English Electric Lightning T4 - 226 OCU

I touched up the seats a bit - just a little dry brushing, detailing and some pin wash, but I think it's made a lot of difference.

DSC_0374%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0375%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0376%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

With a scratch built pull loop up top, should look OK. Not the best, but I'm alright with them.

I also started blending in the nose ring repair. Once that's done, there's more repair scribing, but then I'm on to painting.

DSC_0385%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

• Like 9

propforward, my mate! :frantic:Following the Six Nations Rugby, yeh?

Such an epic build!

Say, are those the kit seats or have you purchased the ones by Q.M.T? They look so alike, anyways.

Thinking about saving my Q.M.T ones for the Aeroclub Vulcan, but I don't think they'll be seen as much as on the T4.

I've got the Airfix Lightning kit with the T4/5 conversion set by Aeroclub.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

propforward, my mate! :frantic:Following the Six Nations Rugby, yeh?

Such an epic build!

Say, are those the kit seats or have you purchased the ones by Q.M.T? They look so alike, anyways.

Thinking about saving my Q.M.T ones for the Aeroclub Vulcan, but I don't think they'll be seen as much as on the T4.

I've got the Airfix Lightning kit with the T4/5 conversion set by Aeroclub.

Cheers,

Unc2

YES! Off to a good start - England for the Grand Slam this year I reckon.

Whoops - hope I'm not stirring anything up there.

Thanks for your kind words. These seats are the kit ones. Decent resin seats. I think there are better ones avaiable, but these came up OK.

I'd like to see your aeroclub T conversion. I have a couple of the Omega Resin conversions and a CMK twin seat conversion too. I'll be interested to compare them all.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, well I've had enough of filling, sanding and scribing, so I'm going with it as is at this stage.

Seats in, canopy front on.

DSC_0432%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0434%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Finished repair of the intake ring as well, although it didn't show too well in the pic.

DSC_0435%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, with England in the world cup final, that has spurred me back in to action. Er, sort of. Next week could be big............

Anyway. Canopy got fitted. Then it got pulled off because glue ran and spoiled a corner of one window. That got polished out, and the canopy is back on - more closely fitted this time. And............a bit more filling and sanding. I've had a devil of a time with this model, but I'm getting it there. I have seen others make these Sword Lightnings, and not seem to have the problems I have had, so I have to believe some of my assembly must have been off. I'll take a slightly different tack next time. But for now, more finish filling and sanding.

IMG_5114%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5116%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5120%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5121%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5122%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

• Like 8

On 10/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, propforward said:

Well, with England in the world cup final, that has spurred me back in to action. Er, sort of. Next week could be big............

Respects about that, my mate! Brits ought to be the champs next week; they defeated the Kiwi big time. It's damn fair that your chaps win RWC this year. I've got nothing against the Kiwi, but I'm afraid they've become sort of TOO cocky as of late. :lol:

On the other hand, the Bokke have already won the William Webb Ellis Cup on two occasions, so the Brits winning it once again will make things more even, methinks. 

Incidentally; yer build's going fine!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

Looking fine. Not my scale any more but will be great to see.

By the way I haven't seen Slater MEK PAK in years!!!!!   Is it still availabe????

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas! I was genuinely disappointed that Wales didn't take their semi final - England vs Wales would have been a belter of a final. As it is, I predict a very physical game - hoping the ingenuity shown against the All Blacks sets England well for the Boks. Looking forward to that.

As for Slaters MekPak - seems like they are still going strong!

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/mekpak.php

My bottle is about 25 years old, and now I just use it as a decanter for the MEK from the hardware store (can't get Slaters over here) - but the hardware store stuff seems to do the job of gluing models just fine. Good for making sprue goo too!

• Like 2

Well, so much for the world cup. South Africa played a brilliant game, and hats off to them. That's the game for you!

Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadually getting the canopy blended in to the fuselage. A touch more clean up, and I'll move on to painting. Got to look and see if T4's had a windshield vent on the outside. The T5's did on the port side front window. I'll just have to sit down and browse lots of Lightning pictures.

IMG_5147%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 3

Prop forward ...

This is great!

Where did you get the clear plastic (?) stand you’re using and which appears in some of your photos - is it something on sale or something you’ve made yourself?

From someone who has a Sword Lightning kit in his stash and who’s very impressed by your model.

Jonny

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jonny. The sword kit makes into a decent model for sure, but being a smaller run model by a smaller company, doesn't have the finess of a Tamiya (for example), so be prepared to work at it. But the overall shape is all there, I'm still hoping for a decent result.

The stand is called a Flightpose. Originally designed for displaying Sci Fi models, but have a multitude of uses - they do make great in progress stands.

https://flightpose.com/

Don't know if they are available in the UK - but I'm sure you could mail order them from the website.

Thanks lots, Propforward -

How’s the Lightning T4 coming along?

I’ve looked for ‘Flightpose’ in the Hannants website but they aren’t included in the list of manufacturers.

I’ve tried a Google search for other UK stockists and found one selling all three ’Flightpose’ stands, for GBP16.99.  Not bad given the often disproportionately high postal costs from the USA.

Thanks again for a very helpful reply,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
Confirm UK stockist found

Thanks Jonny - good find. Must be this place:

https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/4-adjustable-display-work-base-stand-flightpose.html

The stands are a bit pricey, but their adjustability is great, makes them a very nice work holder.

Haven't done much on the Lightning over the past week - I never seem to have the time and energy weeknights, although I need to make more effort. However, I'm off down the shed shortly. I confirmed that the production T4's did indeed have a windshield rain clearing vent on the port side, so I'll add that, and also hope to do a first coat of primer today, to at least check seams and joints. I'll be focussing mainly on my Typhoon though, which is now ready for upper surface masking and painting. Should be agood weekend of modelling, :clap2:

I may also pull the lid off my Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire and gaze longingly at it. I think that's up next, but I'll need to finish this T4 and the Typhoon before I allow myself to start. But I've been acquiring resin, brass and decals for it.

Edited by propforward

Not too much progress - but did a little more sanding and scribing this morning, and added the windshield vent, which is simply a teeny piece of flat plastic.

IMG_5168%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Probably a little large - but the intent is there anyway.

A reference pic

IMG_5167%20%28Large%29-X3.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, propforward said:

Thanks Jonny - good find. Must be this place:

https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/4-adjustable-display-work-base-stand-flightpose.html

The stands are a bit pricey, but their adjustability is great, makes them a very nice work holder.

YES!!  That’s the company I found.  Once I’ve sorted an issue with PayPal (my present credit card expires at the end of the month, 11/19, which my bank assure me means it’s still ‘live’ whereas PayPal think HAS expired - so when I’ve registered my new one, I’ll be back to HMHobbies to order a stand).

Meanwhile, good luck with finishing the Lightning and getting on with the Typhoon.

Started priming today - but was in for a day of disappointment.

IMG_5189%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Some of the seams still aren't properly closed up. Canopy joint and the spine immediately behind need attention.

IMG_5190%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Biggest issue is the wing root.

IMG_5192%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5191%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Got to do better than that - that will stick out like a sore thumb. More filling and sanding needed - but I couldn't face it today, so that will have to wait.

Oh well. Two steps forward, one back.

• Like 3