County Class Destroyers, options in 1/600

Courageous

Hi guys, I have recently found a hole in my destroyer 'want' list, a County Class. Hopefully, i'll be getting it for Christmas, it''s a Batch 1 but i also want to buikd a Batch II. I've looked at my references (that is very small) and it looks like the main difference is ridding a turret to make way for Exocet. Can you guys elaborate on the differences between the batches?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

The quick rule-of-thumb identification feature difference is that the Batch 2s always had a double bedstead Type 965 radar atop the mainmast vice a single on the Batch 1s.  The Exocet fit on batch 2s is an identification feature only because the Batch 1s were all discarded before receiving it.  But I expect there's a lot more to it than that.

• Like 2

I am currently looking at British Destroyers and Frigates by Norman Fried man at most,  trying to look at plan views of Batch I & II destroyers. I don't think the views are accurate but it''s all i've got. It looks like Batch II''s may also have Knebworth-Corvus rocket launches? A number of 20mm Oerlikons? Seacats?  God knows what else. 

Stuart

Stuart, I think your best bet would be to choose a specific ship and time period as they all could be slightly different. For example Fife which I was on had 20mm GAMBO 's just aft of the Seacat launcher but I can't remember if that was just for the Falklands deployment.

Edited by Roger Newsome

17 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hi guys, I have recently found a hole in my destroyer 'want' list, a County Class.

Nice idea Stuart, but do you mean 1/700 and if so which model? Atlantic do a very impressive County I believe, but in 1/350.

BTW, that book by Norman Friedman is rather splendid, although I agree some of the drawings aren't detailed enough for scale modelling, but it seems to be an incredible reference on the development history and technical specs of many types. I can't put it down!

Terry

17 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

choose a specific ship and time period

I think you may be right. I must admit, I wouldn't have thought that their would be such differences between ships of the same 'small' batch.

4 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

Two links l have used. 

Cheers for the links Chris, lots of pic's to sort through...very useful.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

but do you mean 1/700 and if so which model?

I'm afraid I do, I just do not have the space for anything larger...except for 1/72 launches. The models in question are an MT Miniatures offering:

l.ashx?k=108139000

Batch I (HMS Kent)

l.ashx?k=1262032

Batch II (HMS Glamorgan)

I don't know what the quality is like but it's a start. As for the book, it's is as you say, full of technical stuff but lacking in drawings.

Stuart

I've got a couple of their earlier kits unbuilt as yet.

Multimedia, pressure cast resin, white metal, etch and decals

Main hull and superstructure is cast resin, no bubbles or warping.

A lot of the deck detail is included in the main castings, some of it simplified eg aztec stairs and solid boat davits.

Smaller parts such as masts, guns, boats etc are white metal, reasonably well cast but with part lines and some flash

Etch is just generic railings, flight deck safety nets and main rotor for helicopters

Decals pennant no's and funnel badge if appropriate.

If you look at it as a reasonably well detailed wargaming model, you won't be disappointed.

Detail is better than an 80's plastic kit, but not up to that of the recent kits by Flyhawk etc. Some detail is simplified, some is overscale, but they'd be a good introduction to multimedia, the finished model should look the part and be quite "robust".

If you're looking for finescale, then if it's the only game in town it would be a good starting point to add aftermarket replacements such as radars, guns, ladders etc.

If there's other kits of your subject out there, there may be a better bet for a finescale model, it depends on what level of detail you want, how complex a build you can manage, and how deep your pockets are. Horses for courses as they say.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the review Dave, much appreciated.

From what I can see from the images of the Counties, their is room for improvement, starting with things like radars, ladders, etc. As far as I can tell, Skytrex is the only other offering, if you can find them and I'm not sure if it'll be any better.

Stuart

• Like 1

Haven't seen the Skytrex offering, but as you say I doubt it would be any better.

