This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
mackem01

GRRR, Quick rant........

Modelling has ceased for the evening as my safety-top on the bottle of liquid poly is SO safe it won't open!😠! That now makes two liquid poly, one satin varnish, and one matt

varnish I can look at whistfully. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem and is there a way round it?

Ticked off, signing off. Thanks for listening. Done now.

Mackem, would I be right to assume the bottles are Tamiya or Humbrol?

Get yersen a pair of 'Mole Grips' or a pair of Stilsons, either will sort the problem.

One suggestion, wrap cloth around the neck of the bottle, just may stop the bottle neck breaking.

Oh, and a spare bottle and lid, so if you do break the recalsitrant lid / neck you'll have somewhere to put the contents of said bottle.

Paul

Invert the bottle.

Dribble lacquer thinner into the gap around the bottom of the cap.

Drink pint.

Using 2 strap wrenches uncap the bottle.

Strap  wrenchs are rubber strips with a handle to bind on the cap for grip.

Clean the cap and bottle so it wont happen again.

Boil a kettle of water, stop it before it reaches boiling point...……………….pour over cap and keep testing for the warmed up varnish/paint to release cap.  It happens a lot with Tamiya and railmatch bottles, works every time.  Before this trick it was common for the top to shatter by force

Give it a whack with a hammer - might not fix the problem but it relieves the frustration. Might want to do it outside 'just in case'! :)

3 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Give it a whack with a hammer - might not fix the problem but it relieves the frustration. Might want to do it outside 'just in case'! :)

YOU! Your NO help at all.............................FUNNY........but no help! ;)

Ever thought of throwing the bottle against a wall?....................................................

I'm with Kallisti except I'd use a catapult to fling your bottle.

(hot water)

You can have some success with a USB cup warmer, by standing the paint pot on its head.  If not, plumbers' grips or boiling water, but with any water you risk ruining the label, which renders the pot a bit of a nuisance to identify.  If my metal Alclad cans get stuck, I sometimes play a lighter over the cap to loosen things.  Just remember not to overdo it, and that the resulting cap will be a bit hot :jump_fire:

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

with any water you risk ruining the label,

Turn the bottle on its side at an angle and run the hot water over the stuck lid(any other way and you end up poring hot water over your hands) .................it goes nowhere near the label...……………….unless the label is on the top of the lid.  Molegrips shatter plastic tops, you maybe lucky and get away with it a couple of times, but eventually you will shatter a top...…….don't ask how I know, I ended up decanting into another container, removing label with hair dryer and applying that to new container

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

You can have some success with a USB cup warmer, by standing the paint pot on its head.  If not, plumbers' grips or boiling water, but with any water you risk ruining the label, which renders the pot a bit of a nuisance to identify.  If my metal Alclad cans get stuck, I sometimes play a lighter over the cap to loosen things.  Just remember not to overdo it, and that the resulting cap will be a bit hot :jump_fire:

Its best serve your drink, cold.

15 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Molegrips shatter plastic tops

They'll also shatter glass bottles unless you set them just right. :owww:  That's why I use plumbers' grips, as you can vary the pressure, and they're serrated, which meshes (partially) with the ribs on the caps of some paints and gives you more purchase without having to grip harder. :)

s-l640.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike said:

They'll also shatter glass bottles unless you set them just right. :owww:  That's why I use plumbers' grips, as you can vary the pressure, and they're serrated, which meshes (partially) with the ribs on the caps of some paints and gives you more purchase without having to grip harder. :)

I agree 100% with you Mike, had the neck break on me, bottle was so old...……...and the paint had turned into Loctite...………………...I eventually found out a few years ago about the hot water trick...………...caps become undone in about 30 secs...……..not had a breakage since  

Just now, rayprit said:

I agree 100% with you Mike, had the 

Is this your version of the "how do you keep an idiot in suspense" joke? :lol:

2 elastic bands and a good twist, preferably good ol' RM ones they seem to be the strongest I've found. 

Wrap one round the top and one round the bottom and twist by hand in opposite directions. :)

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is this your version of the "how do you keep an idiot in suspense" joke? :lol:

amended accordingly Mike...……….I hit the send button by accident and added the missing message after I realised...………...nice to see that your on the ball and spot the smallest "hiccup"  shows whose the boss...……….:wall:

3 minutes ago, rayprit said:

your on the ball

Now that's funny! :cwl: I couldn't be less on the ball if I tried :dunce:

8 minutes ago, DannyB said:

2 elastic bands and a good twist, preferably good ol' RM ones they seem to be the strongest I've found. 

Wrap one round the top and one round the bottom and twist by hand in opposite directions. :)

We are still talking about paint pots, aren't we?  I might struggle to find a laccy band to go round my bottom :hmmm:

I've had Airfix paint dry up in the bottle never to be opened again.

Hot water is for wimps. I use a blow torch.😡

But hot water does work. I opened a paint bottle that hadn't seen the light of day in twenty years. The paint was usable too.

I once had a well and truly stuck axle nut on my motorcycle. I consulted the mechanics in work. An aviation company. They produced a powerbar, two foot long. That did the trick. The nut came loose with an almighty crack. When I went to pick up the nut it burned my hand because of the release friction. 😖 

So as a last resort, leverage works. 

The hot water method is the best. How do I know? My wife told me. For years, she'd been doing this with her bottles of nail varnish. Fill the sink with hot water and put the bottle in for about a minute. That's long enough to soften the varnish and allow the top to turn without resorting to the use of grips.

John.

Just read this.  Amusing how the fact that the OP is talking about safety tops, the ones that you have to push down and then turn and the ensuing remedies have soon overlooked that explaining how to remove standard tops that were gummed on with dried paint.

I think I know what the OP means - where the latches inside the lid don’t engage when the lid is pushed down so the lid just spins freely without coming off.

Cheers,

Nigel 

3 minutes ago, nheather said:

talking about safety tops, the ones that you have to push down and then turn and the ensuing remedies

That's the problem with those child proof tops,only kids can open them....

I usually just remove the child proof cap. Easy with a pair of cutters.