Revell 2019 releases

VMA131Marine

I think I'm most excited about the re-release of the 1/32 Harrier GR.1. Maybe somebody will put out some detail sets for it. It needs a lot of help, but it's the only 1st Gen Harrier in 1/32.

Next most exciting is the single seat 1/32 Me 262A-1a and then the A320neo and A321neo. Finally, the 1/32 scale Extra 330s should be interesting.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Next most exciting is the single seat 1/32 Me 262A-1a and then the A320neo and A321neo. Finally, the 1/32 scale Extra 330s should be interesting.

Didn't know Revell was releasing the single seater Me 262 in 32nd.

1 minute ago, Shrek51 said:

Cybermodeller are listing a 1/48 Phantom FGR2 for Jan Release and saying New, wonder if it is new or a Hasegawa re pop? Either way very welcome.

I've seen this discussed elsewhere (ironically I think it was in the Airfix @Telford thread) apparently it is a re-release of the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit, as confirmed by someone on the Revell stand at Telford, the post didn't mention if it will have new decal options or be the same as previous release. 

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

I've seen this discussed elsewhere (ironically I think it was in the Airfix @Telford thread) apparently it is a re-release of the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit, as confirmed by someone on the Revell stand at Telford, the post didn't mention if it will have new decal options or be the same as previous release. 

This  

I presume. Several pages.

Paul.

I appreciate the effort you put in to list everything but wow, I'm not sure I've been so underwhelmed! Not a single thing of interest to me. Slim pickings for the 1/72 modeller. 

On the bright side, there's nothing to distract me from buying Arma Hurricanes!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting price differential on the An225 listings - the lower one seems more realistic!

Must be the first release of the 1/32 Harrier pre-GR1 since the early 80s

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the price differential for the An-225 but, the Hannants website (as of 5 minutes ago) is now showing prices as £80.99 (down from £89.99) for the November 2018 release and, £44.99 (down from £49.99) for the November 2019 release.. Quite a bit different from the prices shown in the earlier screen shots. I don't mind waiting a year for it!. Been trying to get hold of the Harrier GR1 for ages! Very welcome news on that one!

The Transall is a welcome reissue & I like the idea of the TIE fighter set. Price for that is a bit hefty though. The D day set, 1/76 vehicles (ex-Matchbox I think) & SS-100 Gigant /V-2 + transporter will certainly head for a stash near me!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

That is a pretty impressive release schedule by any standards.  Not much for me except the Shackleton MR.3.  Even before the Hannants pre-order discount that is a very good price. 

I am strongly put off by Revell's pricing policy, especially with licensed kits repacked from other manufacturers. Only for the sake of different boxing and decals the price goes up ridiculously - the latest case being 1/72nd scale OV-10 Bronco licensed from Academy. Revell's reboxing is without any exaggeration more than twice expensive for absolutely no added value. Since both kits are similarly available I have not a slightest doubt which one to buy. Given this situation we can only imagine how much are Revell's own molding prices inflated.

• Like 1

First, the difference in the An-225 prices is because the more expensive one is "Platinum Series" and includes, IIRC, a full lighting set.

Secondly, Revell's pricing policy has hits and misses. Their 1/32 stuff seems to me to be pretty aggressively priced, whether it's their own (£20 for a Spitfire or £55 for an F-18E) or someone else's (Italeri's Mirage IIIE for £50 instead of £90...). Their Eduard reboxes come in at overtrees prices, often...

Thirdly, whether or not it's good business or not, you can RELY on many Revell kits being available for around half RRP sooner or later from big outlets, so the average selling price of a run is kits is significantly less than RRP.

best,

M.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

First, the difference in the An-225 prices is because the more expensive one is "Platinum Series" and includes, IIRC, a full lighting set.

best,

M.

Interesting. I never knew that. Guess that will teach me to read the publicity better!:whistle::lol:. Think it's a rather strange decision myself because, I would have thought that if they wanted to maximise sales of what is sure to be a popular item, they would have released them the other way round? There is obviously a market for the "Platinum"series kit(s) but, just how much? Personally, I am not convinced that most modellers will want a kit with all the expensive, additional frippery included and, would prefer the bog standard edition. However, I am not a Revell marketing exec and, I guess they know what they are doing.

I am content to await the standard kit next year

Allan

41 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

However, I am not a Revell marketing exec and, I guess they know what they are doing.

As someone who has spent over 3 decades  working with "marketing execs", I can tell you Allan, that you are absolutely, positively and totally correct. "Marketing execs" know exactly what they're doing...😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I would have thought that if they wanted to maximise sales of what is sure to be a popular item, they would have released them the other way round?

