Airfix Mosquito, 1/24 Decals

Simon Dunsmore

Hi Chaps. 

Firstly, just wanted to say hi, I'm new to the forum and just back in the modelling game after a rather lengthy break of  35 years, one build in and loving it. 

So here is my question, I pushed the boat out and purchased the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito in the black friday sales. Really looking forward to getting started. Doing a little research on schemes and I have fixed upon The dark grey scheme with yellow spinners from the original 1/24 release (sorry I can't find a reference to which squadron etc) Does anyone know where I can purchase decals for this? 

Looking forward to your responses. 

Thanks again 

Simon

Edited by Simon Dunsmore
Insert image

Hi Simon

welcome to the forums,  there is a section to say hi if you want  as well.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/43-new-members/

A few points,  and I apologise if this sounds like a lecture,  but getting the best out of the forum will be made easier by asking the right things in the right places.

This would get better results in the WWII section,

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/23-wwii/

if you PM a moderator and ask politely to move this, they should.

When you reach 100 posts, you can ask in our wanted section, since the Coast Command markings you are asking about are one of several options, so they are in many spare decal boxes...  see my comments below about work in progress

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100335-airfix-a25001-de-havilland-mosquito-nfii-fbvi

11.eir-ac-kits-airfix-dh.mosquito.fb_.vi

143 Sqn. HR405 / NE-A

you may find this of interest

5521706915_b89bb960bf_b.jpg&key=9d6b950b

4 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

and just back in the modelling game after a rather lengthy break of  35 years, one build in and loving it. 

So here is my question, I pushed the boat out and purchased the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito in the black friday sales. Really looking forward to getting started.

If you have not been building for a while, doing the Airfix Mosquito as a 2nd build maybe quite a leap in "revision" of your skills,  partly due to the sheer size of the model. 

If you have not, have a good search of some builds to see how other builders have coped, and problems they encountered.

Alternately, start a "work in progress" build here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

many folk here follow threads, and are full of advice, both hints on the kit and also different techniques, especially if you ask,   as well of support and encouragement,  before the humour, banter and bizarre digressions start....  and if you document your work there will be an interested audience,  and there are plenty of returnee modellers here too.

Disparaging or rude commentary will not happen, it's not tolerated,  so don't be worried about showing your work, whatever you post will be of interest.

And, if you want a carrot, a Work in progress build of a 1/24th Mosquito will take a while, you'll soon get  100 posts and can then ask in the "wanted" section, 

if you mention you are hunting for the 143 Sq decals in the build,  someone may offer them to you anyway. 

A final word of caution,  if you were a big fan of modelling many years ago,  this place can be a bit addictive,  this and couple of other model sites are the nearest i get to doing "social media",  and here  has been my little mental goldfish bowl for quite some time,  as In Real Life much of what I post here, and know about is considered deeply anorak and deadly dull and irrelevant....

But here its actually of interest and use...

Hope this helps - note this is usually HTH,  if you hover the cursor over these acronyms it should says what they mean

cheers

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum Simon, I am in a similar position to your self. A long break and slowly working my way back in. I have the same kit to build but plan a few 1/48th scale kits first before diving into the Mossie. The BOAC version does sound rather appealing 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks, 

Thanks for your responses and sorry about posting in the wrong location. I won't bother moving it as I seemed to have solved the problem. The good folks at Airfix are sending me the decals so all sorted. On reflection I have actually built two kits. I started with the new tool Revell 1/32 Spitfire and then was fortunate to pick up a 1/32 Tamiya Spit, that took me nearly six months to build but I'm pretty happy with the results. I would post a few pics, but can't figure out how to get them from my phone to the forum. ( bit of a technophobe). 

Thanks again for all the help. Once I've sorted out the technical side of things I think I'll take Troy' s advice and do a work in progress. 

Happy building 

Simon

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

I would post a few pics, but can't figure out how to get them from my phone to the forum. ( bit of a technophobe). 

they need to be hosted somewhere online, eg Flickr, 

see here

30 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Once I've sorted out the technical side of things I think I'll take Troy' s advice and do a work in progress. 

I think you will pleasantly surprised  if you do this,  very friendly lot here. 

One final point, seems that the RAF  use a lot of leathercloth that was racing green for seats, seen in Lancasters, and Mosquitos

there are a load of photos of a T.3 here from a museum in Norway, which looks unrestored too me, 

this shows the green at the bottom left, note it is also used round the 'boot' at the bottom on the control column too.(but grubbier)

8.jpg&key=fae2627e719b570676797289932ff2

but the pics are very good for getting an idea of what a used Mosquito cockpit looks like as well.

This is a good example of an unexpected aspect of forums,  when you get answers to questions you didn't even know you wanted to ask ;)

Look forward to the build.

Are you intending on using the figures that come with the Mosquito BTW

cheers

Troy