Royal Thai Air Force F-16B from the 1/48 Hasegawa kit.

A mate and I have small (two-man) group build happening so while other kits are either waiting for parts to arrive or paint to dry, I've cracked on with a Hasegawa F-16B.

I've got a small fleet of F-16's to do and I wanted to do a less famous operator. Paired with a two seater and trainer build theme for my clubs QMHE display, I've opted for a two holer from the Royal Thai Air Force. I guess you could say this was motivated by a fellow Aussie builder who built a single seater version a few years ago using a bit of Verlinden resin and the Siam Scale sheet. Imitation, flattery...or whatever they say.

Some of these images were taken in early October but the recent image of the assembled kit is where it's at was as of Sunday afternoon. (18/11).

This is the B version before their aircraft went through MLU upgrades so no bird slicers or additional bits and pieces.

I opted to get into the underside first. Kit undercarriage bay installed.

IMG20181004072153.jpg

IMG20181004072201.jpg

The reinforcing plates around the arrestor hook will need to be addressed. Old molds have taken their toll in this area and the bits are soft as well as out of shape.

IMG20181004072216.jpg

The nose gear bay has been dressed up with some etch courtesy of Eduard.

IMG20181004072230.jpg

IMG20181029070447.jpg

The panel for the ground power point has been removed in readiness for the Verlinden resin. I've placed some lumps of plastic around the resin item. If for whatever reason it separates from the CA it won't be going anywhere. I've built more plastic card around the resin that can be seen here.

The piece of plastic near the intake mouth is one of three that is a stop for an intake blank I've fabricated. No need to tidy up the awful Hasegawa seam.

IMG20181004072246.jpg

IMG20181004072301.jpg

IMG20181118133138.jpg

IMG20181118133152.jpg

Some wire brake lines for the main gear legs.

IMG20181004072337.jpg

Make sure you install the correct gun blast panel, as I found out.

IMG20181024212132.jpg

A few sink marks in the wing tips are addressed with sprue glue. And work done on the under wing join. I've still a bit of tidy up to do here but it looks better than what the photo suggests.

IMG20181024215740.jpg

The front cockpit gets the etch panels. Oddly the canopy lock handle is the wrong way around on the etch piece. I opted to leave it as Sods law would have me bend, snap and lose the piece.

IMG20181029070309.jpg

The reinforcing bands on the wing tanks have been replaced with plastic strut. They're still a bit too think but nothing five minutes with a sanding pad won't fix.

IMG20181029070424.jpg

I chopped off the imaginary version of the locating points on the drop tank pylons that Hasegawa would have you use. Again, a few small thick sheets of plastic with lashing of Extra Thin to melt it all together.

IMG20181029070611.jpg

The exhaust gets the etch on the inside of the petals.

IMG20181029070538.jpg

I've hacked open the MXU travel pod too. The kit has it hinge upward whereas they actually hinge at the bottom. I'll also add a flat internal floor from some plastic card.

IMG20181115063550.jpg

The resin seats compared to the kit seats. A clear win to the resin.

IMG20181115063847.jpg

I think they'll need a bit more height to lift them to the correct position but they're close. I've also nicked the rear frame/rails from the kit and attached them to the resin items.

IMG20181115063441.jpg

And the folly of buying a second (third)?) hand kit. The canopy had come adrift from the sprue during it's travels and I don't think it was a clean amputation. I've built up the messy attachment point with sprue glue over a few nights and then cleaned it up with some sanding pads. The canopy will be closed so the small inside blemish won't be seen after paint has been applied.

IMG20181115063800.jpg

As of Sunday afternoon.

IMG20181118134427.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
Duplicate images removed
  • Like 5

Great work Mick, and I love the RTAF choice! The other guy isn,t TR by any chance?

The Has kit still builds into a nice kit and for a fraction of the asking price of the Tamiya kit 

cheers,

Pappy

1 hour ago, Mick Drover said:

Cheers Pappy.

The decals came from TR, the inspiration is courtesy of AP ;)

Mick

What, you mean this old thing

019_zpszotjpyx6.jpg

:P

Pappy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, whiskey said:

Fantastic work so far. I just bought one of these kits, second hand as well, a couple weeks ago so I am undoubtedly following this with extreme interest. 

Btw, forgive me for asking, but sprue glue?