22 minutes ago, azureglo said:

As someone who has spent over 3 decades  working with "marketing execs", I can tell you Allan, that you are absolutely, positively and totally correct. "Marketing execs" know exactly what they're doing...😂

As a marketing exec myself, I resemble that remark 😜

Seriously, what they are probably thinking is that they want to maximise revenue from this kit. If they release the expensive one first, the people who really want a lighting kit will buy it, and the people who really, REALLY want an An-225 will buy the more expensive version now to get it into their hot little hands faster, thus paying more, and making more profit for Revell, than they would have (and amortising the extra cost of the lighting kit more widely, thus contributing even more to Revell's profits). People like @Albeback52 who would only quite like an An-225, or really DON'T want a lighting kit, or recognise that it's only going to go and sit in the stash for  a while anyway will wait on the regular version. And people who are really cost-conscious (but have room for the beastie) will wait until SMW in a year or two's time when Wonderland will be selling them for half price, and some of those versions with lighting kits that have been sitting unbuilt for a year or two will find their way into the Kit Swap...

I think Revell (and Airfix, and, especially WNW) have figured out that there's a customer segment of modeller's who are pretty price-elastic (ie they'll pay for something that they really want without worrying much about how much they'll pay). It's not the pocket-money market (if that exists any more) and it's not the guy with strictly limited disposable income, but it's a big enough and profitable enough segment to be worth catering for with the likes of 1/24 Hellcat and Mosquitos, or 1/32 0/400s and Lancasters.

That's why I think HK Models are gonna have a problem with their  big Lanc. I'm not sure there are that many people who have:

a) the room to display a 1/32 Lancaster

b) the desire to own a big, beautiful, highly-detailed model of one

C) the skills to build one and do it justice, and

d) who are prepared to drop several hundred pounds on a single kit that will take them a year to build well

who are also likely to be worried about the difference in price between several-hundred-pounds and several-hundred-pounds-and-a-bit-more...

That's without taking into account the "feel-good factor" of WNW's attention to detail, instructions, packaging and presentation...

Sorry... rambled on a bit there 😜

best,

M.

• Like 6

Fair point well made - add into the mix the WNW would appear to be cheaper than the HK models one then its really only those guys who have either pre-ordered or who REALLY want one now rather than waiting 12 months for what, on the face of things, appears to be a better product at a cheaper price. But still well over £200 a pop - lumme. 

On 11/21/2018 at 12:32 PM, Albeback52 said:

The Transall is a welcome reissue

Allan

I think so too! 🙂 I'm also curious what the markings will be in the Belgian/Dutch F-104G reissue.

Edited by ivand

On 11/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Not much for me except the Shackleton MR.3.

A new Shackleton MR.3? - a Mark 3 Phase3 perhaps, with four turning and two burning?  Woohoo!!! :thumbsup:  But which squadron to do... 203 at RAF Luqa, Malta I fancy,  or maybe a South African bird or maybe I could do both... at £30 its a great (starting) price at the big H. 

With this and the re-release of the 1/48 Phantom FGR.2 :wub:  I can seriously see my funds being diverted to Revell away from buying big red boxes in 2019 (unless there are a few unannounced surprises waiting in the wings).

Rich

PS just hope its not a reissue of the old Frog Shack... fingers crossed

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Apparently so.  How many squadrons flew the Phase 3 though?  They didn't build that many did they?  Not that I mind. Rock on, I say.  Actually that it is going to be a phase 3 gives me even more of an excuse to but one.  Tee hee. 

16 hours ago, RichG said:

A new Shackleton MR.3? - a Mark 3 Phase3 perhaps, with four turning and two burning?  Woohoo!!! :thumbsup:  But which squadron to do... 203 at RAF Luqa, Malta I fancy,  or maybe a South African bird or maybe I could do both... at £30 its a great (starting) price at the big H. 

The SAAF never operated the Phase 3 modded aircraft, so the fatigue index on their examples was lower.

Trevor

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The SAAF never operated the Phase 3 modded aircraft, so the fatigue index on their examples was lower.

I was only speculating the new Revell MR.3 will be an MR.3/3 as I understood that was the basis for their source material. Don't think that's been confirmed. Hopefully they will include both engine parts from the AEW.2 kit together with the option to build an MR.3 with the Viper mod.

Rich 

PS I do take the point re appearance, but just to be very pedantic the SAAF Shackletons were upgraded to Phase 3 but for a number of reasons the additional Viper engines were never fitted (Phase 3 being an upgrade, the Viper fit was a separate programme, often carried out after Phase 3 was completed). 

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1