Virgin Atlantic 787-9 Dreamliner (Zvezda 1/144)

Poor lighting and a limited choice of background colour has left this build looking like a flight on a dark and gloomy overcast rainy day.

This is the Zvezda -9 kit with 26 Decals and some top-up details from a F-Decal detail set. Nothing amazing but great fun to build with Zvezda's superb part fitting. Other than the change in decal livery, this was built straight from the both with no 3rd party resin / correction parts used.

DSCF8054

DSCF8055

DSCF8057

DSCF8069

DSCF8093

DSCF8094

DSCF8095

DSCF8096

Thanks for dropping in for a look around

John

• Like 44

Another stunning build of a beautiful plane :)

nice to see a -9 too, and great finish with the colours, fantastic work😍

8 hours ago, phil1 said:

beautiful job john! ive done the same job myself and wondered what you used for the metallic red?

phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for the kind words - I used a silver undercoat below a Alcad II Candy Red for the Virgin red areas - worked a treat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Phil

Thanks for the kind words - I used a silver undercoat below a Alcad II Candy Red for the Virgin red areas - worked a treat

hi john

i used tamiya TS18 but I think your alclad finish is probably the way forward for the new VS livery. what did you think of the chevron nozzles on the engines?? i snapped mine off a few times as they were ridiculously fragile, in terms of assembly of the engine I thought it was a bit of an odd one for zvezda 

Hi John,

Wow this is a beauty!

I thought Phil's use of TS18 was about the best for Virgin Red but I think I've changed my mind this Alclad Candy Red is brilliant. I'll have to remember that as I might have a VS 747-400 sometime in the future.

Cheers,

Ian

10 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

Wow this is a beauty!

I thought Phil's use of TS18 was about the best for Virgin Red but I think I've changed my mind this Alclad Candy Red is brilliant. I'll have to remember that as I might have a VS 747-400 sometime in the future.

Cheers,

Ian

I'll root out which Candy I used as there are a few that look very similar - I'll let you know. The base metallic was Alcad II Polished Aluminium and then overcoated with 3 or 4 dusty overcoats of the Candy red and then coated in Klear

13 hours ago, phil1 said:

hi john

i used tamiya TS18 but I think your alclad finish is probably the way forward for the new VS livery. what did you think of the chevron nozzles on the engines?? i snapped mine off a few times as they were ridiculously fragile, in terms of assembly of the engine I thought it was a bit of an odd one for zvezda 

Hi Phil

I had the same issues too - annoying wasn't it!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words gents - I did not think this Virgin would generate such interest. In case any of you have any build plans for the same planned, here are a few trinkets for you that I took on my mobile on Saturday morning last weekend. If you click on the photos - this should take you to Flickr and you can watch them as videos (most of them)

20181117_125557

20181117_132803

20181117_132916

20181117_132949

20181117_112638

20181117_112646

20181117_112654

20181117_113306

20181117_113353
20181117_113436

20181117_121344

20181117_125611

Those fat boy Trent 1000's are HUGE !

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2018 at 16:02, Gimme Shelter said:

Poor lighting and a limited choice of background colour has left this build looking like a flight on a dark and gloomy overcast rainy day.

This is the Zvezda -9 kit with 26 Decals and some top-up details from a F-Decal detail set. Nothing amazing but great fun to build with Zvezda's superb part fitting. Other than the change in decal livery, this was built straight from the both with no 3rd party resin / correction parts used.

DSCF8054

DSCF8055

DSCF8057

DSCF8069

DSCF8093

DSCF8094

DSCF8095

DSCF8096

Thanks for dropping in for a look around

John

Great work on that Dreamliner.

It really looks awesome in the Virgin livery

• 4 years later...

Hi John,

Beautiful 789! Love it💙✈️

I was just working in the 788 Air Canada "toothpaste" scheme as it were but scrapped it with issue after issue but a brilliant learning curve for me!

May I just ask what paint you used for the main fuselageon the 789?

I've used the Alcald paints for a while now, amazing! With the candy red, did you spray mega light coats and if so how many?

Many thanks, Miguel👍