Trumpeter conversion F-105B Thunderchief 1/72 - 54-0107 - update 25/02/19 Decaling started

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Bill! It is pretty much as you describe. One concern is that it "strings" a bit. I've tried a test overnight on a spare part from the Thud kit. Let's see how it works ;). Martin

Mine strings too, which is nasty because if the string falls on the kit plastic, it melts into the surface and must be sanded out. 

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

...and this most probably means re-scribing, I hate scribing, must practice more.

Stuart

Absolutely, Stuart, and the panel lines on the nose end of a B-model aren't simple :(......

Martin

8 hours ago, billn53 said:

Mine strings too, which is nasty because if the string falls on the kit plastic, it melts into the surface and must be sanded out. 

Agreed, Bill. I'm researching alternatives. Have you ever tried Superglue and Baking Powder? If I use the gloop I will employ gravity when I apply it to hopefully keep the strings away from the plastic.... Maybe .......

Martin

4 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Martin—I am joining @billn53 pulling up a chair—this is going to be awesome! 😎

Mmmmm.... Erwin ....... Don't go counting any chickens just yet ......... ;). Thanks for the vote of confidence, though. Much appreciated. I at least will know ?I have you all out there willing me along :).

Martin

• Like 1

Martin, You have done nothing but blow my socks off--your attention to detail, skill & knowledge set a new bar to strive for--looking forward to this--looking at your blog, it makes me wonder if one of the after market crowd should lean forward to make a new F-105B nose section--if there monitoring, I bet your finished product will lead to an update--thats this amateurs plan anyway 😉 Best, Erwin 

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely, Stuart, and the panel lines on the nose end of a B-model aren't simple :(......

I tried rescribing a 1/72 Buccaneer but gave up as a bad job; leveled, filled and sanded...shouldn't see panel lines in 1/72 anyway (I'm off...)

Stuart

• Haha 1

On 1 December 2018 at 10:42 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Agreed, Bill. I'm researching alternatives. Have you ever tried Superglue and Baking Powder? If I use the gloop I will employ gravity when I apply it to hopefully keep the strings away from the plastic.... Maybe .......

Martin

@billn53 Hi Bill et al,. A quick report to say that I used some Gloop on a spare part from the kit and it settled very well and has now hardened.

My challenge is going to be getting it applied to the model without stringing snd then having patience to allow it to cure before re-scribing. When I get to it I'll post a couple of images. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

A good plan, Dennis. I often use such tape to protect areas that need protecting around areas of sanding, as you may have seen in my posts. I also tape around areas that I'm going to fill too, such a wing/fuselage joints. It works well. To be honest I hadn't considered it for this nose area but you are right, a perfect solution :). Thank you.

Martin

• Like 1

A little progress - applying the "Gloop". 

I first matched the 3-view drawings of the B versus the D and taped over any lines that are common (very few!). Then taped and blanked off (with polythene sheet) the remainder of the model to avoid contact with the "strings" from the Gloop. Then it was a matter of working line by line, hole by hole, etc and filling each. As you can see she looks a bit of a mess but I'm hoping that once hardened she will sand back to a good surface for re-scribing. 

IMG_0269

IMG_0270

Subsequent to these shots I've seen a few places that I missed!!!! I've addressed those :). Now it is a matter of waiting patiently - not my best characteristic! From my test hot this took around a week before it was ready. Meanwhile I will get on with the Voodoo project and a few other odds and ends on the Thud that are merely standard and not worth posting (wings, a bit of interior (intake) painting, etc).

Back to this next week.......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Hi again all!

Well, the Gloop appeared cured so I got out the sanding sticks and micro mesh :). She isn't too bad, s you can see:

IMG_0289

IMG_0290

IMG_0291

These shots are post attacking her with a "coarse" stick, to get the highlights down and things even. Again, I'm pleased with the results. Clearly there are areas that I've missed and therefore once I've got at her with a finer pad I'll spray a light primer coat to highlights the wrinkles. 

I left the nose for a while and got the ventral fin cut ad installed. This was drawn on, and cut out from, Plastikard. Quite simple and the same method I used for D-10 earlier:

IMG_0292

Many of the next items will be as per previous builds so give me time as I wont post as it would be repetitive....

Back soon.

