Trumpeter conversion F-105B Thunderchief 1/72 - 54-0107 - update 25/02/19 Decaling started

Hi Bill!

Yes, in their early configuration, without the various antennas, additional intakes, wiring ducts, nav light and aerial additions, etc they were far more sleek. Out of choice, If I do another Thud (not just yet!) it would be another earlier machine and probably a twin-stick. I've said on another thread here somewhere, I've had my eyes on a Combat Martin F-105F. I've a lot to do before I get to that, though ;)....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AMB said:

Ay chance this might be finished as a Thunderbirds machine?

Nope! ;).... She is going to be as in the images on page one of this thread AMB. Sorry to disappoint but teams and team schemes aren't my thing. Each to their own, of course. ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

So I lied a little! Sorry.... I just had an hour or so to do a little work on this and the Voodoo. Today I tackled the centreline for the tank. On the B-model there was the capability of using a small tank, very similar to thank used underwing. It was hung under a pylon that was practically the same shape in side profile as the one used for the six-point MER. However, it had strengthening (?) fillets on each side. I approached this with the same Plasticard used for "Mr Toad"s centreline pylon and then added some thinner strips alongside. This sides were then sanded to shape.   

As you can see. I have drilled and fit location pins which then fit in the kit holes that are used for the larger tank. This means - like I did with "Mr Toad" that I can remove this as I need for display or transportation purposes. 

IMG_0349

IMG_0350

IMG_0351

I will now drill similar locating holes and fit pins for the tank itself.

That's it, done for today!

Martin

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all! 

A short update as Christmas etc is now past us! :)

Further to my last posting about the centreline pylon I have realised that the side fillets are wrong. I will be re-building these. 

Today - and nothing too exciting - it has been about painting! I have now got the Olive Drab spine done (Humbrol 155) as well as the NMF areas (Humbrol 27002) on the fin, fuselage and wings where the National Insignia, "USAF" and serial will be placed. I need to do this prior to the next application which will be the white - after masking these areas in readiness for the Insignia Red (Humbrol 153) on the tail end and wing tips. Now this will stall a little until the masks arrive. Here is is this afternoon:

IMG_0389

I had a little overrun of the Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium but I will fix that later. More next week :)

Martin

• Like 4

'afternoon all!

Like with the Voodoo, I have managed to get a little done today, although nothing mind-bending to report. Simply I got the Olive Drab spine masked and the black on the nose radome. I did realise, though, that during this build and my previous two, I didn't show you the faults in the kit wheels. It is pretty obvious from these images where the differences lie:

IMG_0396

IMG_0397

My resin alternatives - essential alternatives - are Aires (7240). I hope this helps any future Thud builders!

Back soon.

Martin

• Like 5

The ventral pylon and tank needed some re-work.

"Further to my last posting about the centreline pylon I have realised that the side fillets are wrong. I will be re-building these. "

Here she is, now corrected:

IMG_0429

During this process it came to light that I had completely mis-measured the ventral fin. So my first job was to get that re-shaped. Thereafter the pylon and tank sat nicely. The difference my Mk.1 attempt is that the fillets along the side of the pylon are now more rakish and curved. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

Hi all!!!

The masks arrived a few days ago, courtesy of @Giorgio N, and I've been applying them and getting a white undercoat on for the Insignia Red areas. The masks are cut on low tack sheet. To apply them you take a lower tack transparent sheet, lay it over the mask, press to apply pressure for adhesion and remove the transparent layer. This then means you have a mask that is easy to locate on the model. Some shots:

IMG_0746

IMG_0750

IMG_0755

IMG_0748

IMG_0756

IMG_0759

The stars-and-bars are easier to apply and for these I simply removed them from their sheet with tweezers and located them. 

Then a few passes with Colourcoat white and ....

IMG_0760

I reckon I will need a few over sprays on the fin with Humbrol Matt White for the white stripe. The Colourcoat gives a wonderful finish but doesn't come out clear white. For the undercoat it is okay. So, that is next and then masking the fin stripe and applying the red, probably over Monday and Tuesday. The image in the first post of this thread shows how these will be. I will then need to add an International Orange band within the white. More mask, paint, mask, paint, etc ...... ;)

As I said, this is simply and under coat. She now needs to cure overnight while I get on with the Voodoo .......

Within the next two weeks or so, with this and the Voodoo closing in on the finish line, I will be starting my F-104A :). Its about time I did a Starfighter!!! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added text 18/01/19
  • Like 5

White dilemma .....

Having had her sitting overnight it is clear that while the Colourcoats white airbrushes beautifully it does not give a bright white, more a muddy pale grey. Maybe I did something wrong? I'm not sure that I have. Therefore I will give her a second round with Humbrol Matt White as a next step. Has anyone else suffered the same?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Now she is starting to look colourful :) !

After some down time to nurse a little illness I got to the Thud today. Having resprayed the tail again with Humbrol 130 Satin White a day or so ago, I have now got the "Arctic Red" on over the "white" undercoat. From this point, and once the red is cured I will mask for the International Orange tail band and then mask that and the other red areas, and give the model an overall Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium coat or two. Here she is:

IMG_0862

Slowly, slowly, as is my way ..... ;)

Martin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Finally, after being laid up for a while with flu - some time to get the Thud moving along. Today she has had the 27002 Metalcote applied, following earlier masking and the fin stripe added. She now needs to cure for a few days before I get to repair a few bleeds, add the canopy lining, and then buffing ;). So far, so good ....... :)

40107 27002 on

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...