1/72 - Douglas A-20 Boston Mk.III Intruder & Mk.IV/V (ex-MPM) by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Nice art. How good/easy is the MPM Boston?

I'm building the A-20G variant in the Pacific at War GB, it's not the easiest of builds as the fit of several parts require a lot of fettling to get it right. At the same time it's a nice kit, looks good in terms of shapes, it's not extremely detailed but what's there is good and can be a nice canvas to add even more detail. Overall I'd rate this as the best Boston available in this scale but it's not for those who only accept tamigawa style engineering and fit. Personally I like it quite a lot

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks as good as a Hasegawa kit in the box but not an easy fit. Biggest problems were that the nose glazing was wider  than the corresponding fuselage front and the wing roots were not as deep as the wing root fairing on the fuselage pieces. Both easily resolved with a little careful shimming if you know about it before you have the fuselage and the wings firmly assembled. Guess who didn’t. Sorted in the end but I had to resort to sanding down the sides of the nose glazing, polishing it back to clarity and re-scribing the framing. Not for the faint hearted but the glazing was thick enough to permit it. Fixed the wing root problem by matching the top and creating a putty fairing on the bottom. Just don’t turn it over.

Seems like fuselage/glazing mismatch is a common issue with MPM/Special Hobby kits, especially older ones. Always a good idea to check before committing to glue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Checked my Ducimus reference for the MSG/DG over Smooth Night finish  and found the following ( edited) " Some of the Boston III (Intruders)… and night fighters were reported as being re-painted in the new scheme but, unfortunately, no photographs exist which could provide confirmation of this. Squadron records are equally bare..." I realize that those words would have been written nigh on 50 years ago now  but I would appreciate it if anybody can provide photographic confirmation of the above scheme. What are the other schemes for this latest boxing?

Released - SH72398 - Douglas Boston Mk.III Intruder - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/boston-mk-iii-intruder.html

Schemes & decals

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2019/03/sh72398-boston-mkiii-intruder-kamuflaze.html

SH72398_Boston_Mk.III_Intruder_camoA.jpg SH72398_Boston_Mk.III_Intruder_camoB.jpg

SH72398_Boston_Mk.III_Intruder_camoC.jpg SH72398_Boston_Mk.III_Intruder_camoD.jpg

SH72398_decals_e-shop.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was it not the MPM kit(s) that were repackaged by Revell as the Boston III & Boston V? I had the latter, Definitely not an easy build but, with care and patience it turned out fine!

Allan

21 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Was it not the MPM kit(s) that were repackaged by Revell as the Boston III & Boston V? I had the latter, Definitely not an easy build but, with care and patience it turned out fine!

Allan

Exactly, and the Revell kit had all MPM variants plastic included, so not only that which was nominally in the box (I mean those supported by decals ). I have couple of MPM Boston  in stash but not done any yet. I confirm - in box plastic looks great!

Cheers

j-W

If one would complain about the MPM version, one would be appalled at the High Planes version. "Looks rough" doesn't even cover it! Most High Planes models I've seen/built are extremely difficult builds. Basically a bar of soap and a photo of the plane. The Me-262  V1 prototype and a couple of their air racers are the ones I've made it through. We're not talking Merlin level unbuildable, but they are a struggle nonetheless. 

Edited by Kevin Callahan

I believe the schemes and markings for this re release are the same as on DK decals sheets for Havoc night fighters 72065 and night intruders 72068, DK has another sheet of UK based Boston's 72062 with D-day Boston IIIA .

I have all the Boston kits available and the MPM kits (Later Revell) are the best by far but not the easiest to make . 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, Kevin Callahan said:

If one would complain about the MPM version, one would be appalled at the High Planes version. "Looks rough" doesn't even cover it! Most High Planes models I've seen/built are extremely difficult builds. Basically a bar of soap and a photo of the plane. The Me-262  V1 prototype and a couple of their air racers are the ones I've made it through. We're not talking Merlin level unbuildable, but they are a struggle nonetheless. 

All depends, I expect on your perspective.  I have never had a real problem with High Planes kits.   I am not suggesting they are at  Tamigawa level of fit but if care is used, they can and will fit together well and will look good.   Please, don't be put off by disparaging comments like this.  High Planes are short run kits but they are accurate, unlike some of the big names'.

• Like 2

Yes, it is all a matter of perspective (isn't most everything?). If you value detail accuracy over buildability, then HPM are custom made for you. I do not; therefore I couldn't recommend an older HPM kit (not sure about the new owners) for those who prize buildability. 

On 4/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Kevin Callahan said:

Yes, it is all a matter of perspective (isn't most everything?). If you value detail accuracy over buildability, then HPM are custom made for you. I do not; therefore I couldn't recommend an older HPM kit (not sure about the new owners) for those who prize buildability. 

That is your choice.  Let us agree to disagree.  We both enjoy modelling, just to different standards.  High Planes make IMO quite good kits.  Your disparaging remarks aside, that is my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...