1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt kits??

Wafu

Hi all,

I have a hankering to build one of the above in 1/48, can you guys advise me as to the most accurate and pleasurable kit to build.

I’d like to do a Bubbletop in natural metal with a good, high viz marking.

I’m at your mercy so be gentle as I don’t usually do WWII subjects, not with wings anyway😂

Thanks in advance, the Woo.

Agreed. The Tamiya P-47M version is the way to go as you can build several variants, P-47D-25 to the P-47D-40, as well as the early P-47M though you may have to change the floor to do the -25. The Hasegawa P-47D Bubbletop has the dorsal fin as a "not used" part but if you want to do the later variants they are included

• Like 1

Like the guy say the Tamiya kit is the most accurate and pleasurable build in both 1/48th scale and 172nd. If you want to build a D-25 ( and maybe a D-26, it's unclear exactly when the smooth cockpit floor came in )  buy the P-47D kit as they are a little cheaper, anything after that get the P-47M kit, which has all the bits of the D kit ( as well as both styles of floor ) but with an extra sprues in to allow you to also model any later D's and the M. The hardest part will be choosing your markings ;)

Edited by Tbolt

What all of the others have said, and I echo the  suggestion to get the M boxing, as you then can build everything from the D-25 to the M. Too bad that Tamiya stopped short of doing an N, and at least you 1/48 modelers got the M- they didn't do the M or D-30  in 1/72, although the kit is clearly engineered for later versions. So many pretty schemes- it's going to take longer to decide which one to do than it will take to build. One of the best detailed and perfectly fitting 1/48 prop kits ever! I'm not into 1/48, but even I  bought the 1/48 razorback and bubbletop kit just because they are so darned nice....and they're Jugs, fer cryin' out loud!

Mike

• Like 2

I vote for Tamiya.

and just to let you know I have built 1/48th scale P-47s from Monogram ,Tamiya, Hasegawa,Academy and Promodeler.

(I had to buy the Tamiya P-47M to do a P-47D-40 in order to have the fin strakes ,compessability flaps and different gun-sight and cockpit floor)

so as long as you don't want a D-30 or later block the standard Tamiya "bubbletop" kit will be just fine.

4 hours ago, PFlint said:

I vote for Tamiya.

and just to let you know I have built 1/48th scale P-47s from Monogram ,Tamiya, Hasegawa,Academy and Promodeler.

(I had to buy the Tamiya P-47M to do a P-47D-40 in order to have the fin strakes ,compessability flaps and different gun-sight and cockpit floor)

so as long as you don't want a D-30 or later block the standard Tamiya "bubbletop" kit will be just fine.

You'll need the M kit for the smooth cockpit floor for a least a D-27 and D-28 and many aircraft before the D-30 had the dorsal fillet retro fitted.

2 hours ago, Wafu said:

Thanks for all your help and advice. Tamiya gets the vote then and maybe I’ll sort out the decals before the kit.

Off to eBay I go for both then😂

Thanks again.

Best of luck, I read this and I just want to get my jugs out........of the stash, but patience, finish off the Victors,and the FW 190,s,and Spitfires and everything else.

Bob

• Haha 2