Roden 1/72 Albatros D.III Oeffag s.253 'FINISHED'

Smudge

Hello Chap's,

This is a little unfinished project from the Eleventh Hour GB, which recently finished. I was unable to get it finished in time, due to just being too busy and also partly to some procrastination on my part about how to go about achieving the 'summer camouflage' and which colours to use. The Roden instruction are a little confusing regarding the colours, but as best as I can work it out, it involves two greens and a brown. Anyhow, here is a link to where I was up to:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044673-roden-172-albatros-diii-oeffag-s253/&page=2

And here is the start of the camouflage. I used a small piece of sponge dipped sparingly into some paint, and then just lightly dabbed on. 

20181119_142913

20181119_142935

Hope to do a bit more this afternoon.

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 6

Thanks, Nimrod. I have a sheet of 'swirl' somewhere in the stash. Always liked the look of it, quite striking I should think. I may have to dig it out and have a look.

Well, here we are after some brown and a lighter green, all enamels.

20181119_191932

20181119_192109

Where the sponge hadn't quite got into the little nooks and crannies I used a small brush to dab a little paint on, and to try and even everything out. So, not too bad, and I think when the decals are on it should look quite passable.

Some heavy handed 'dabbing' has dislodged the starboard aileron, again! These are so thin and delicate. Nearly time for the upper wing to go on.

Cheers.

• Like 7

Great little Albatros!  You have done really well to sponge on the camouflage without breaking that rigging line from the lower wing to the nose,  I would have snapped it for sure!

AW

• Like 1

Thanks guy's.

On 20/11/2018 at 12:33, Andwil said:

............sponge on the camouflage without breaking that rigging line from the lower wing to the nose,  I would have snapped it for sure!

Haha, yes. I would have done so myself. I usually use heat stretched sprue, that would definitely be broken by now. This is my first attempt with elastic rigging thread. It really does stretch quite a lot :)

Well, I was hoping to be posting a few pictures of the Albatros with the upper wing on. However, whilst trying to glue it all together it became obvious that 'something was not right'. The central cabane struts were either too long or the outer V struts were too short by several millimetres. I tried to force it all together, but as one can imagine that did not quite work out.

After giving this some thought and looking at a few other builds and reviews on the 'net, and some scale plans, I think the problem is lack of dihedral on the lower wings. I will need to try and get some 'upwards bend' into them, and this should help remedy the problem.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 3

Ok, so here we are, upper wing on, and most of the rigging done. My first 'bash' at WWI rigging with elastic thread, and it was rather fiddly, but overall I think it is probably better than stretched sprue, once you get the hang of it.

20181127_195824

20181127_195807

20181127_195749

A bit of tidying up and then I'm looking forward to putting the decals on.

Cheers Guy's.

• Like 8

Lovely paintwork, the camo has turned out beautifully!

Elastic thread or monofilament fishing line is always (in my opinion) better than stretched sprue. You just won't be able to get the sprue thin enough for scale rigging.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

Ok. So just finished off a few small details, made up a windscreen from scrap plastic and tackled the decals. They were a little fragile, and the white arrow on the fuselage did break up whilst trying to slide it off the paper onto the model. I also used Winsor and Newton matt varnish for the first time, and I'm very pleased with it. Unlike some other 'matt' varnish I've used recently, this really does dry very matt and not a satin kind of sheen.

So here are a few pictures, I will try and get some better ones for the Gallery latter.

20181205_201650_001

20181205_201640

20181205_201611

Thanks for your interest :) 

• Like 10

• Smudge changed the title to Roden 1/72 Albatros D.III Oeffag s.253 'FINISHED'

Hi Andwil,

15 hours ago, Andwil said:

Is it Friedrich Navratil’s kite?

Yes, it is. One of the options in the box. I was attracted to the camo scheme and what I guess is a personal marking. 

Glad you like it.

• Like 1

Thank you, Ian.

Yes, the cross is rather unusual. I just went with the kit decals I'm afraid, so I can't shed any light on it. The Roden kits do offer a remarkable choice of markings and they seem to be well researched, so I defer to their better judgement  ^_^

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally catching up on this.  I am very impressed.  Lovely paint job, excellent rigging.  I feel that of all the Roden 1/72nd scale offerings, the Oeffag Albs are the best.  Some of my favourites and you certainly nailed it.  Bravo!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the kind comments, guys.

@John D.C. Masters glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to having a bash at the Caudron, but might get a few more 'easier' types under my belt first.

Thinking about doing a little base for the Gallery pictures.

Cheers.