Spitfire XIV 1/72

Morning all,

I've finished one! This is the Sword Spitfire XIV in 1/72. It took longer than I would have liked but came out OK in the end. The only modifications were to take the tail off and add about 1mm in length at the fuselage/tail join (not sure it was worth it to be honest), and tinker with the rear cockpit section to place the line between the glazing and the fuselage at the correct height (the kit has it too low). I also added the separation hooks for the slipper tank, and nabbed some spare exhausts from an old Special Hobby kit - the Sword ones are a bit messy. The main colours are Xtracrylix, with masking using the blu-tack sausages method. Fiddly but works well. The decals are a mixture of the kit's (roundels and stencils) and Xtradecals. In researching the subject I found the instructions by Aviaology for their 1/48 decals very useful, in that they have a photo which highlights the faded original serial number and the small repainted one at the base of the fin. So I replicated that with decals from the spares box. The model represents the 402 (Canadian) Squadron aircraft flown by Flt Lt Brian MacConnell in March 1945. I quite like the late 2nd TAF scheme with type C1 roundels all round, overpainted Sky fuselage band and black spinner. Anyway, some pictures:

resized_f4786010-c9d4-4223-8f17-649a12c8

resized_27417682-ce15-4496-b5b7-a9f86468

resized_ee565a3a-b89e-4e8e-a148-1707d086

resized_9fcfda4e-ab52-4049-8265-e2f8dc46

Justin

• Like 30

Very neat Mk XIV! The kit seems to be a real improvement over the old and obese Academy one.

Nice also to see radiator housings that look correct, not those bulged boxes that some kits give you and are based on misunderstanding of drawings. There is a rounded shape in plan view, but it belongs to the fairing against the wing, not the box in itself.

Those silver blotches on the prop blades are particularly misplaced on this machine, since the wooden Rotol blades had thin brass sheet sleeves to protect the leading edge. 😄 

Great Mk XIV!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Looks terrific.  A beautiful paint finish and the build really brings out the aggressive look of this version.  Have had all sorts of trouble with mine (FRXIVe) as far as fit goes and had to leave out the cockpit floor in order for the lower wing centre section to fit, although the word 'fit' is used advisedly here. Thankfully I had a spare vacform canopy as the kit's one doesn't come close to fitting.  Anyway, seeing what can be achieved with yours has given me hope that I will, one day, finish it.

• Like 1

Nice and cleanish build. Good choice of markngs🇨🇦 too! But I have still got a Ventura kit to build one day and a built one so I'm set with Mk.XIV Spitfires.

• Like 2