Eurofighter typhoon

Redstaff

Good morning

I was looking at building an RAF Typhoon in 1/48 (Single seat) and the only one readily available seems to be the German Bronze tiger one

Can an RAF version be built from this kit or what do I need to modify it as the older single seat kits seem to be commanding a fairly high price on a well known auction site

Many thanks

Ian

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Good morning

I was looking at building an RAF Typhoon in 1/48 (Single seat) and the only one readily available seems to be the German Bronze tiger one

Can an RAF version be built from this kit or what do I need to modify it as the older single seat kits seem to be commanding a fairly high price on a well known auction site

Many thanks

Ian

Should be no problem using this kit for a RAF  jet Just make sure you use the correct missiles (ASRAAMS) not IRIS-T.

Selwyn

45 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Should be no problem using this kit for a RAF  jet Just make sure you use the correct missiles (ASRAAMS) not IRIS-T.

Thanks Selwyn

I'll look into getting one then :) 

Hi @exdraken decals aren't a problem I have the 2014 xtradecal RAF update for doing the anniversary Tornado GR4 and I fancy doing the 29 squadron ZK343 with the black fin :) 

001014311.jpg

Are the RAF weapons in the box as well as the German ones then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi @exdraken 

Are the RAF weapons in the box as well as the German ones then?

Yeah. But no decals afaik

Storm Shadows, Asraam. Amraam. Meteor, Sidewinder....I think that is it regarding RAF options....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah. But no decals afaik

Storm Shadows, Asraam. Amraam. Meteor, Sidewinder....I think that is it regarding RAF options....

The RAF does not carry sidewinder on Typhoon.

Selwyn

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The RAF does not carry sidewinder on Typhoon.

Selwyn

and never did? not sure, but that might have been only BAe ones....

is Storm Shadow operational already?

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

and never did? not sure, but that might have been only BAe ones....

is Storm Shadow operational already?

The sidewinder was replaced on front line  RAF Tornado F3  fighter by ASRAAM years ago. Why would the RAF revert back to sidewinder on its replacement Typhoon? the Aim 9L/M is a 40 + year old design, and although good it is totally outclassed by more modern missiles.

Would you buy a very expensive ultra capable fighter aircraft  and equip it with ancient armament?

I can tell you that you have definitely seen images of the development aircraft carrying them, but I think it was only the Italian Air force aircraft actually used them for  a while. 

Selwyn

• Like 2

Selwyn is absolutely correct. The RAF never equipped the Typhoon with the AIM-9, instead using ASRAAM from service introduction.

As regards the Storm Shadow, under Project Centurion RAF Block 2/3A Typhoons are now integrated with both it and the Meteor, and Brimstone will follow by the end of the year.

19 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

As regards the Storm Shadow, under Project Centurion RAF Block 2/3A Typhoons are now integrated with both it and the Meteor, and Brimstone will follow by the end of the year.

Any photos of operational Typhoons with Storm Shadows? Usually RAF is keen on publicity of such a kind!

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, Sundowner14 said:

I don’t think RAF jets have been used for the trials. May be wrong, but...

The Italian development aircraft IPA2 carried out the trials process. As yet no operational RAF aircraft have used them in anger, and there seems to be little in the way of photos of them carrying the missile. I suspect that when Centurion is completed and the Tornado is stood down the RAF will be happy to publicise the Typhoon's new capabilities with all three of its new weapons.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

There is this  photo of an aircraft in 2 Sqn marks with the weapon and a load of others but I suspect it may be a plastic model with an airshow fit.

1-2016-4_ef_future_weapons.jpg

This is one of the ‘plastic’ Typhoons, photo from RIAT, as confirmed by the fact that you’re not going to put a real jet on grass and the hospitality pavilion in the background. I saw this being put together, and was there when they took it apart.

Edited by Sundowner14
Typo
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The Italian development aircraft IPA2 carried out the trials process. As yet no operational RAF aircraft have used them in anger, and there seems to be little in the way of photos of them carrying the missile. I suspect that when Centurion is completed and the Tornado is stood down the RAF will be happy to publicise the Typhoon's new capabilities with all three of its new weapons.

Yeah... but Italian development aircraft does not translate automatically into RAF capability, less so trained aircrew... :(

Typhoon is a multi-national programme with risks and development shared across the partners and those customers with money. So whilst it may not automatically translate that Italian development aircraft = RAF capability, I haven’t read anywhere that Storm Shadow is being retired with Tornado and or will be kept in store until cleared for Lightning or left field, Poseidon. 

