Acrylic paint and brushes.

Xavnl

Hey!

I have a problem with my paints/primers.

I primed some parts, tried to, both with thinned and pure primer and the end result is quite horrible. Primer will not spread equally, it's like when you try to brush some over-thinned paint.

Same result with the paints. 

Primers used are Mig and Vallejo ones (grey and white).

Is 'modern' acrylic designed to be used mostly by airbrush?

A primer needs to be able to stick well to plastic. Is the primer water based acrylic? If so, you need to wash your model kit thoroughly before, otherwise you will have big issues. I have also found Vallejo to have poor adherence to plastic. Try priming with some Tamiya primer from a rattlecan.

If I was you I’d get some Halfords yellow or grey primer. The normal stuff not the plastic type.

its great stuff you only need a light coat and it’s very permanent. Ideal for brushing over and the paint really grips.

Rob 

I’ve been brush painting exclusively for years now. Since the Airbrush packed up. Got a new one now but still brush sometimes as it can work very well.

for acrylics I thin them with Windsor and newton. Flow improver. For water types like revel humbrol citadel etc. It makes them thin and brush like an enamel. If thinner enough no brush marks as it levels.

for enamels thin them with swan lighter fluid and they brush out very well too.

halfords primer works great just make sure it’s well shaken and aclimatised to the room your working it and go light from a distance. To close and you risk it going gritty. If that happens which is rare. Micro mesh is your friend.

should have success this way though.

cheers Rob :) 

I have used Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Surface Primers for a few years now. I have never thinned them and I always apply them via the airbrush, so I don't know what their performance is with a hairy stick. The only time I had a problem was when I tried to sand it. Have you tried putting it on straight from the bottle?

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

I have used Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Surface Primers for a few years now. I have never thinned them and I always apply them via the airbrush, so I don't know what their performance is with a hairy stick. The only time I had a problem was when I tried to sand it. Have you tried putting it on straight from the bottle?

Yep, same result.

I cleaned all the parts, I guess primer from a rattlecan will be the solution until the airbrush time. It stinks but it works.

• Like 1

I can get away with no primer with acrylics after thorough washing and using paints that stick well (Revell Aqua, Model Master Acrylic, etc), but Vallejo has never worked for me in this way. Those rattlecans will get the job done for you, and at least speaking of the Tamiya, it dries quickly too (though it does stink until it dries...). Good luck.