Grey confusion

perdu

Hi, I know this must be a commonly well known thing but can anyone tell me what Grey Royal Navy Merlins are painted? (Lynx/Wildcat too?)

And because I find another large helicopter to build in my stash what grey were US Marine Sea Stallions, the two engine ones

I am going back to helicopters in my near future builds and this information will help me enormously

Thinking about it, can the Airfix CH53 be used to make the Sea Stallion, I have one of those sitting around making the place untidy

Hope you chaps can help, thanks

I'm not only relying on you guys you know, is the grey on the Merlin Medium Sea Grey?

It has the look of the grey on the two grey Jaguar I made but I just cannot persuade search engines to ignore Merlin engined machines in the search phase

😣

When originally introduced they were painted in MSG. As the majority of them haven't been completely repainted since their introduction, the base colour has faded quite a bit. This contrasts nicely with more recently applied MSG, which varies considerably from quite green, quite blue and some more in keeping with what MSG "should" be. This is from the writing on the packets and tins of paint we use to touch up the aircraft. 

If often makes me laugh when people get hot under the collar talking about official colours and how we must strictly adhere to these rules(!) when making our kits (most noticeable in the WW2 Luftwaffe community for some reason?). 

The Merlins now are very multicoloured grey and would make a great subject for those who love to practice overweathering.

Forget boring WW2 Luftwaffe, try this for weathering

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy, gloss finish does not come as a surprise 

We've all seen how glossy Royal Navy colours matted down very rapidly, just what you would expect

I can look out for the bigger tanks now I have your advice to work with

Cheers

Another request for colour information re: Merlin

Early photos show the wheel wells in a greeny chromate colour but later in-service pictures seem to imply a light grey colour in there

Can anyone confirm that a paler grey than MSG would be OK please?

And the interior looks paler than the exterior, is it a particular BS paint colour?

On 11/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, perdu said:

Another request for colour information re: Merlin

Early photos show the wheel wells in a greeny chromate colour but later in-service pictures seem to imply a light grey colour in there

Can anyone confirm that a paler grey than MSG would be OK please?

And the interior looks paler than the exterior, is it a particular BS paint colour?

Wheel wells - if I remember (I'm not in work at the moment) are the same MSG as the outside. Legs and wheels are a pale grey colour.

The interior is composed of quilted sound proof panels and hard plastic material (never sure what it's made from). These are a darker grey than the MSG outside, approx mid way between MSG and dark sea grey (could even be DSG?). The cabinets and floor is roughly the same colour.

One thing to note is the cockpit - it's black!! Black floor, black window frames, black seat cushions, black seat belts and shells, black instrument coaming, black instrument panel, black cyclic and collective and black inter seat console. 

The seats fitted in the rear (apart from being painful to sit on after more than 10 minutes) are...black!! Black metal frames and black metal sheet wrapped around them to form the seat and back rest (and hence a pain to sit on - those who think ahead borrow seat cushions for their seat and their back!).

Colour inside comes from the MS10 liferaft (yellow), red hand held fire extinguishers and yellow (increasingly green) PSP the aircrew sit on. The PSP are covered in a softish green cushion (the same as those that the passengers in the back will use if they remember to plan ahead!)  with a lambs wool pad on top.

I'll add more as I remember

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm a bit 'been there done that' after the Wasp and the Bucc and the Sea Vixen

I just fancy two bigger grey jollychopters for this event

Probably not too likely even though the Merlin has it as a build possibility

We'll have to see...

:)

On November 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM, PhoenixII said:

No answer for you perdu, but have a look here:- https://www.scramble.nl/orbats/united-kingdom/navy quite a few nice pictures.

On November 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Sonoran said:

The paint shop diagrams call for 16081, not 26076.

Agreed..USN helo's are finished in engine grey 36081 (16081).  

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'll get on that soon

In the mean time does this look anything like a Merlin's glass cockpit and search display

All looks to trite to me and not proper

20181202-115820.jpg

I'm not sure why it matters a'cos this is supposed to be OOB

😕

• Haha 1

The picture is a Mk2, the model is a Mk1 and the instrument panel on the model is grey and you've painted the pilots seats cushions green....read my post above!!! It's ALL black!!! LoL Ha ha

And to answer your question, yes it really is that "basic" in there. Very few or none (depending on version) traditional instruments.

Jeff

Added a LoL and a few "Ha" to avoid an aggressive sounding post
  • Haha 1

The cockpit floor is black up to the point where the rear cockpit bulkheads are, then there is a small step down into the rear crew position where everything is the "interior" grey colour. And if you really wanted to be "Predannack" the rear of the cockpit bulkheads don't show any of the flight controls as they are covered by contoured panels coloured.....BLACK!!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

So black panels (yes and seats) for a mark 2 and the kit decals are fine for a mark 1

Yes I can/will paint all up front black then as I do fancy a little updating

Thank you, I'll make new panels for the data screens

• 2 weeks later...

Well OKayy, I'm comitted to the Merlin being the later variant but wondering about the CH-53 now

The Marines version is very easily to be made from the Airfix kit as it comes but I am getting tempted by that lovely Pave Low MH-53 in Cosford

Does any aftermarket supplier make the conversion set for the nose, that anyone knows of, or should I consider making and casting a new nose myself?

All very tentative at present, I'm still trying to make the wing folds on my Sea Vixen do the job but the helicopters are very close to takeoff

(Ah noted unintended jest, sorry guys)