My Next Build

RudyBob

I have driven by this jet for decades. I just thought it a Sabre. When I actually looked into it I found it to be a F-84F Thunderstreak. I read up on them and found they were essentially a failure in most regards

I am going to paint like this oneesky.jpg

12 hours ago, RudyBob said:

I have driven by this jet for decades. I just thought it a Sabre. When I actually looked into it I found it to be a F-84F Thunderstreak. I read up on them and found they were essentially a failure in most regards

I am going to paint like this oneesky.jpg

Failure? 

2,711 built, 1,301 went into to NATO air forces under Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP).   They did the job they were designed to do. Failure is not really a  word I would use for this aircraft type.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Failure? 

2,711 built, 1,301 went into to NATO air forces under Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP).   They did the job they were designed to do. Failure is not really a  word I would use for this aircraft type.

Selwyn

That's not how I interpreted what I read. 

21 hours ago, Sandlapper said:

You know building it up and weathering it just like the one on display would be interesting 

The paint will be fun. I intend on an extensive picture taking trip. The weathering is not something I have ever done. I hope to find time and an inexpensive build to learn on one day but it is a low priority in my life

6 minutes ago, RudyBob said:

That's not how I interpreted what I read. 

They were not  perfect by any means, but most 1950's designed aircraft  were in the same boat.   It appeared to be quite effective  in combat use in the Suez campaign.

Rubbish aircraft are not made in their thousands and certainly would not be kept in service  on the front line for such a long period (from 1954 to the early 1970's). It was arguably one of the most significant aircraft designs of the period and was generally replaced in service in European Airforces  by the F104.

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RudyBob said:

The paint will be fun. I intend on an extensive picture taking trip. The weathering is not something I have ever done. I hope to find time and an inexpensive build to learn on one day but it is a low priority in my life

I’m thinking you should hang around in the armor section they (we) use a ton of filter techniques that would really work well. Basically hit it with very thinned paint to give everything a washed out look.

• Like 1

I just read the memoir of Gordon Graham, of P-51D "Down for Double".  He had a very low opinion of the F-84F, but it tried to kill him a few times!  I have a bit of a soft spot for the type, because I like the look and I was an early (in age) fan of Richard Bach.  His book "Stranger to the Ground" revolves around a flight in an F-84F, for those that don't already know.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 5:06 PM, RudyBob said:

I read up on them and found they were essentially a failure in most regards

Where did you read that?  Sure, it was underpowered, but so was just about every jet fighter of its era.  Otherwise it did its job admirably, although simply due to the time period it was in service, it never fired a shot in anger as far as I'm aware.  They were in service for a very long time with a lot of NATO allies.  I'd hardly call it a failure.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, RudyBob said:

OH Yea I bought the Airfix 1/72 F-84F Thunderstreak 3022 on ebay in my price range which is < $15 delivered

Hahahah... I think the very first one I bought was a princely $1.49 at the original Squadron Shop location in Detroit!  It was the first Airfix kit I had ever seen in the flesh.  Airfix was pretty exotic stuff in Detroit in the mid-1970s.

59 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

Where did you read that?  Sure, it was underpowered, but so was just about every jet fighter of its era.  Otherwise it did its job admirably, although simply due to the time period it was in service, it never fired a shot in anger as far as I'm aware.  They were in service for a very long time with a lot of NATO allies.  I'd hardly call it a failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-84F_Thunderstreak

Under Development and Operational History sections. I only compare something to itself.  I don't bother with similar unless I am doing math

9 hours ago, RudyBob said:

I may do a build log if the prerequisites aren't to onerous

There are no "prerequisites".  Post the build log in the "Works in Progress" section (of "Aircraft Modelling", where we are now), then when you're done you can do a post in "Ready for Inspection".  The hard part is figuring out how to post images, but you've already done that.