500th completed mode: Meng 1:72 Manshu Ki-98

This is the 500th model I have completed since I restarted the hobby in 1985. It falls neatly into one of my favorite categories: counterfactual aircraft. Though the aircraft was partially assembled at the end of WW2, it never flew. But I'm not doctrinaire - unless it comes to building only in 1:72 scale! - when it comes to aircraft types. This is a beautiful kit, which goes together well with little putty. The decals were not satisfactory though. It was as though there was insufficient adhesive on the decal. It actually would not conform to the curves on the twin booms. Presumably it was a one-off issue; I've never had the problem with Meng decals. So off they came, to be replaced by some markings from an elderly Aeromaster sheet from two decades ago. They were end-of-war suicide bombers, so I thought the squadron markings would be appropriate. 

I'm fairly happy with this one. It has not escaped my notice that the two best models I've produced in 2018 were both from Meng. Next up comes the F-106. At 62, I don't imagine I have another 500 in me, but I'll keep producing until I no longer can. 

This is completed aircraft #500 (17 aircraft, 1 ordnance, 5 vehicles for the year 2018), finished in November of 2018.

DSC-1238.jpg

DSC-1239.jpg

DSC-1240.jpg

• Like 17

Very nice!

I too prefer 1/72 (for aircraft) and that is a little beauty.

Mind you, I have nothing like 500 completions to speak of - so my hat's off to you for your sheer dedication!

Well done!

No doubt there are many more to come.

:clap:

Thanks for holding up the Japanese airplanes flag. A nice build of a phantastic interceptor idea. How you achieve 17 models per year, however, is beyond my grasp. I get 2 planes done at best, and even as a youngster with little eye for detail I may not have achieved this output. As you may calculate I would need to become 250 years of age to pass your record...

Edited by Toryu

On 11/20/2018 at 2:09 AM, Ron Pearcy said:

Lovely build. Thinking of building this kit myself. 

Where on earth do you put all the models?

Ah well, that has become a problem in the last year or so. In the 90s I picked up 3x 3' tall and 6' wide display cases from a retail fixture salvage store. I also have made a number of "temporary" - I'm fully aware of the irony... - boxes with glass tops over the years. I've recently bought a new 6' tall 4' wide display case, but it is still making its way to the reseller from wherever it is made. I'm supposed to get it in January. Since the 10" glass shelves are not adequate for my needs, I'll be replacing them with 16" glass shelves spaced rather closer together. Hopefully that will give me enough room for growth that I can make it work. As it is, I've had to suspend work on a lot of projects (A400M, C-160, Victor) because I literally have no place to put them yet. And what is there is pretty jammed together. I am definitely looking forward to getting this all sorted out. 

• Like 1