British Flying Heavy Metal, Airfix Victor B.2

I pre-ordered this and have been waiting for the right time, having perfected my white painting technique on my Shackleton and Valiant I gave my Victor a go as part of the 1960's Warsaw Pact vs Nato Group Build.

Built OOB apart from the decals which came from Xtra Decal as I wanted my Victor not to be a Blue Steel version, to retain the clean lines of the Victor.

Enjoy:

tn_c3bfbe23-5431-4922-9432-179b14c249ff.

tn_95e45641-c4cd-481c-a12e-1539044fa2ed.

tn_95e45641-c4cd-481c-a12e-1539044fa2ed.

tn_f41f8168-4c2a-473d-8710-deb05c2c27d4.

tn_c6727bed-6135-4e11-8128-80cbd9f0c3ba.

tn_07701d96-24ec-4109-b1a4-38a315144748.

• Like 48

Thanks very much for the comments.

All the di-electric panels were simply masked and not glossed.

The Victor was black based in Citadel Chaos Black, before a couple of passes with Halfords White primer, di-electric panels were masked off and the top coat of Halfords Appliance white were dusted on, one pass at a time over a couple fo days to get an 'eggshell' not quite satin / not quite gloss finish.

The soot staining under the engines and from the APU were done with the cheapest black eye-shadow I could find in Boots and a normal modelling paint brush.

Believe me, buying make up in Boots as a 40 year old man gets 'looks'.🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Unfinished project said:

Stunning looking perfect pair just needs a new Airfix Vulcan to sit alongside and make a terrific trio of V Bombers 👍👍👍

Totally agree, I have a Victor BS with Blue Steel and a K2 on the schedule, the Vulcan and Valiant will have to wait, hopefully by then there will be a new Vulcan kit.🤨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kev67 said:

How was the kit in terms of build

WiP here:

Frankly it is brilliant IF you are very careful to follow instructions and test fit first.  Paint on a joining surface is sufficient to prevent a good fit.

• Like 1

Very nice job, and this is pushing me to my inevitable purchase of this kit (I already have the Valiant, which I am busily working on now, and the Vulcan, which is set aside for now).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hello A.S.

A mean and clean machine.

Excellent build.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2018 at 00:29, Lord Riot said:

Stunning Victor, absolutely beautiful example of my favourite aircraft.

Tempted to do mine without the Blue Steel, the clean look is a good one.

My favourite V bomber, but then I'm prejudiced  because I worked on K.2's in the late 70's early 80's until just after the Falklands unpleasantness. I like the Blue Steel version, and I like the clean bomber, so I am building one of each, not sure if they will both be white yet. I'm going through reference material as I do the initial build, I have noticed that the B.2  and SR.2's should have an intake between the port intake fence (airfix part H36) and the fuselage, it looks especially noticeable on the white aircraft, but was blanked off when the airframes were converted to tankers. And I have 2 tankers waiting in the wings, a late camouflaged 57 Sqn machine and a hemp 55 Sqn one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

My favourite V bomber, but then I'm prejudiced  because I worked on K.2's in the late 70's early 80's until just after the Falklands unpleasantness. I like the Blue Steel version, and I like the clean bomber, so I am building one of each, not sure if they will both be white yet. I'm going through reference material as I do the initial build, I have noticed that the B.2  and SR.2's should have an intake between the port intake fence (airfix part H36) and the fuselage, it looks especially noticeable on the white aircraft, but was blanked off when the airframes were converted to tankers. And I have 2 tankers waiting in the wings, a late camouflaged 57 Sqn machine and a hemp 55 Sqn one.

You can never have too many Victors! 

Thanks for the tip on the intake.

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

You can never have too many Victors! 

Thanks for the tip on the intake.

Very true, I thought 4 was a reasonable start 🙃.  I will try and get some photo's of my changes to the kit for both the bomber and tanker variants.

Bob

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Excellent work, At Sea!

the Victor still looks futuristic, even 50+ years later.

TW

That's what strikes me the most about it.

Real 1960's vision of the future stuff, would love to see one in all over Silver in Spectrum markings. 🤗