P-70 Nightfighter "Dusty" Questions

Tweener

Have recently begun to work on the MPM / Revell P-70 night fighter after finally getting my missing sprue issue resolved.

However, vague instructions and my lack of references to clarify them has hindered my progress already. The main areas of confusion concern the engine nacelles, and specifically the exhausts and upper intakes. 

The specific aircraft I am building is "Dusty", stationed on new Guinea in 1943.

P-70 Dusty 2

Options for intakes are as follows:

Intakes 1

I for one get a feeling that part G38 would be the correct option, but without a proper topside view of the aircraft, I can't say for sure. Does anyone else agree?

Thanks in advance,

Tweener

Tweener,

I think G38 is the correct intake for the P-70; IIRC, C10 would be for the later A-20G/K versions. There were several exhaust variations on A-20's; if you can't find decent references on them, get back. The Squadron-Signal In Acton on the A-20 covers them pretty well, if you have it or can find it. 

Mike

• Like 1

You want  the long tropical intake that goes to the front of the engine cowl , the shot of the "generic" P-70 shows the short std intake and the pic you have at the top of "Dusty" shows the long intake.

The big boxy intake on top of the cowling is present on the sprues as part G27 and indicated for use with both marking options.  As for the section farther back above the wing, the instruction sheet shows G38 used all through the build instructions and C10 on both painting diagrams!  I'm with OP in thinking G38 is the right choice for Dusty.  Can I ask you where you found the colour photo? @Tweener

The intake is in 2 pieces, the tropical filter intake from the front edge of the engine cowl to mate with the original intake its self. C-10 is the later style for A-20G.H.J.K and G38 is for A-20A, C, Boston III, and P-70, A, A1.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:16 PM, 72modeler said:

Tweener,

I think G38 is the correct intake for the P-70; IIRC, C10 would be for the later A-20G/K versions. There were several exhaust variations on A-20's; if you can't find decent references on them, get back. The Squadron-Signal In Acton on the A-20 covers them pretty well, if you have it or can find it. 

Mike

You can perhaps imagine how foolish I feel to have downloaded that book not even a week ago and not thought to have looked through it yet... I definitely agree G38 looks more correct.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Tweener .. Found these two photo’s. The 1st is “Dusty”.

ESqE51k.jpg

The 2nd a Generic P-70 from above. 

1WHUuKX.jpg

I hope these photos help you. 

Dennis

Indeed they do! That first one is quite the shot - if only I were more capable of scratchbuilding... I would love to have a fully exposed engine on mine. One thing that I do find curious is that the photo of Dusty seems to show a different type of nose cone than what my other photos show...

16 hours ago, Seahawk said:

The big boxy intake on top of the cowling is present on the sprues as part G27 and indicated for use with both marking options.  As for the section farther back above the wing, the instruction sheet shows G38 used all through the build instructions and C10 on both painting diagrams!  I'm with OP in thinking G38 is the right choice for Dusty.  Can I ask you where you found the colour photo? @Tweener

Got to love Revell instructions huh? They do the same thing with the exhaust ports on the side of the landing gear bays... That is the next thing to resolve. 

The framing for the windows is very faintly visible in my photo. But its there. It most likely the way the light is hitting the nose in the two photos. Mine seems to be darker day less direct light hitting the plane. Your photo the sun seems to be behind and to the port. The nose art in your photo make the frames pop better as well. 

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The framing for the windows is very faintly visible in my photo. But its there. It most likely the way the light is hitting the nose in the two photos. Mine seems to be darker day less direct light hitting the plane. Your photo the sun seems to be behind and to the port. The nose art in your photo make the frames pop better as well. 

Now that I look again I can see it better. Either way I'm confident based on the other photos to use the glass nose.

Now my only question is what type of nacelles were used on Dusty... There are 3 options offered in the kit and 5 different if you believe the markings guide...

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 9:48 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well i did some more digging and found two more photo’s. 

qpjTraz.png

This one is the closest i’ve found of the cowlings.

7i2K4Dh.jpg

Came from this book. 

218LKhK.png

I hope these help some. 

Dennis

After some research and thought, I came to the conclusion that Dusty was based either on an A-20 A (late series A) or C airframe, which helped me to pick out the cowlings and most of the nacelle. I wasn't sure what the inside of the nacelle would look like, but this image came to my rescue:

A-20C 1

You can narrowly see that the inside of the nacelle features some variety of intake, the type of which is available in the kit. Nacelles have been assembled, and just need some filler and sanding now. Sadly, the landing gear has to be built before attaching them... I haven't any idea how one could avoid shattering the gear, much less to paint the kit around them... Lots of learning ahead!

Thanks, Tweener

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tweener said:

After some research and thought, I came to the conclusion that Dusty was based either on an A-20 A (late series A) or C airframe, which helped me to pick out the cowlings and most of the nacelle. I wasn't sure what the inside of the nacelle would look like, but this image came to my rescue:

A-20C 1

You can narrowly see that the inside of the nacelle features some variety of intake, the type of which is available in the kit. Nacelles have been assembled, and just need some filler and sanding now. Sadly, the landing gear has to be built before attaching them... I haven't any idea how one could avoid shattering the gear, much less to paint the kit around them... Lots of learning ahead!

Thanks, Tweener

That intake you see on the inboard side of each nacelle is for the oil cooler; there is an exit further back. The oil cooler assembly is visible inside the wheel bay. I will try to find a photo or diagram that shows it in more detail. In the photos of the Rod Lewis A-20, you can see details of the exhaust fit- the lower cowl flaps have curved fairings that fit over the exhaust stacks, which are all siamesed and routed out the bottom of the cowling. This exhaust arrangement was commonly seen on P-70's and the later A-20 variants. The inboard wall of the wheel bays have the structure that supports the oil cooler; I know I have some photos that show the oil cooler from the front, the rear, and the wheel bay- I will try to find them. I hope these will at least get you started.

Mike

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/mn/b20_20.shtml

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/a-20-havoc.46800/

Edited by 72modeler
added links
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently found a link to an interesting A-20 website and have posted it below. There are some good diagrams of the powerplant, exhaust system, oil coolers, armament fitsand a very interesting diagram of the turbosupercharger  installation of the A-20 which I have never seen before. This might be useful for you detail freaks!

Mike

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/A20/A20_draft_2.pdf