Airfix Defiant, 151 Sqn, RAF Wittering, Jan 1941

85sqn

Hi guys,

this was a reasonably expeditious build for me of one of my favourite WWII era aircraft. I wanted to do an 85 Sqn version but just haven't come across any photos (if any exist) as they only had them for a month or so and used them on three occasions. So, I went for the box decals of this Defiant which is quite well known; N3328 of 151 Sqn, RAF Wittering. Sadly the aircraft was destroyed in a hailstorm along with it's pilot Sgt JL Coulter in Oct 1942. Several pilots flew this aircraft and had claims in it including Sgt Bodien and Ft. Lt Edmiston.

Painted in Xtracrylix with some medium grey added for interest. Resin wheels, Brass barrels and a Yahu instrument panel.

_MG_7327_MG_7328_MG_7325_MG_7310_MG_7311_MG_7312_MG_7314_MG_7315_MG_7317_MG_7318_MG_7322_MG_7323

• Like 49

Beautiful model! Very nicely done Black finish! Looks very convincing. Is there a hint of riveting on the outer wing panels? 

Interestingly - many people seem to feel the need to rivet Defiants more than any other type. I think it is due to seeing flash pictures from the restored example at Hendon. When you see it with your own eyes - no rivets! They are barely discernible as one wold expect.

• Like 1

Thanks! Ah yes I forgot to mention- I did some light riveting all over. Can't see it unless its in the right light. Also scribed a couple of missing panel lines on the fuselage.

A beautiful Defiant. One of my favourite aircraft.  You've got the black spot on!

I know what you mean about 85 Sqn's Defiants (and Gladiators). When I did mine, I decided to just bite the bullet and accept that they most likely just had the standard VY-? codes.

No idea how I'm going to do my Gladiator though. I have a serial for one, and a photo, which doesn't show the fuselage well enough. I know they were ex-87 Sqn aircraft, so my first thought was to stick with 87 Sqn markings, but from what I can see of the photo, it looks like no sqn markings....

Incidentally, I recently managed to get hold of a Grob Tutor, so I can at last do 85's last aircraft...

• Like 1

What a beautiful build, great build and even better paintwork, it would have been so easy for the black finish to look all wrong but you have nailed it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys, very kind of you. I am just working on a lysander with a half black finish so I'll probably do a similar thing with that. I may highlight the ribs/longerons  of the lizzie with a grey to provide some interest.

This is a wonderful build - you have done a superb job of shading the overall black finish. How did you do that? I don't know where to start, and being able to shade the black is holding me back from starting night fighters and bombers.

• Like 1