I think the planners have this covered, but that’s only my (perhaps informed 😉) opinion....

Storm Shadow and Meteor are now integrated on RAF Tranche 2/3A Typhoons. Brimstone is due to follow which will allow the Typhoon to replace the Tornado once the latter is retired. It is also in service with the Italian Air Force and is now offered as part of Eurofighter's export packages, hence why a lot of the trials work was carried out by Alenia Aermacchi on IPA2.

https://www.forces.net/services/tri-service/enhancing-eurofighter-typhoon-storm-shadow-missiles

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-hails-typhoon-worlds-potent-fighter-completing-weapons-testing/

https://www.janes.com/article/81570/raf-receives-first-centurion-typhoons-ahead-of-tornado-retirement

Edited by Truro Model Builder

4 hours ago, Sundowner14 said:

Typhoon is a multi-national programme with risks and development shared across the partners and those customers with money. So whilst it may not automatically translate that Italian development aircraft = RAF capability, I haven’t read anywhere that Storm Shadow is being retired with Tornado and or will be kept in store until cleared for Lightning or left field, Poseidon. 

I think the planners have this covered, but that’s only my (perhaps informed 😉) opinion....

I do not doubt that all! integrated does still not mean operational, only that is what I wanted to know!  i.e. when I model a CURRENT (late 201😎 RAF Typhoon, with what squadron Storm Shadow loadout would be CORRECT? I assume only FGR.4 T2/3 ones count anyways.....

thanks!

And would Meteor be available already for operations (lets say from Cyprus) ?

thanks!!

I believe Meteor, Brimstone and Storm Shadow are all part of the Project Centurion upgrade, of which the RAF does have capable and refitted aircraft delivered. This upgrade is to provide the capabilites lost when the Tornado retires.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 12:09 PM, Agent K said:

I believe Meteor, Brimstone and Storm Shadow are all part of the Project Centurion upgrade, of which the RAF does have capable and refitted aircraft delivered. This upgrade is to provide the capabilites lost when the Tornado retires.

That is my understanding as well.

But no proof that it is already operational!

Nevermind,  more important things out there as long as ....

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, exdraken said:

That is my understanding as well.

But no proof that it is already operational!

Nevermind,  more important things out there as long as ....

Absolutely, exdraken, capable aircraft does not make operational capability. I think I understood things as fully developed and signed off ai9rcarft capability by early December, with, I guess a period of acheiveing operational capaibilty Q1 2019 to meet the Tornado OOS date.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 8:49 PM, exdraken said:

I do not doubt that all! integrated does still not mean operational, only that is what I wanted to know!  i.e. when I model a CURRENT (late 201😎 RAF Typhoon, with what squadron Storm Shadow loadout would be CORRECT? I assume only FGR.4 T2/3 ones count anyways.....

thanks!

And would Meteor be available already for operations (lets say from Cyprus) ?

thanks!!

To be honest, squadron markings are now practically nonexistent on RAF Typhoons; nearly all the fleet has had all squadron markings removed since commencing Operation Shader. This is seemingly to prevent retaliation by militants, or to cut costs -take your pick. However, all of the current frontline squadrons, Nos.1, 2, 3, 6 and 11 Squadrons, operate Tranche 2 and 3A aircraft, and will undertake multi-role operations with Storm Shadow, Brimstone and Meteor. The two squadrons that will operate Tranche 1 jets in a purely UK air defence role -Nos.9 and 12 Squadrons- will be equipped with AMRAAM and ASRAAM only.

With the Tornado to be retired by March, Typhoon will be declared operational with Storm Shadow by then.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:43 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

To be honest, squadron markings are now practically nonexistent on RAF Typhoons; nearly all the fleet has had all squadron markings removed since commencing Operation Shader. This is seemingly to prevent retaliation by militants, or to cut costs -take your pick. However, all of the current frontline squadrons, Nos.1, 2, 3, 6 and 11 Squadrons, operate Tranche 2 and 3A aircraft, and will undertake multi-role operations with Storm Shadow, Brimstone and Meteor. The two squadrons that will operate Tranche 1 jets in a purely UK air defence role -Nos.9 and 12 Squadrons- will be equipped with AMRAAM and ASRAAM only.

With the Tornado to be retired by March, Typhoon will be declared operational with Storm Shadow by then.

All comments about which squadrons will be dedicated to which role is pure speculation. 12 Squadron, for example, was announced as a joint UK/Qatari squadron, so it makes no sense for it to be limited to an air defence role with Tranche 1 aircraft.