56 Squadron meteor decals??

Redstaff

Hi good people

I'm doing a 1/48th Airfix meteor F8 for the forthcoming 50's NATO v Warsaw pact GB and after doing a Hunter F6 in 56 squadron colours, thought it would be nice to do the meteor from the same squadron as it had 13 F8's from 1950 to '56 ish

I've had a bit of a trawl around the net and haven't come across any as yet and I may be chasing something that doesn't exist. I know a lot of people have better memories than mine and may know if they do in fact exist and maybe even the manufacturer or even better a link

Any help gratefully accepted

Many thanks 

Ian

Edited by Redstaff
Extra info
  • Like 1

Evening Ian,

only thing I can find is on set 72-057 of Xtradecals:-

WK 803 'V' 56 Sqdn. RAF Waterbeach 1953, she took part in the Coronation flypast.

Colour scheme - Aluminium overall, with Squadron checks either side of the fuselage roundel.

Individual aircraft identification letter 'V' both sides of the vertical tail between fuselage and horizontal tail,

repeated on the nose wheel door.

HTH

Paul

Hi @PhoenixII, that's great I'd go with that, but unfortunately it's in 72nd rather than the 48th i want

Usually they do both scales, but I've had a look round and I can only see the 72nd 

Looks like I'll have to go with something else

Thanks for looking though, much appreciated :) 

Ian

54 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Can you adapt something to suit? Airfix's Lightning F1/F2A has the checks and I'm sure there'd be a few spares floating around

Hi @mackem01, that might be the way to go I think, thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of that way 

I need to do a bit of research and see if I can get some good pics to get some sizes off to see what's compatible :) 

Ian

10 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Ian, profile of WK803 on page 25 of Warpaint No.22.

Hi PhoenixII,  I haven't got a copy of that, is there any chance you could scan it for me please, or a link to view if it is inline

I've had a look at the lightning decals as I have one in the stash, but they are cut short on the wing side to 2 blocks past the roundel, but I think one for the phantom might do

Many thanks

Ian

• 3 months later...

Well guys

After a long fruitless search and basically giving up of trying to find other 56 squadron chequers to suit, I was browsing Ebay and stumbled across this sheet :)

So the holy grail does exist in 1/48th 😁

20190226_095851

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilh said:

looks like the Classic Airframe decals from their F8. I may have those spare ( I build the Australian one) so PM me .

Hi neilh, yes you are right they are the classic airframe ones

PM inbound :) 

On 11/20/2018 at 5:23 AM, Redstaff said:

I'm doing a 1/48th Airfix meteor F8 ... and after doing a Hunter F6 in 56 squadron colours, thought it would be nice to do the meteor from the same squadron as it had 13 F8's from 1950 to '56 ish

And I've just started a 56 Squadron Typhoon IA in 1/48!  Mine won't have checkers, though- glad you got the decals sorted- I probably have them too, but wouldn't have remembered.  (First time I noticed this thread.)

bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

And I've just started a 56 Squadron Typhoon IA in 1/48!

Hi Bob

That will be good to follow, which kit and decals are you using for future reference of increasing my 56 squadron collection 

Best regards

Ian