress on this one. Have you conquered the rigging yet?

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,........ yeah I`m not too bad mate thanks,...... but not doing much modelling due to being quite sore. 

Unfortunately I`ve not done the rigging yet,........ I`ve hit a bit of a mental block with this model! 

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey Tony, I hope you recover soon and get through the mental block and are able to get back to your cracking models. 

I will finish the house this year and intend to do some serious FAA modelling myself, if working on the house doesn't finish me off first !!!

Take care and get better soon

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Oh Dear ! I wish you a quick recovery !

Take care and get back at your will, I can't wait to see your kit in RFI !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently bought this kit myself, for quite a cheap price thankfully, so this thread has made fantastic reading!

I too am curious if any progress has come with the rigging. The model looks superb in the most recent progress shot.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 00:13, tonyot said:

There are also some nice East Indies Fleet Albacore`s with blue/white markings that are also tempting,..... but again these are later mod variants; There are some very good photos in books.

So that is it,....... I`m currently trawling books for some inspiration!

Cheers

Tony

Tony - I'd love to ask about these East Indies Albacores. I'm a big fan of FAA subjects which use the Pacific blue and white roundels but I have not been able to find any images of Albacores sporting these roundels, so if you do have any I'd really appreciate a look. Thank you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Hope you're on the mend soon Tony

Great work bending that Trumpeter Albacore into shape too

Bruce

Cheers Bruce,....... I just have a mental block towards rigging at the moment,....... cannot bring myself to start it on this or the Walrus!!!

• 1 year later...

Hiya Folks,....... well after a very long break on this one,....... due to a mental block towards rigging,.....I`ve bitten the bullet, blown off the dust and had a go at it using Uschi elastic thread (cheers Neil!). There are lots of things wrong with this kit and that has not helped either,.....but I now intend to finish it;

DSCF7986-NEW.jpg

DSCF7984-NEW.jpg

And when it came to checking the model against the old Special Hobby kit, I realised that the rigging on this older model has degraded and snapped,.....so time to re rig that one too!

DSCF7985.jpg

The Special Hobby kit with the old rigging removed;

DSCF7988-NEW.jpg

DSCF7991.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see this on the go again, and a real treat to see the Special Hobby kit make an appearance too Tony. 

Have you got the rigging bug now?  LOL

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... No I wouldn`t call it a bug,..... I still hate it! Rigging that one wing on the Albacore wasn`t much fun,...... so not looking forward to finishing the other wing off,...... neve mind the Special Hobby kit,.... I was gutted when I saw the rigging had gone on it as I remember it was quite a task at the time.

• Like 1

I must say that I am not a fan of Rigging, why did I buy a WNW DH2???  Got to get back on my Tiggie soon which is the rigging etc next, Spitfire and Boston are due oil washes and then final finishing so won't be long before I have to learn to rig again!!!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I must say that I am not a fan of Rigging, why did I buy a WNW DH2???  Got to get back on my Tiggie soon which is the rigging etc next, Spitfire and Boston are due oil washes and then final finishing so won't be long before I have to learn to rig again!!!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Good luck Chris and cheers mate.  You really don`t want to know how many models I have on the go at the moment!! 

• Like 1

Cheers Tony, I can imagine how many you have on the go, I have about 14 started .  I have just got the shelving in the Mancave done and brought my models in out of storage and well, I am going to need a bigger Mancave!!!

Great work as always fella, I do love your builds

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cheers Tony, I can imagine how many you have on the go, I have about 14 started .  I have just got the shelving in the Mancave done and brought my models in out of storage and well, I am going to need a bigger Mancave!!!

Great work as always fella, I do love your builds

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... nice of you to say so,......we appear to have similar tastes when it comes to modelling subjects and yours are no slouches. Good luck with the man cave mate. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent job on the Rigging . I know well how much of a pain that can be. Especially on an Albacore. Even with Trumpeters errors,You've done a magnificent job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Excellent job on the Rigging . I know well how much of a pain that can be. Especially on an Albacore. Even with Trumpeters errors,You've done a magnificent job.

Thanks,...... yeah it isn`t the best kit accuracy wise,... such a missed opportunity and it isn`t as if the kit is cheap either!

Speaking of which,...... today I had a go at the propeller by sawing each blade off and re attaching it the correct way around,.....plus I added some detail to the hub using plastic strip! Since photographing it I have tidied it up and re painted it.

DSCF8005.jpg

Just a small job, but it has been bugging me that the prop are set at the opposite pitch!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks,...... yeah it isn`t the best kit accuracy wise,... such a missed opportunity and it isn`t as if the kit is cheap either!

Speaking of which,...... today I had a go at the propeller by sawing each blade off and re attaching it the correct way around,.....plus I added some detail to the hub using plastic strip! Since photographing it I have tidied it up and re painted it.

DSCF8005.jpg

Just a small job, but it has been bugging me that the prop are set at the opposite pitch!

Cheers

Tony

It's worth it to change that. I did the same on mine.

• Like 1

If I did the rigging on my one again I'd use a thicker grade of rigging like Prym rather than the quite puny grade of eazi-line that I did have: 

• Like 2