P-47D wings?

Simon

Just now, Simon said:

Hello everyone

Just a quick question: was the P-47D wing the same on both the earlier 'razorback' the later 'bubble' canopy variants of the P-47D?

Ta!

Simon

AFAIK, yes.

There maybe some small differences,  and if I'm wrong then hopefully my incorrect assertion will be corrected ;)

On late bubbletops the dive recovery flaps were added (also rocket stubs on some?)  Some early razorbacks had no pylons for drop tanks/bombs.  Otherwise I do think the wing remained essentially the same.  Perhaps some detail change in ailerons, such as added servo-tabs?  Obviously the P-47 is not one of my areas of obsession.

If You compare D-22 with D-25 then Yes. Starting with D-30 there were compressibility flaps added (landing light had to be moved here), and of course N model brought major wing reconstruction. With D-30 the new ailerons entered presenting 'blunt' profile. Throughout all production small changes were added. Reinforcement of the components and additional wiring and plumbing were necessary to make carrying more arms and gas possible. Pylons were the outer sign of the changes. Still most of the changes were prepared in a way to be done 'in the field' too. You can find D-2s being indistinguishable from late Razorback models.

Edited by greatgonzo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

On late bubbletops the dive recovery flaps were added (also rocket stubs on some?)  Some early razorbacks had no pylons for drop tanks/bombs.  Otherwise I do think the wing remained essentially the same.  Perhaps some detail change in ailerons, such as added servo-tabs?  Obviously the P-47 is not one of my areas of obsession.

Yep, all correct, and the landing light had to be moved from underneath the wing inboard to outboard, due to the installation of the dive recovery flaps.

Mike

Oops, just now saw greatgonzo's post- sorry! 

- flap doors : B, C D to D10

- 3 reco lights under the starboard wing : not on B & D1 up to D10

- dive recovery flaps : D30 up to, the ldg light move near the wingtip.

The rounded leading edge of aileron become sharped on late version

Edited by BS_w
  • Thanks 2