New face of £50 - I've nominated Sir Frank Whittle

Radpoe Spitfire

The Royal mint are looking for a face on the obverse side of the new £50 note.

The criteria are a British scientist who is deceased.

Seeing that there has never been a figure from aviation, I have nominated Sir Frank Whittle, simply because his work into the Jet turbine is an invention of international standing. So I ask other forumites to put his name forward and support an  aviation related scientist please👍.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Much as I'd like to see Sir Frank Whittle celebrated in this way, this is doomed from the outset as the first criteria is Scientist. The Science behind the jet engine was all discovered and well established before Sir Frank Whittle was even born, and to my knowledge he made no further scientific discoveries.

He had the engineering knowledge, foresight and tenacity to take established scientific and engineering principles and put them all together to make the first practical turbojet engine. That's invention and innovtive engineering, it's not discovering something new, its developing something new from what you already have.

Brilliant Engineer, yes.

Scientist, I'm sorry, No.

...I normally keep my gob shut when there is anything I disagree with on BM, but cannot this time around.

Wikipedia - "A scientist is someone who conducts scientific research to advance knowledge in an area of interest."

James Burkes' Connections also comes to mind - there are not many scientists, inventors, theorists and so on who can be said to stand completely alone in their field - they are all inter-connected?

My vote is for Sir Frank... 😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

How about Barnes Wallace? or perhaps Alan Turing for breaking the Enigma code?

Although I m not British but Alan Turing comes to mind. For his code breaking took the war to the new direction. Also, has Sir Issac Newton been already represented in any of the denominations?

What about James Watt, the scientist who improved steam engine concept into a practical design? He was Scottish. So I dont know if he will qualify. 

James Watt is covered in £20 note. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/20-pound-note

Edited by stalal

24 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Alan Turing for breaking the Enigma code?

I'd be up for that too, although he did have help from others, including some clever Polish chaps.  It won't make up for how he was treated after the war, but it's a start.

Excuse my ignorance, but have there been any female scientists who known for their work in the field of aviation? I only ask as I was under the impression that there was a preference for greater female representation on bank notes.

• Like 1