American Airlines MD-11 (Eastern Express 1/144)

I've read and seen so many horror stories about Eastern Express kits and the irregularities in their moulding processes, so that when I bought this kit a few years back, I was prepared for the worst and assumed my kit's box contents were not going to turn out to be one of the lucky kits that had no fit or moulding issues. EE did not disappoint, the kit fuselage halves were different lengths by 2-3mm and the rear bulkhead section was narrower that the width of the forward fuselage that it joined to - many pieces were different thickness plastic amongst many other issues too many to list. Needless to say, I worked around the problems and have ended up with this having discarded to EE KLM decals in favour for 26 Decals American Airlines. Nothing special but enjoyable to build despite the assembly irritations

Limited by poor light and the choice of background colour to use here when photographing, I have been left with some pretty gloomy looking pictures

DSCF8097

DSCF8100

DSCF8101

DSCF8102

DSCF8103

DSCF8104

Thanks for dropping in for a butchers...

John

Edited by Gimme Shelter
spelling
  • Like 31

Excellent result from a kit which is, to put it politely, sub-optimal.

I've got a half-built one knocking about in the loft somewhere.  I never did figure out how to attach the wings which is a pretty fundamental part of building any model aircraft!  Respect from me for just getting the thing together never mind producing such a fine looking model.

Great result along with your two Dreamliners. Three in a day is pretty impressive!  Please keep them coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cracking build, love the MD-11 And you've done a stunning job, especially with the silver, wonderful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

Certainly no sign of any of the infamous EE MD11 issues on this one, superb finish, I love it! I think this is one of my favourite MD11 liveries.

Can't help thinking the stand could do with some decoration though!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, jonf45 said:

Cracking build, love the MD-11 And you've done a stunning job, especially with the silver, wonderful!

Cheers - I used Alcad II Polished Aluminium - great stuff to work with but keep the PSI low (12-14 psi) despite what the bottle says

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

Certainly no sign of any of the infamous EE MD11 issues on this one, superb finish, I love it! I think this is one of my favourite MD11 liveries.

Can't help thinking the stand could do with some decoration though!

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers Ian - having used Windsor Castle and LHR for the dreamliners, I was thinking about having an aerial top down view of the Florida Keys on the base (it's a spare Zvezda stand in fact) -

WOW!! You did a wonderful job tackling this kit, John. I've heard more complaints than compliments regarding the assembly of the EE kit. Having never laid eyes on one unassembled, and considering all the issues, you've done remarkably well. Cannot tell that there any issues at all looking at your pics. Nice job on a beautiful bird, and a most difficult livery to master. 😉 Agree with you concerning the Alclad application; low pressure and low spray area brings forth a nice finish, provided the base coat is done properly. Did you attempt the landing gear? Just wondering how the gear are in this kit...I will eventually tackle one, and am planning to use the photo etch parts to complete the details.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

WOW!! You did a wonderful job tackling this kit, John. I've heard more complaints than compliments regarding the assembly of the EE kit. Having never laid eyes on one unassembled, and considering all the issues, you've done remarkably well. Cannot tell that there any issues at all looking at your pics. Nice job on a beautiful bird, and a most difficult livery to master. 😉 Agree with you concerning the Alclad application; low pressure and low spray area brings forth a nice finish, provided the base coat is done properly. Did you attempt the landing gear? Just wondering how the gear are in this kit...I will eventually tackle one, and am planning to use the photo etch parts to complete the details.

thanks for the words there - I did not bother with the undercarriage from the onset as I intended to pose this on the Zvezda stand - from memory the kits gera did not look up to much and I suspect there must be better 3rd party white metal / resin alternatives out there on the market

cheers - John

• 1 month later...

Awesome MD-11 .

I just love that bird.

The EE kit is quite a challenge,I  had my fight with it some time ago,you just did a superb job.

I still have 4 of those kits in my stash,that will show up someday here on BM.

• Thanks 1