KP LVG C.VI

stevehed

Hi,

Going to make a start with this kit . The paint instructions are for green / mauve wings with similar colours for the fuselage with light blue undersides. This is based on the Munson profiles and my book is dated 1968. The other option is natural ply fuselage and green / mauve wings. On the Wingnuts web site ply fuselages are to the fore but the wings are invariably five colour lozenge. I know that Albatros DV's were manufactured in blocks of lozenge wings followed by a block of green/mauve wings etc but is there any evidence of similar practices at LVG. Lozenge can be a pain in the backside at times so an a viable alternative would be useful.  

Regards, Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevehed said:

Hi,

Going to make a start with this kit . The paint instructions are for green / mauve wings with similar colours for the fuselage with light blue undersides. This is based on the Munson profiles and my book is dated 1968. The other option is natural ply fuselage and green / mauve wings. On the Wingnuts web site ply fuselages are to the fore but the wings are invariably five colour lozenge. I know that Albatros DV's were manufactured in blocks of lozenge wings followed by a block of green/mauve wings etc but is there any evidence of similar practices at LVG. Lozenge can be a pain in the backside at times so an a viable alternative would be useful.  

Regards, Steve

No, only the prototype LVG C.VI 14440/17 had painted wings. All production LVG C.VI aircraft had 5 colour lozenge (usually early, low serial numbers) or 4 colour lozenge (usually late, high serial numbers). In post war service with foreign forces all bets are off. The "Black 7" arrow colour scheme appears to be fantasy with no photo to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Started this kit but the instructions state do not use CA glue. Have tested on the sprue without noticable effect, that is it did not melt, so assuming CA will not stick parts together. Have used Contacta polystyrene so far and intend to use the liquid form when joining the fuselage halves. Does anyone know what is the problem with CA as I like to use it to secure invisible thread rigging wires.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve

CA doesn't bond parts by melting them together like the liquid plastic glues. It just bonds really well to most plastic surfaces and holds them together. This can lead to a more brittle bond that is prone to crack if it receives a hard knock. I am not aware of any particular polystyrenes not being compatible with CA - many of us use it to fill seams (as it bonds to the plastic well and doesn't shrink).

I cannot see that you'd have any issues using CA to bond rigging to the aircraft.. Try it out on a piece of sprue..

Matt

You won't have any problems using CA for the rigging, I use it exclusively. The recommendation to not use it would be as stated above, the joints would be very brittle as the plastic is not melted together as it would be using normal plastic glue.

Ian