Great to have you along Whiskey. As Pappy said, the Hasegawa kits are a lot gentler on the wallet. Their numerous release also means you can pretty much do an early block right through to the latest block, albeit with some changes that aren't beyond the realms of being achievable with some basic modelling skills; both single and dual seaters.

Sprue is exactly that. I start with a roughly half bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin glue and then add finely chopped plastic sprue to the bottle. The idea is that the plastic in the glue melts into the surrounding kit plastic which leaves a clean join. I've used Eduard sprue in mine and I'm pretty happy with the result I've had with it. Depending on how much chopped sprue you add means either a thin or think mix. Mine will run a but but it's probably on the thicker side. Keep in mind though that if you layer a lot of the stuff on in one go it will take time to set due to the nature of the glue. If it's a heavy application it will need to gas off and set. So okay to leave on parts early in the clean up period. I tend to use it in small areas as per the wingtip rails. It's also handy for seams.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 1

Thanks Mick. I had an idea of what it was but I wanted to confirm. Is there a set amount of sprue you drop into the extra thin bottle and how long to you let it settle before application?

Edited by whiskey

15 hours ago, whiskey said:

Thanks Mick. I had an idea of what it was but I wanted to confirm. Is there a set amount of sprue you drop into the extra thin bottle and how long to you let it settle before application?

No worries Zach. I made mine up over a 24 hour period and went about it in an incremental way. Started with a half bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin and then added chopped sprue (2-3mm pieces) a bit at a time. Perhaps a 5cm length at first. Let it dissolve and then check its consistency. If it's too runny add another 5cm until you're happy with it. You don't want it to run though you do want it to have some movement. Perhaps the viscosity of warm honey? (Never thought I'd use that as a form of comparison)

Let me know how you go. I'll take a pick tonight so you can see what it looks like in the bottle.

8 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Cracking work Mick, the ground power access looks very nicely done. Regarding the seat height, check this side profile pic if it helps: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7005893 . Helped me get mine  ok!

Look forward to more,

David

Thanks David. The power panel is only a small piece of the larger Verlinden detail set. Who says you have to use it all in one model right??!!

The Jetphotos website is a great source of info. I've got the Reid Publication, Duke Hawkins and Eagle Publication books on the F-16 too so I think I got my bases covered there! It's always handy to have reference close by, screen or print.

On another note, I noticed with the Pavla seats for my Tucano build that they're a bit shallow. Nothing a bit of plastic card can't fix.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, whiskey said:

This it what it looks like Zach.

IMG20181121202131.jpg

IMG20181121202034.jpg

IMG20181121202018.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Back again. 

It's been a busy weekend but some progress has been made. Amongst high school open days and birthday lunches I've manged an hour this afternoon and last night to get the next lot of greys onto the F-16.

Pretty happy with it so far though I need to soften up the demarcation line around the intake lip colours and tighten up the base of the tail.

Cheers

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I spent a few hours this afternoon putting the last of the greys on and doing some touch ups. I glossed it after I took these photos so it's ready for decalling...hooray!!!

The pre-MLU Thai F-16's got pretty dirty in the later part of the career so I'll be working some oils onto it once decaled and sealed.

Decals to come this week!!!

Hope you like it.

Mick

IMG20190602141753.jpg

Pardon these two images, I'll have to wind up the exposure on the camera next time.

IMG20190602141841.jpg

IMG20190602141849.jpg

The end is in sight!

The plan for this week was to have decals on the F-16. Happy to have them at 95% on Saturday night. I've had a look at the pictures of the Thai jets and the radon is significantly darker with a touch of green in it. I'll fix that tomorrow and also paint the IFR as I missed that bit when painting. Once done I can do the last few stencils on the nose and the IFR guide.

You can see the carrier film of the Siam Scale decals in the photo of the tail. Not the greatest but nothing some additional clear and mild sanding won't fix.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I opted to revisit the weathered painting on the F-16 after reviewing the details in the reference images I've got.

The area around the exhaust and top of the fuselage has been re-worked with some darker and lighter shades respectively. It's a lot closer to the real thing.

I'm trying to get this over the hump so I can display it at our annual show next month.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

IMG20190708135413.jpg

IMG20190708135352.jpg

IMG20190708135341.jpg

IMG20190708135330.jpg

IMG20190708135307.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 5