This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
spruecutter96

Hobbyboss 1/16th scale Tiger 1

Hello. 

I recently started to build the above kit and found it to be well thought-out and engineered, until I started to use the main wheel suspension arms - what a frustrating and ultra-fiddly operation that turned out to be!

If you're not familiar with the suspension set-up of this kit, the main-wheel suspension arms fit through holes moulded in to the lower hull of the tank. Once they're in place, you fit a metal spring-clip around where they protrude into the lower hull....and then the fun REALLY begins. There is virtually nothing to to hold the metal clips in place and they're under some tension once installed. A small metal bolt is then placed through a channel in the middle of the suspension arm and a small plastic part on the inside accepts a nut to bring everything together.  The metal clips are there to make the suspension move in a similar way to the real machine's set-up. 

Sounds really easy to construct, doesn't it? Please read on, my friends.....

After then spent 30 minutes continually struggling to get all these parts together and dropping all the parts on the carpet untold times, I finally managed to get the bolt into place on suspension-arm No.1 (much swearing and cursing of Hobbyboss' designers ensued). After 20 minutes similar effort on the second suspension arm, I finally gave up installing the things as intended and decided to simply super-glue the rest of the arms on (a total of 16 units). Was this really the best way to design this part of the kit? I can only assume that the kit designers never have to build the items they work on. 

Does anyone have a better/less sweary way to tackle this part of the kit...?

Don't let me put you off buying one.... For the money (£55 from Models For Sale at Telford the other day, but a bit more on E-Bay), these huge Tigers are Bargain-Of-The-Year territory. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Adding some info.