Revell F-47D-30 Thunderbolt 1/72 - Latin Style

Hi everyone!

Finally the next member of the Kartveli line-up is Ready For Inspection. Alexander Kartveli was, of course, the designer of types such as the SEV-3, P-35, F-84 series and the mighty F-105.

This time, and as a side interest, I’ve gone for the Thunderbolt and, as is my way, it is in the markings of the Cuerpo de Aviación Militar Dominicana, the forerunner of the Fuerza Aerea Dominicana. She depicts aircraft number 1113 of a fleet that consisted of around 25 machines, operating from Trujillo Airbase. Most popularly these are illustrated and modelled as either 1124 or 1125 in the red trim, rather than the yellow shown on 1113. Again, my like for the more unusual led me to this scheme. Here is a grainy photo of her:

1113d

Typically these machines were kept pretty clean. However, I’ve used a little “modeller’s licence” and finished her as I am sure she would have been after a few months of operations – a little grubby, particularly the yellow.

She is an F-47D-30 and the base kit is the Revell boxing, which is a great kit to build. It is clean, easy and has ample detail. So, what did I do/use?:

Kit – Revell P-47D-30 (04155) 1/72

Decals – Home printed serials and tail code, Mehusla YK-88-1 white stars, Carpena 72-28 national insignia and unit badge, Xtradecal white stripes, Kit decals for stencilling etc.

Paints – overall Humbrol Metalcote H27002 with H32 Black anti-dazzle, H154 Insignia yellow, H27004 Metalcote Gunmetal, H189 Insignia Blue and H153 Insignia Red, plus Humbrol Satincote varnish.

Paint mask – Montex 72001

Plastruct plastic rod for new pitot (corrected shape and the kit one was bent/broken)

I hope you like here.

Martin

DSC_0888

DSC_0889

DSC_0891

DSC_0893

DSC_0892

DSC_0885

• Like 46

Thanks also for your kind comment, Vinnie. I was very pleased how the Revell kit came together. The detail is super and the fit, apart from around the lower intake, it excellent. I have another in the pile, together will a number of decal sets,  for a further Latino in the future :).

Martin

On 23 November 2018 at 4:21 AM, 72modeler said:

Martin,

Caramba! Muy bonito! Sure looks different in Dominican markings. Dan Hagedorn would be proud of you! Very nice build, too! 👌

Mike

Hi Mike! Thanks for that. Yes, she certainly is colourful. :). I made a couple of errors in the build but she turned out okay, I reckon. The kit is a pleasure to build.

22 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Very nce model Martin, like it a lot ! That's a very colourful Jug you have there

Hi Giorgio!

Like Mike above, your validation means a lot to me. Of course, your help via the Hagerdorn book, helped me hugely :).

Martin