A Junglie and a Grey Whale

So having completed a couple of group builds, I thought that I would try a WIP.....So for my first try at a WIP I have decide to have ago at a couple of Sea Kings.  I have two of the new tool Airfix Sea Kings in the stash.

45987797531_67990bf1a0_b.jpg

I will build the HAR.3 as a 78 Squadron from the mid to late eighties.  I have a few decal sheets to help out here.

45986917511_53687d4131_b.jpg

I plan to add the lifting frame that appears on a number of the 78 Sqn machines. I have the Airwaves HC.4 conversion set - planned for a another build using the old Airfix Sea King - there is a challenge, so I will be using the lifting frame from that set as a template.

44171342750_25616f9045_b.jpg

For the HC4, I will be using the kit decals, but during the Eduard E-day sale, I pick up the big ed set cheaply, so I have some etch to add.

45986872411_fd58e36d8c_b.jpg

The second set of masks is for the HAR3 and were not part of age big ed set.  Also plan to use the lift strops (if the is the correct term) from an Airwaves etch set:

44171253680_63663919fa_b.jpg

Anyway last night made a start - a couple of the etch parts added to the Junglie.

31048954997_5eaa5225c9_b.jpg

• Like 12

If your opening post is anything to go by this will be an interesting and comprehensive thread. You've certainly amassed quite a collection of goodies to enhance the kits.

• Like 1

The more rotary wings the better. This looks interesting.

On one of your decal sheet instructions above I see a Puma marked FC.

I can't make out the serial number, is it XW202? 

I worked on that one on 240 OCU at Odiham up to 1983.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

If your opening post is anything to go by this will be an interesting and comprehensive thread. You've certainly amassed quite a collection of goodies to enhance the kits.

I hope I can meet your exceptions Col.  The one area of the Airfix Sea King that is poor is the engine air intake filter, so I am hoping I can make a good job of using the etch to improve the filter.

39 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The more rotary wings the better. This looks interesting.

On one of your decal sheet instructions above I see a Puma marked FC.

I can't make out the serial number, is it XW202? 

I worked on that one on 240 OCU at Odiham up to 1983.

Quite agree can never have too many rotors.  Yes the Puma is XW202, from when it was 1563 Flt in Belize.  Hoping that one day Airfix will issue a new tool Puma (along with a Wessex HC2).  

Back when I was teenage in the 80's I did an Airfix Sea King as a 78 Sqn using the Modeldecal sets, so this is a bit of a trip down memory lane - it must of been the first time I used an aftermarket decal sheet.

• Like 3

Hello 1903 !

What a great idea ! 2 Seakings in one build with some improvement !!

I'll follow if you Don't mind.

And have a 1/48 one if I find it at a interesting price !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

While trying to finish off the beaufighter, have made some progress tonight on adding the etch to HC4 and have started the HAR3, which will not have any etch added to the cabin.

45982601152_d6299d482f_b.jpg

45982601302_8d2e9ba708_b.jpg

The airfix insturctions call for the cockpit to be grey,  where as this is true for the cabin, but I think the cockpit floor should be black?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Making very slow progress.  With christmas over with, have been working on the cabin....

Removing the ejection pin marks on the inside of the fuselage.

IMG_4976

Progress on the HAR3 cabin and cockpit.

IMG_4978

the cabin seats are now ready to go in, so these should goes in this evening.

The HC4 cabin is painted, but need to add all the seat belts from the etch set before I add the seats.

IMG_4977

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally looks like I am making some progress.

Whale interior completed...

IMG_4986

IMG_4987

And on Junglie - cabin seating finished.

IMG_4988

hope to finish the cockpit seating tonight, almost there, some touch up of the paint require....

IMG_0174

• Like 8