1/72 Trumpeter North American RA-5C - Vigilante

1/72 Trumpeter North American RA-5C - Vigilante, RVAH-13.  USS Enterprise 1972.  Task Force 77.

With the increasing U.S. military involvement in Vietnam after 1964, RVAH-13 was added to the mix of RVAH squadrons participating in combat operations in Southeast Asia. In conducting pre- and post-strike reconnaissance, the RA-5C would incur the highest loss rate of any U.S. Navy combat aircraft during the Vietnam War, and RVAH-13's experience would more than reflect this.

On 28 December 1972, during Operation Linebacker II, RA-5C BuNo 156633 was lost in combat when it was shot down by a Vietnam People's Air Force MiG-21.  The pilot, LCDR Al Agnew, successfully ejected, was captured by the North Vietnamese as a POW and repatriated to the United States on 29 March 1973. The RAN, LT Mike Haifley was listed as MIA until his remains were returned to the United States in August 1985.

Here is my 1/72 Trumpeter RA-5C using Print Scale decals.  The only thing I've added is the prominent brake lines on the landing gear.

A very nice kit, overdone rivet and panel lines for some but I dont mind them.  A slight wash really springs this to life for me.  Airbrushed using Vallejo Model Air, Flory Dark and Grime Wash and sealed using Xtracrylix Satin Varnish.  A massive and impressive looking aircraft, very pleased that I have added one to the collection.

Phil. 

y4mIb355gihLJ8twSqT-yQvEIQqOOnTycRpgM7ye

y4m7ix1ksoNjbRMlGMEQH9PvpGF-yKdK9oVgeRcu

y4mVoKk-FsQfxRbSUA_FduCoFhk5LS2_q6NmhAQ7

y4m7R9khQqf14HIz7aLxO21016mhf78DGKg-DPuJ

y4mDmWZ-faQBfjt_2GKYC0SblBMOnuvlH0hP0sx9

y4mLE3VpBE8-E-AHnkwMgEIzA16m9g-Kxv1v8WnY

y4mYkhfUhhcsucXroXaGj_3knMRcqLM01wJKwjv3

y4muHKBlz7O3Pe0JHFX2VZi_-s2LM-JeSbttScbo

y4mXFN8m_X1RKAarhBBF4BhFXAlwohllYG6LvSRR

y4mvBOxrLkmiyCvxMK0b8QLVR19JZ1kFRDfVB0el

y4mXduJ4MnYLDCcA6uHwdmmpFR_L70il8C5oG8ci

y4meysl0RbwEtaJnzNsMjKDTsttUIr2AROJPF_pf

y4m4-d1c_21NmfO6hllXrF5HEWX1tdjUoRz7aGuG

y4m3NbBjCAugbzP_fv8F4ou_VZ35D3jCEtIasKvG

y4mnqK6vyHXArECX7p7ZlF7J63hH7H8NxSluuLxJ

y4mGyjCTkhcF2mtX41iTwF-WBka_93LFSxU84lcP

y4mKCJo5aZMZ0MhZz9RaU16Y0m_I39SjL8fgA6vE

y4mnOdVBy82OqoBHZ3-tHxb25i8zxi1DCoZCesb1

y4moIXCujy0hTkbJd8ofYxdvJHgOMTAuWcea5VCe

y4mkuq0S0U3zpy4RrldUV6MuW09liBz4aeEsDMXP

y4mNFBL4EyrPUjZbVAvazyvT4RFN7b_7dRUbe-O2

y4mu4GvJrW92X1Ic6V6_cPO2Wequrbk25ECFx6RV

Thanks for looking.

Phil

• Like 52

That's a real beauty, Phil. The Vigilante was a real hunk of aeroplane, wasn't it! Your build is great and captures the brutishness of her very well. Of course, it was essentially two F-104s strapped together by virtue of having two J79s. They must have sounded fantastic!

Martin

• Like 1

Wow! The nicest Vigilante in the scale I have seen for quite a while. Very nice build of a very capable airplane that was well-liked by those who flew them. The restrained weathering and panel line detailing is refreshing, as well. How did the model go together- anything major to look out for?

Mike

• Like 1

Very nicely built and finished, Phil!  The overdone panel lines and rivets don't bother me either and actually enhance the kit, at least on your build.

There is a Vigilante on display here in California, where I live, at the Castle Air Museum, which I have visited several times.  Yes, it is a massive airplane!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  The kit goes together really well apart from the rear panel where the hook is.  Bit of a tricky one to get looking okay whilst avoiding a step on 3 sides!

The cockpit is lovely - very detailed and would look fab with the canopy open.  I prefer mine closed so miss out on the detail.

The wavy line on the upper wing wasn't by design - without checking references I masked up just the flaps after spraying them white, didn't realise the white went straight across the wing!  I then noticed a few photos of the Vigi with a wavy line so used a touch of artistic licence and applied it to this.  Looks different at least!!

Phil

• Like 2

Terrific.  A great paint finish and I really like the tableaux with the groundies etc.  I've always like this impressive beast, even if it did have a relatively short operational career.  With today's tighter defence budgets I wonder whether a longer life would have been eked out of it.

• Like 2