Tarangus 1/72 JA 37 Viggen

Bjorn

Recieved this a few days ago:

45038464525_2e128d3f6d_c.jpg

Having dreamt of a modern 1/72 Viggen since I started building again ten years ago, I started building immediately. The breakdown of parts is almost identical to the 1/48 Viggen by Tarangus/Special Hobby. And details are similar, it feels like a shrinked 1/48 model in many ways - which means great detailing! Panel lines are crisp and fine, the RAT generator is included and almost all errors from the first 1/48 edition are corrected. Fit is good so far except for some difficulties with the JA insert part just behind the RAT:

44134360710_0c1434e50f_c.jpg

45950647091_a106bab8d3_c.jpg

One of few remaining errors is the out-of-the-blue "intake" on the exhaust cone, which however is easily removed.

45950650451_0789b62779_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 20

Some progress yesterday... The rear part of the body and exhaust fitted without any problems at all. Fit is brilliant so far, this is really an enjoyable build! Elevons are cut to make them drooped as they always were on Viggens on ground. Since they are a part of the lower wing part, this was pretty easy. Wings are glued together but so far only dry-fitted to the body. But this also seems to be trouble-free. 

45966872901_f5ed5ec9c1_c.jpg

• Like 13

You are certainly making swift progress with this one and I'm glad to hear the kit is a good one. High time we had a modern and quality kit of this machine!

Nice to see the interest in this kit! :)

Some progress yesterday: A little sanding was necessary when fitting the rear and front parts with the "ring" in the middle (the part that makes the JA version a few inches longer than other versions). But apart from that, fit is almost as if it was a Hasegawa, almost no filler at all was needed.

45074692715_a87f04ec21_c.jpg

• Like 11

That is looking good. I had no idea the JA version was slightly longer than the other versions, but that would seem to be the case. Presumably other releases (or perhaps the Special Hobby version) therefore will allow AJ, SF and SK versions to be modelled. This looks like a very accurate model to have allowed for that small difference.

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Presumably other releases (or perhaps the Special Hobby version) therefore will allow AJ, SF and SK versions to be modelled. This looks like a very accurate model to have allowed for that small difference.

Terry

That is correct, all these versions are planned, and will be released by either Tarangus or Special Hobby. 

• Like 1

The air brakes are separate parts, not a good idea since they are always closed except when they are used. Fit is not perfect, so I had to do some sanding and puttying and make new ones. 

31125528487_5d3e9b8b02_c.jpg

Next step is painting. This will be a pretty weathered one.

46014387332_712f02e85b_c.jpg

45339961154_5cbe247abe_c.jpg

I am too lazy to do the splinter camouflage. However, at the end of their career, some grey Viggens had their exhaust cones replaced with green ones from scrapped older Viggens. A small challenge that suited me. :)

31125504987_8820d7f1b7_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 17

Hi Björn.

Nice and fast progress, your Viggen looks very good so far. I´m glad to hear that the fitting is almost perfect, will ad some of them to my stah when Special Hobby bring theirs.

Regards

Daniel

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 7:55 AM, Bjorn said:

Almost. But the AJ fin is missing,

Just a short notice in case somebody is still reading is -  all required parts, except for the fin is there. The easiest way to fix it is to buy the Heller kit and use the fin from that one. Some minor surgery is required to add the hidden join "rectangle" at the bottom using styrene sheets and rescribing the panel lines (really easy on the fin). You need to figure out what goes where and omit the parts not needed for the SH, AJ or SF versions, such as to use the right instrument panel, canard wing, body ring and pylons and avoid attaching the fourth aileron actuator and gun pod.

The added bonus is that you can then use the remaining parts of the Heller kit to build the SK37 or SK37E (which definitely cannot be built from the Tarangus). Just some decals are needed and possibly some resin pods.

Edited by Thomas Kolb