+++ Small Wars GB - Take 2, now at 33 names

Col.

A few suggestions:

IPMS Gothenburg's annual competition ART in Miniature (7/8-9-19)  theme for this year is Limited/Small wars!
Time parameters: 1915-1990

The 1990 cut-off date decision was taken in order to avoid hurting sensibilities - the Yugoslavian wars alone are a very sensitive subject (lots of refugees) and we want to avoid coming across as mindless idiots trivializing human suffering as a hobby :)

Of course on the open competition tables you are free to present models of whatever era or war you please. 😇

A short list of suggestions- I'm mainly into aviation but most of the following have a surface component

LATIN AMERICA
Chaco War 1930-35, Bolivia, Paraguay
The Amazonas' Wars:
    Colombia-Peru Putumayo War 1 September 1932 – 24 May 1933
    Peru-Ecuador Paquisha War 1981
    Peru-Ecuador Cenepa War 26 January – 28 February 1995
Ecuador-Peru 5–31 July 1941
Football War Honduras- El Salvador 1969
The Nicaraguan - Contras War 1979-1990
Malvinas/Falklandskriget 1982

EUROPE
Russian Civil War 1917-22 featuring Russians of several colours, US, Great Britain, Japan, the Baltic states, Finland, Austro-Hungarian POWs
Polish invasion of Russia, Bielorussia, Lithuania 1920
Ukrainian Independence war 1920
Greek-Turkish war 1919-22
Spanish Civil War 1936-39
Greek Civil War 1946-49
Turkish invasion of Cyprus 1974

MIDDLE EAST
Kurdish revolts in Irak 1921-30
Israeli Independence War 1948-49 featuring Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestina, RAF
Suez Crisis / Sinai War 1956
Six Day War 1967
Yom Kippur 1973
Libya-Egypt War 1978
Iran-Irak 1980-88
Lebanese Wars 1975–1990

AFRICA
Abyssinian War 1937-38
Algerian Independence War 1954-62
Congo Wars 1960-65
Angolan  Independence War  1961-1975
Rhodesian Bush War / Zimbabwean Independence War 1964-1979
Namibian Independence War 1966-1990
Angolan Civil War 1975-2002
South Africa-Angolan “Border Wars” 1975-1990
Uganda-Tanzanian war  October 1978 - May 1979
Libya-Chad Wars 1978, 1979, 1980-81, 1983-87 featuring France, Mali, Chad, Libya

ASIA
Soviet-Japan Khalkin Gol 1937
Indo-Pakistani war 1947
Indo-Pakistani war 1965
Indo-Pakistani war 1971 (East Pakistan/Bangladesh independence war)
Indonesian  Independence War  1948 Indonesia, Holland

Indochina del 1, Frankrike 1948-56
Malaysian Emergency  1948-60 Operation Firedog
Indonesian–Malaysian (Singapore & Commonwealth) confrontation  1963-66
Soviet invasion of  Afghanistan 1979-89

Conflicts OUTSIDE the Limited/Small Wars scope:
WW I
WW II
Korean War
USA in Vietnam 1958-1975
Balkan wars

This ought to whip up some interest! All suggestions welcome :)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I've voted for this GB, however can I just clarify if common RAF subjects are permitted here, as long as they were participants in any of these conflicts? My initial impression was that the main objective was to model subjects of lesser known air forces, so for example - if we take the Indonesionan Confrontation, an Indonesian P-51 is permitted, however a RAF Hunter would not? Or am I  misreading something here? 

Cheers and hope it gets up... Dave 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've voted for this GB, however can I just clarify if common RAF subjects are permitted here, as long as they were participants in any of these conflicts? My initial impression was that the main objective was to model subjects of lesser known air forces, so for example - if we take the Indonesionan Confrontation, an Indonesian P-51 is permitted, however a RAF Hunter would not? Or am I  misreading something here? 

Cheers and hope it gets up... Dave 

Equipment from any nation, regardless of size or status, or that used by any none-nation state operator is eligable for this one so long as it took part in a conflict or armed action outwith the First and Second World War and the Korean and Vietnam wars is good for this one. Therefore both your Indonesian P-51 and RAF Hunter are good for this one; in fact if you want to do both as a 'Dogfight Double' that would be rather cool :D 

What I really want to see is the story of a smaller conflicts told via our models regardless of how mainstream or obscure the subjects are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to take an opportunity to remind everyone this GB can provide us with a chance to make models that would not otherwise feature in the mainstream GBs. Anywhere in our world there has been conflict is eligible. Any period of conflict outwith the World Wars, Korean War, and Vietnam War; although equipment used to conduct the various internecine border violations that preceded and succeeded any of these conflicts, is eligible. Land, sea, air, military, paramilitary, civilian, single model, 'dogfight double', diorama, all good. In fact pretty much anything goes. Apart from politics of course ;) 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pauly Boy said:

Just noticed on Amazon that the "@War" series has several new books on "small wars" coming out in the new year. All are very interesting. South American, African and Asian. Something to look at to entice a future build.

Paul

Helion's @War series has such a great array of titles on the subject and they all contain an incisive telling of events backed up with great illustrations on the aircraft involved. Well worth the money if you want a single book on the subject.

Thanks guys, I didn’t realise how extensive this “@at war”series back catalogue was until I clicked on that link. I have certainly voted for this one to get up, however picking a suitable choice(ies) has now made things a little harder! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks guys, I didn’t realise how extensive this “@at war”series back catalogue was until I clicked on that link. I have certainly voted for this one to get up, however picking a suitable choice(ies) has now made things a little harder! 

Cheers.. Dave 

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Lots of very interesting conflicts and subjects to choose from, actually very difficult to choose what to build!

We really do have almost all of history to choose from in this one :lol:  Perhaps the only limiting factors are kit availability and imagination ;) 

Yes, Col’s right. Just think of all those exotic schemes you’ve always wanted to build but so far haven’t. There’s so many fantastic options on offer and it’s most certainly open to all modelling genres.
Think of the former Imperial powers and all those small skirmishes they were involved in to protect their acquired assets. A nice change from the rudimentary subjects we see on here all too very often. 

Cheers and please vote.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Col. I'm very unhappy this one didn't make it :weep:

As am I my friend. As am I :( 

I'd hoped it'd be the correct format for an interesting and varied GB but we're bound by popular opinion and clearly not everyone was convinced.

Best to look on the bright side chaps. There’s still plenty of scope to tackle something exotic, we just need to disguise them within the nominated GB’s that did get up. Don’t forget the STGB’s (P-51’s and Corsairs) and there’s always the Classic Heller GB with all those lovely old kits from their back catalogue... how does a Heller Saab 29 in UN ‘Congo’ colours sound? This can be built as part of the Scandi or Heller GB’s so that’s just one example. 

Cheers and chin up!! Dave 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

how does a Heller Saab 29 in UN ‘Congo’ colours sound?

Sounds great!

You're right of course, it looks like my Heller Fennec will move to the Classic Heller GB instead of being from the Algerian conflict.

• Like 1

Too right @Wez, I’ve been thinking about building a swag of Heller kits within the various 2020 GB’s and what doesn’t quite make it will have a second chance in the Classic Heller GB. Well that’s the plan anyway, let’s see what ‘life’ has to say about that! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Any suggestions as to where I should stick my Slovenian Turbolet? ;)

Cheers

Cliff

A few, although some will get me banned if not put on some sort of register, however Enzo The Great has the answer :D 

...so we can still play at Small Wars in a quiet corner of the forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3