Arma Hobby - Hurricane Mk I 1/72

Wojtek Bulhak

Hello Modellers

Here is first thread about Arma Hobby model kits in Manufacturers area in Britmodeller. See Rumouranger thread on topic here

Today's news are test shots photos and report on armahobbynews.pl. Here are some sneak peek:

HURRICANE-TEST-07.jpg

HURRICANE-TEST-03.jpg

Your comments and questions are welcome. More information you can find also here

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Shouldn`t both sides in between the wheels bays be pointy? I`m referring to this shot:

HURRICANE-TEST-10.jpg

Am I wrong or is a chunk missing from the plastic part there? If it`s a mistake I hope you`ll be able to correct it. In any case, great job with this project! I`m looking forward to the kit being released.

Edited by Fin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fin said:

Shouldn`t both sides in between the wheels bays be pointy? I`m referring to this shot:

HURRICANE-TEST-10.jpg

Am I wrong or is a chunk missing from the plastic part there? If it`s a mistake I hope you`ll be able to correct it. In any case, great job with this project! I`m looking forward to the kit being released.

Yep! That's definitely been short-shot.

Chris

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Yep! That's definitely been short-shot.

While the questions of shapes will soon be explained and properly illustrated by @Wojtek Bulhak, I may assure you that the short-shots are normal on this level of the mould development and there are more of them (eg. aerial mast and rudder trailing edge). Initially diameter and number of the sprues delivering the plastic to the parts is often smaller than necessary and one of the mould correction phases is just improving the plastic flow in the sprues in order to properly fill the parts..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, occa said:

Please review the shape of the nose, the cross section is too pointy and slim at the front of the exhaust stacks

Thank you for careful examination of Hurricane kit engine section. It's shape is somewhat tricky, and Marcin Ciepeirski designed it from factory drawings double checked with aeroplane photos. We try our best to design as accurate as possible model kit. Here are some pictures explaining:

trop-2.jpg

bok-copy-web.jpg

cross-section-copy.jpg

Model 3D redenderings have been already published on 28th July here and some minor shape issues were corrected after modellers comments.

Photos of actual aeroplane are posted for discussion purposes only.

• Like 2

I always shake my head when someone places 2D plan over the photo of a 3D object in order to make any claim. Perspective distortion is  often overlooked and this is the case why such comparisons lead to wrong conclusions. There are couple of chaps on the internet who developed their own methods of "straightening" the photo to real 2D proportion. One of them is the French guy with web nickname Waroff. He explained a bit of his method on French forum Patrouille Simple so please take a look there. Not claiming anything about Arma's Hurricane nose accuracy, I just wanted to draw the attention to the mistake of "drawing over photo" approach. To sum it up - if the drawing perfectly aligns with a photo means the drawing is too short.

Edited by MarkoZG

20 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

I just wanted to draw the attention to the mistake of "drawing over photo" approach. To sum it up - if the drawing perfectly aligns with a photo means the drawing is too short.

Model kit nose shape is correct according to pictures posted above. Thank you for pointing out possible problems with photos distortion. If you are interested in 3D design work - it usually takes a lot of time working with photos and finding out aeroplane shape and details. Picture of factory drawing with photos is just a snapshot of the process. It is hard to explain the process on the forum shortly. You can find some more information about designer tricks here:

https://airplanes3d.wordpress.com/2015/05/30/reverting-perspective-distortion-and-other-tricks/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Thank you for careful examination of Hurricane kit engine section. It's shape is somewhat tricky, and Marcin Ciepeirski designed it from factory drawings double checked with aeroplane photos. We try our best to design as accurate as possible model kit. Here are some pictures explaining:

trop-2.jpg

bok-copy-web.jpg

cross-section-copy.jpg

Model 3D redenderings have been already published on 28th July here and some minor shape issues were corrected after modellers comments.

Photos of actual aeroplane are posted for discussion purposes only.

That certainly looks like your approach is correct.

Likely I got fooled by the photo of the test assembly in post #1

I am looking forward to see the kit in my hands

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, occa said:

That certainly looks like your approach is correct.

Likely I got fooled by the photo of the test assembly in post #1

I am looking forward to see the kit in my hands

No problem. Plastic parts photos are misleading often. It is alway better to ask to have it clear.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Model kit nose shape is correct according to pictures posted above. Thank you for pointing out possible problems with photos distortion. If you are interested in 3D design work - it usually takes a lot of time working with photos and finding out aeroplane shape and details. Picture of factory drawing with photos is just a snapshot of the process. It is hard to explain the process on the forum shortly. You can find some more information about designer tricks here:

https://airplanes3d.wordpress.com/2015/05/30/reverting-perspective-distortion-and-other-tricks/

Thanks Wojtek, you understand what I was talking about. However, the method you gave the link to seems to be less accurate as it consists of assembling segments from different photos which is not entirely correct in geometrical and mathematical way. The only correct method I saw so far is the one here:

http://lapatrouillesimple.forumgratuit.org/t543-photographies-et-plans

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to Arma Hobby. Your kits are very nice. I like it. Hurricane looks awesome. But, please check your decals quality in your kits from Techmod. I build your Pzl.11c and decals was horrible. Decals no cooperate with decal solutions and setters and silverling a lot. Its very sad if some like decals ruins your good model kits. Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:04 PM, Horr!do said:

Hello to Arma Hobby. Your kits are very nice. I like it. Hurricane looks awesome. But, please check your decals quality in your kits from Techmod. I build your Pzl.11c and decals was horrible. Decals no cooperate with decal solutions and setters and silverling a lot. Its very sad if some like decals ruins your good model kits. Thank you. 

Sorry for problems with decals. Hopefully it was just bad sheet, You can get new sheet free when you fill claim on http://www.armahobby.com/webpage/support-faq.html

Generall problem with previous Techmod decals was they were to thin. Hurricane decals, as well as latest Fokker ones are new formula. We asked them for change and they made several tests and trials. Here are our tests of Fokker decals on Hurricane wing:

wing-techmod.jpg

They are much more durable, you can move them easily on wet surface. They do not stretch or wrap around themselves. Work well with decal solutions.

• Like 7