A good start for etch improvements i think would be White Ensign's Type 42 set, should cover pretty much all the radars, aerials, ladders, doors, railings etc you need.

Your main problem though will be the seaslug on the stern, not sure where to go for any improvement on that.

• Like 1

Hi Stuart,

I was aware of the MT Miniatures County, but as an aspiring fine scale modeller (that's what I like to consider myself!) I would not have considered that one. I would agree with @Dave Swindell's summary of MT Miniatures offerings. Some while ago I acquired an Ikara Leander from them in 1/700. It is exactly as Dave describes. In the form it comes, it appears accurate in outline and general detail and I have considered using it to "develop" a much finer scale rendition, which would have to include after market etch, and IMHO, much scratch building of the more detailed components. A good basis to build a finer scale replica certainly, but nothing like mainstream injection moulded or the more high end resin offerings.

Just an opinion. In the end you pays your money, and you takes your choice I think.

Terry

• Like 1

As you say, it''s pays your money....

I wish I had the space to do 1/350 but I don't and seeing that this, albeit it will need a lot of work, it's really the only kid on the block for me. As Dave says, the biggest headache will be those Seaslug launches and those 'bedsteads' look a nightmare too. I may very well shoot myself in the foot with choosing 1/700 but I was advised that it had the largest range, time will tell.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

@Courageous Stuart, if you do find loads of space, I can start you off with a really good looking Seaslug launcher :wicked:

Now that's what I call a good Seaslug launcher!

A further thought Stuart would be to go with the Airfix 1/600 county and some aftermarket etch? Slightly bigger than 1/600 and therefore possibly easier to improve on.

Just a thought.

Terry

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Stuart, if you do find loads of space, I can start you off with a really good looking Seaslug launcher :wicked:

I see what you're trying to do there Dave. Thanks for the link. I saw this image earlier, wondering if I could scratch it in 1/700 :rofl2: but you never know...

Stuart

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Airfix 1/600 county and some aftermarket etch?

I am giving it some thought but i'm a bit anal in keeping things in the same scale and I already have a small collection of 1/700 destroyers waiting to be laid.

Stuart

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

I am giving it some thought but i'm a bit anal in keeping things in the same scale and I already have a small collection of 1/700 destroyers waiting to be laid.

Stuart

I know what you mean. I have a very small stash of 1/700 ships (7) and a now growing stash of 1/350 ships (3) and would probably not go for 1/600 for similar reasons. For me, if I ever did a County (which is highly likely) I'd do the 1/350, but I do have reasonable space, and I have successfully negotiated getting a display cabinet which can go DOWNSTAIRS! 🤩

Terry

• Like 2

My first chance to add to this ,There this link for an excellent build of a Airfix 1/600 Devonshire to a batch 2 version,only found it after l had finished my HMS Kent.Also link for the 3D parts and photo etching 1/600 and my own build .

This is full of superb information specially ,the location of B turret and spacing with the bridge .

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_alphacontent&section=11&category=210&Itemid=59

Photo etching 

http://atlanticmodels.net/photo-etched details/1-600 scale.html

3D part.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z3GGC6Y4M/county-class-destroyer-batch-1-upgrade-set-1-600?optionId=55106532

My build of H.M.S. Kent.

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stuart

Hi Stuart 

I was the same ,try to keep to 1/700,but some ships will seem to be never built in 1/700 and some only come in 1/350, scratch  building a whole ship is beyond me so I gave in.Space being the most important factor,l still build most in 1/700.also l display my collection with a friends collection at models shows ,we do all the Scottish shows,Newcastle and next year Telford for the first time for our display .

07b1930d-36a6-4b76-a7fa-8b37e2b2c5cb-ori

• Like 5

I think you guys have turned me towards the 1/600 offering, I think that Seaslug launcher would be a problem.

The links have been duly saved for future reference, better get myself a couple of Airfix offerings and take a look at Chris's build.

A nice display you have there Chris.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1