1/72 - Vickers Type 267 Vildebeest Mk. III (ex-Azur-FRROM) by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

Special Hobby has just re- released the Azur-FRROM (link  & link) 1/72nd Vickers Type 267 Vildebeest Mk. III kit - ref. SH72400

Sources:

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/vickers-vildebeest-mk-iii-1-72.html

http://www.specialhobby.info/2018/10/sh72400-vickers-type-267-vildebeest.html

Standa Hajek has finished yet another of his superb paintings which is to adorn our impending release, SH72400 Vickers Type 267 Vildebeest Mk.III. Originally, this kit was a turnkey project for our French partner at Azur-Frrom, now as agrered with the company, we are going to rebox it under our label with the original decal sheet and photo-etched fret, but with the instruction booklet and colour scheme profiles updated to reflect the latest development of research on the colours worn by Vildebeests in Singapore.

5E79BD1E-0FEC-422D-91F2-7F12E2D28962_sh7

In box review: https://www.detailscaleview.com/2018/11/special-hobby-vickers-type267-sh72400-review.html

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Really interested in building one of these and agree it's  lovely art work  but I was under the impression that Singapore Vildebeests were in the 'tropical' scheme of Dark Mediterranean Blue and Dark Green? Whats brought about this 'latest development in research'? I'd hate to paint it in the wrong colours..... I must admit tho' I prefer it as now shown in Dark Green and Dark Earth....Any help appreciated...

Edited by keithjs

There was a big discussion in two threads on those colours and the conclusion was that it was (sorry - it is dull and boring) DK Green. DK Earth, Sky as should be in end of 1941 . Currently I am slowly constructing it (with some 4 others in paralel )....

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

I have the original releases of the Vildebeest and Vincent from about ten years ago. Great kits but a big issue is that the rear gunners position in the Vincent and Vildebeest III had a Fairey High-Speed mounting for the rear gun not the Scarff ring as in the kit so needs some of the rear decking cutting back. Don't think this has been addressed in the new re-release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JWM said:

There was a big discussion in two threads on those colours and the conclusion was that it was (sorry - it is dull and boring) DK Green. DK Earth, Sky as should be in end of 1941 . Currently I am slowly constructing it (with some 4 others in paralel )....

Regards

J-W

Actually, I'm not sure the scheme in this kit is correct.  Pre-war photos show the undersides were black with Type A roundels under the wings.  Given that the Vildebeests were initially used as night bombers ('cos they had no chance of surviving operating in daylight...as illustrated by the Endau Raid), I'd be surprised if the black undersides weren't also used for early operations.  There are a few photos of wrecked Vildebeests captured by the Japanese which show light-toned undersides but with no underwing roundels.  It's possible that the aircraft were given a quick coat of the local sky-blue colour (as used on 27 Sqn Blenheims and for the fighter stripes on Buffalos) prior to the Endau Raid, although I freely admit this is just my personal pet theory.  

Also, the decal sheet doesn't have any Type B roundels for the upper wing upper surfaces.  The original kit included Type A roundels in the upper wing position but those are absolutely incorrect, as there is photographic evidence from an old SAM article clearly showing Type B roundels on the upper surfaces of the upper wings.

Here's the long-running thread discussing the topic of Far East Vildebeest camo...for those with the constitution to digest some 17 pages of opinions:

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

I have the original releases of the Vildebeest and Vincent from about ten years ago. Great kits but a big issue is that the rear gunners position in the Vincent and Vildebeest III had a Fairey High-Speed mounting for the rear gun not the Scarff ring as in the kit so needs some of the rear decking cutting back. Don't think this has been addressed in the new re-release.

Indeed, thanks for this hint. Unfortunatelly you are right - in shown model on short film the rear gunner position is not corrected...

6 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Here's the long-running thread discussing the topic of Far East Vildebeest camo...for those with the constitution to digest some 17 pages of opinions:

Thanks for this link,apparently  I was a bit lazy to dig for it.... :)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

9 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Thanks for that. Not knowing what the differences are could you enlighten me please? Much appreciated.

52 minutes ago, JWM said:

Indeed, thanks for this hint. Unfortunatelly you are right - in shown model on short film the rear gunner position is not corrected...

Thanks for this link,apparently  I was a bit lazy to dig for it.... :)

Cheers

J-W

Again, many thanks for that. It now makes it even more confusing.....You know how this hobby works, you finish it and even more evidence comes to light that it's wrong...whichever scheme you choose.... Again, thanks anyway for the input everyone.👍

33 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Again, many thanks for that. It now makes it even more confusing.....You know how this hobby works, you finish it and even more evidence comes to light that it's wrong...whichever scheme you choose.... Again, thanks anyway for the input everyone.👍

Having studied all the known pics of FE Vildebeests, there appear to be 2 main schemes: a pre-May 1940 high-contrast scheme and a 1941 low-contrast scheme.

The high-contrast scheme is likely Light Earth and Dark Green with black undersides, Type B roundels on the upper wings and Type A roundels on the fuselage and lower wings.  

The low-contrast scheme is likely Dark Earth and Dark Green with black undersides, Type B roundels on the upper wings, Type A on the lower wings, Type A1 on the fuselage, and a large flash occupying the entire fin.  This scheme appears to have a variation with undersides painted probably Sky Blue without any underwing roundels.

There's no guarantee that the above colour callouts are 100 percent accurate, and others will likely disagree....but it constitutes my best assessment (for what that's worth).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithjs said:

Thanks for that. Not knowing what the differences are could you enlighten me please? Much appreciated.

There is an excellent work in progress feature somewhere  on this

site, by Patrik, where he recreates the Fairey mounting and cuts back the decking aft of the

gunners cockpit. Also has photos of the real aircraft. Look under Vildebeest mk IV

Cheers, Paul