Martin

• Like 4

Yes, Stuart, and I've been out with the hoover to rid myself of the dust!!!! Hmmmm........ Actually I wet n'dried her later on so not too bad ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Holy moly! I'm impressed by how well the "gloop method" is working out. I had my doubts but now I'm a believer. 

Yes, it worked out pretty well, Bill.......so far! ;) tomorrow I will get a prime coat on and tackle the other items. "See" you soon :).

Martin

5 hours ago, Wez said:

How have I missed this thread?

Pulling up a chair, I won't bother with the popcorn, can't bide the stuff!

Glad to have you aboard, Wez :)

Martin

Time ran away with me yesterday and so I only just got a light primer coat on, to highlight flaws etc.

IMG_0308

IMG_0307

As you can see, I've still missed a few places and so will get to them ASAP. Overall I'm very pleased. Aside from this it'll be sanding the spine, fin tip, etc today and then back at her tomorrow for more on the nose.

Martin

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Filling and sanding, don't you just love it! :S

Stuart

A seemingly endless journey of thrills! ;).... Hopefully I can get the final flaws on the nose tidy tomorrow and get another very thin prime coat on.....

Martin

Hi all!

A little progress. I've had a frustrating time scribing the B nose, which is reasonably complex. I started by drawing out the markings based around the 3-view. In this case the Warpaint version - it may be accurate i may not be, who knows :(. I have the Yellow Mushroom drawings too and they are much the same in general layout.

IMG_0327

However after much cursing and mumbling to myself I've gone for a simplified version. My concern is how I get it to like reasonably seamless from the Trumper panel lines. I fear this one wont end up high up on my "likes" list. I feel it in my bones already. I HATE SCRIBING! Anyhow, having got that pretty much done I've got the girl looking like an aeroplane now:

IMG_0329

With the forward canopy now on I can get that sealed this afternoon and tomorrow, hopefully, I can get that areas sanded and acceptable before the overall primer goes on. I'll then know, of course, how he panel lines look. I've only a couple of modelling opportunities left before Santa disrupts everything and I have to take a break..... More update in the coming dates I hope!

Martin

• Like 2

The scribing tool has gone back in the box and wont re-appear for a while! I reckon I've got a reasonable compromise now between the complexity of the B-model nose panels and what I am prepared to give up time, my remaining hair and build time for. I'll admist to not being even close to an novice when it comes to scribing so I'll put that out there now ;).

Having completed that I set about the other tedious task of searching every join and seam for gaps where my range of fillers could find a home. With the Trumper being a pretty good fit the task was reasonably simple. The main weak areas of the kit are 1) the forward canopy fit and the intake front ends as they don't match top/bottom. I fixed the canopy with my usual Formula 560 and once dried (overnight), and having masked off the canopy itself, I further masked areas around the seam between it and the fuselage where sanding might remove detail. Then it is a matter of lightly sanding to shape. No big deal ..... unless you like to count rivets...... ;) Thereafter a further seal of the Formula 560, cleaned up with a damp rag and that was done. The intakes got a little "Gloop" on the inside and after curing a light application of sanding sheet wrapped around a cocktail stick. Yes, I'm quite Heath Robinson about things!  I used a little more Formula 560 - only a very little - along the wing/fuselage joins too. Then a check all over for flaws, dents, gashes, marks and once happy out came the trusty Badger 200 :).

Right now, after a light overall dusting of primer (Humbrol 1, in this case) she looks like this....

IMG_0335

To recap, as I have not detailed any of the standard mods in this thread as there are repeats, so far she's had:

1. Hasegawa F-105B Thunderchief nose married to the Trumper ahead of the nose radar rear plate (thus no cutting of the Trumper) and then sanded to new shape.

2. The dorsal wiring duct was removed and the spine modified accordingly

3. All strengthening plates removed (fuselage and underwings)

4. Fin tip antennas were removed

5. The ventral fin was removed and replaced by a new PlastiKard one without the arrester hook

6. Overall she had a light application along the rivets with Correction fluid, the excess removed with White Spirit

Other than that she is OOB.

Hopefully she'll be ready for her first coat of white tomorrow - for the tail band and as an undercoat for the red areas. I will also then get the spine Olive Drab on..... fingers crossed and time being willing.... All subject to the demands of the season!¬

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4